Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
Teach

"The Combat Zone"

"The Combat Zone"

Boston’s “Combat Zone” could be a fun place, but it could also be a dangerous place.

The first time I visited “The Combat Zone” I was a 22 year-old Boston graduate-school student who was nearing the end of his course requirements. I recall that two other grad students and I took a break from our studies and headed toward downtown Boston to visit one of the many strip-clubs (adult entertainment) on South Washington St.

As I recall, the strip-club we spent most of our time in was called: “The Teddy-Bear Lounge". At the time, “The Lounge” was located among others clubs in an area that was collectively called: "The Combat Zone". I remember that we walked into “The Lounge” just in time to see "a warm-up" act. There were two women on the stage. One was as thin as a rail, the other was as plump as a "blimp on steroids". I thought, "This is supposed to be “a turn on.” No way!" Yet, I thought later: "Different strokes for different folks."

In the next act, we saw a woman who was doing “tricks” with a brass pole. Her legs and arms were so tightly wrapped around the pole that she appeared like a slithering snake. Oh, could she move and contort her body into shapes that seemed to defy the human anatomy. Her come-hither facial expressions weren’t bad, either. When you're still a young guy, those kinda things set your blood a-boiling. The pole-sliding gyrations bring forth all kinds of illusions and fantasies

Then, about fifteen minutes later, the main attraction appeared on stage. She was a fair-skinned “High Yellow” African-American woman. As a sidebar, I would, years later, pin dollar-bills on a similarly-complected woman who was dancing on a pedestal at one of Washington, D.C.’s alphabet-street strip-clubs near Ford’s Theater. I remember that both women, the one in Beantown and the other, years later, in D.C., both moved with the grace of a ballerina.

As I remember, at least at “The Lounge” the strippers would come down to the bar after their act and request that men buy them cocktails. Could anything be “arranged”? I wasn’t sure. At the time, I wasn’t in the market. One thing I do know is that both in Boston and in D.C. I drank my beers directly from the bottle; there was no taking chances with the glassware that the clubs provided.

Yet, for all the excitement “The Zone” presented, it could be a dangerous place. A Harvard football player – he had graduated from the same Boston high school I had graduated from years earlier -- was killed while trying to get back a friend’s wallet while visiting “The Zone”. He had been stabbed in the chest. He died about one month later.

And yes, there's a sad ending to the story of the “Headliner,” the African-American woman, I saw at “The Lounge” in the mid-1960s. That beautiful woman I saw performing on stage was killed about a half-dozen years later. In fact, in a manner of speaking, I met this woman a few years before she was tragically slain. At the time, she was living in the same apartment complex as my mother.

Moreover, I believe her last name was Foster (although that may have been her stage name). The article I read about her said that she was trying to put her life back together after years on the street. The article went on to say that she was studying to become a hairdresser. All I can recall is that as a “stripper” she had all the moves. She certainly created an illusion on stage, but, then again, the real world can often be cruel. And, I might add --- unforgiving when your life is somehow tied to: "The Combat Zone."

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #2
Ocala Mike

I survived "Boys Town" in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico (1961), "The Combat Zone" in Boston (1967-1968), and "The Deuce" in NY (1969 until they cleaned it up). Kind of a rite of passage, no, Teach?

The only times I was ever really frightened "chasing tail" were in Texas, when I was an anglo on the Tex-Mex side of Corpus Christi trying to hook up with a beautiful young Latina, and later that same year (1964 while in the Air Force), when me and another white guy wandered in to a brothel in San Antonio and unsuccessfully tried to bargain with some rather menacing black pros.

Your stories are quite interesting, though - keep them coming.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
fast4522

In the late seventy's my manager got me to babysit a Russian customer until he got back from a meeting. As soon as my manager was out of listening distance the Russian asked me how far was the walk to the "battle zone", I and showed him from a window the Chinatown arches and said just 5 minutes up that street and they call it the Combat Zone.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BOS NI 2.jpg (259.1 KB, 7 views)
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #4
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
In the late seventy's my manager got me to babysit a Russian customer until he got back from a meeting. As soon as my manager was out of listening distance the Russian asked me how far was the walk to the "battle zone", I and showed him from a window the Chinatown arches and said just 5 minutes up that street and they call it the Combat Zone.
i spent the better part of my youth 3 doors to the left of that place in a basement next door to the 2 o'clock club in a poolroom called the mines.

the mines was as intense a place as you could ever imagine. Shorty Johnson played there along with Cuban Joe. the pockets were the tightest pockets in the world. when a hustler showed up from New York they never won no matter how good they were. the houseman was a guy by the name of Sammy Lira who walked with a limp, but was a good player in his own rights. Willie Masconi walked in the place and played Boston Shorty and all his backers went broke on those tables.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2017, 06:54 PM   #5
jimmyb

Good Time Charlies and the Naked i. Ohhhh the memories. Joe West, the tatoo artist that did my one and only was murdered in the 'Zone'.

Last edited by jimmyb; 10-17-2017 at 06:57 PM.
jimmyb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2017, 07:03 PM   #6
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Good Time Charlies and the Naked i. Ohhhh the memories. Joe West, the tatoo artist that did my one and only was murdered in the 'Zone'.
Good Time Charlies was a hooker joint on LaGrange Street. there are 2 places open today that are across the street from where Good Time Charlies was. they rake in big money, i saw one of the owners of the place at the Breeders Cup a few years ago. he told me his joint was charging $10 for a beer and another $10 to get in the place.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply