Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 07-02-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
Poindexter

Databases for those who don't want to do it themselves.

Are there databases available for us non computer people, I would assume for a monthly fee. For instance if I wanted to see the roi/stats on 1st time starters at race track x over the last 3 years at odds group of 2-5 to 1-1. Or maybe I want to know how horses who just won a maiden claiming 5000 to 12,500 fare at the $7500 claiming level nw 2 races lifetime. Or horses that haven't raced in 365 days or more, or horses whose odds level are below 50% their morning and are under 3-1........................ Basically a series of dropdown boxes so that I can narrow my search to what specifiically I want.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
JJMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
Are there databases available for us non computer people, I would assume for a monthly fee. For instance if I wanted to see the roi/stats on 1st time starters at race track x over the last 3 years at odds group of 2-5 to 1-1. Or maybe I want to know how horses who just won a maiden claiming 5000 to 12,500 fare at the $7500 claiming level nw 2 races lifetime. Or horses that haven't raced in 365 days or more, or horses whose odds level are below 50% their morning and are under 3-1........................ Basically a series of dropdown boxes so that I can narrow my search to what specifiically I want.
Sometimes you can just ask people here on PA for these types of inquiries. Queries would have to be constructed according to your precise parameters.
JJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2017, 03:13 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

http://horseracingdatasets.com/

Not exactly what you want, but some neat free stuff.
Hasn't been updated for a while, but worth checking back on every so often.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:51 PM   #4
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
I think what you are seeking may be available with the Equibase Stat Lens product. I'm not a user (yet) but I've received webinar notices which if I recall correctly mentions some of the things you've mentioned.

Btw, I'm not vouching for this program. I've only watched a few webinars which are very interesting and informative but each are about 1 hour so allocate time for each.

I think recently Ellis Starr provided a web link to their recent webinars. I think it was him. So, my suggestion is to search his recent posts. It couldn't have been more than a month ago.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2017, 05:06 PM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Jcapper

But you'd have to learn it. It's the best but has a learning curve.

Btw, everybody has the same data......so it's very very hard to glean anything of real value from a database or anything else nowadays.

With favorites hitting in the mid 40's ......databases lose their appeal when everybody is using the same data.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:18 PM   #6
JJMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Jcapper

But you'd have to learn it. It's the best but has a learning curve.

Btw, everybody has the same data......so it's very very hard to glean anything of real value from a database or anything else nowadays.

With favorites hitting in the mid 40's ......databases lose their appeal when everybody is using the same data.
Funny you should mention that about fav's. You are correct. The average win% for favorites is no longer the 33% it was for years. It is indeed 38-40%. There is practically no edge left in data analysis. Certainly not anything really considerable. Personally, at the current moment, it is losing its appeal.
JJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2017, 05:45 PM   #7
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike View Post
I think what you are seeking may be available with the Equibase Stat Lens product. I'm not a user (yet) but I've received webinar notices which if I recall correctly mentions some of the things you've mentioned.

Btw, I'm not vouching for this program. I've only watched a few webinars which are very interesting and informative but each are about 1 hour so allocate time for each.

I think recently Ellis Starr provided a web link to their recent webinars. I think it was him. So, my suggestion is to search his recent posts. It couldn't have been more than a month ago.
Found the webinar series link.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...lD90FTTVJqvxuL
Old 07-02-2017, 09:52 PM   #8
Poindexter

Thanks for the input. I will look these things over.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2017, 03:12 PM   #9
CincyHorseplayer

Handicapping information is cyclical. I see the database bet influence. It reminds me of baseball. Once someone understands sabermetrics they think they will endlessly soar over the maddening crowd. It's great for us so much is lost in these mentalities. The best thing I got right now is negative trainer patterns. And there is no database to instill my philosophy. Certain trainers get overbet. When their charges look mediocre bet heavily against. There is no common sense database!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2017, 03:53 PM   #10
Partsnut
BetMix User

Quote:
My choice would be BetMix.
It is intuitive, insightful and accurate.
It is probably one of the best data mining tools out there and offers good value at the price. You can look at a multitude of tracks per day and selectively pick the races that appeal to you. They offer lots of handicapping tools.The support and video tutorials that are second to none and you can easily get past the learning curve.

Last edited by Partsnut; 07-03-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #11
ubercapper

Quote:
Whodoyoulike is correct in that Race Lens does have the ability to query the Equibase database and research these types of things. We wanted to include everything but the kitchen sink in terms data points from pp's in the criteria to allow users to to this and I feel we've achieved a lot in that regard.

In terms of the specific examples mentioned, the queries for first timers go back one year in the angles module and for jockey research and up to five years when doing research on trainers, sires and dams.

In terms of claiming levels we incorporated percentages up and down instead of the dollar amounts and do have most classes as a separate criteria so you could do a query on last start in a maiden claiming and won the race and raised in class greater than 50%. There are also criteria regarding days between starts ranging from '1 to 7 days' up to 'more than 180 days."

The one criteria that is absent from the examples above is morning line odds.

Almost all queries use 'and' as an operator so you can combine as many or as few as you like.

Good Luck.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2017, 11:20 AM   #12
Partsnut
BetMix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post
Whodoyoulike is correct in that Race Lens does have the ability to query the Equibase database and research these types of things. We wanted to include everything but the kitchen sink in terms data points from pp's in the criteria to allow users to to this and I feel we've achieved a lot in that regard.
Good Luck.
At first Glance "Stats Race Lens" looks interesting but from what I can
see from yesterdays 4 horse free race from Finger Lakes, not very predictive. As with most software out there, it seems to lean towards the favorite.
I also noticed that the final live odds were not included in the results model for that Finger Lakes 7th race on 07-04-17.

The flexibility, presentation and user interaction of the tools offered for me, were less then adequate. I favor something a little bit more thought provoking where I can derive the "value" horse". To me, and as far as I was able to see, this was not much of an option.
Actually, I've seen some the options that Stats Race Lens presently offers in other software service products. These options being offered by "Stats Race Lens",collectively and individually, were not appealing to me. In my opinion,they seem to be a re-make and poor representation of features currently being offered by "Time Form and BetMix".

I guess the best way for anyone who has interest in any product is to make a judgement for themselves.
Different strokes for different folks.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #13
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
Handicapping information is cyclical. I see the database bet influence. It reminds me of baseball. Once someone understands sabermetrics they think they will endlessly soar over the maddening crowd. It's great for us so much is lost in these mentalities. The best thing I got right now is negative trainer patterns. And there is no database to instill my philosophy. Certain trainers get overbet. When their charges look mediocre bet heavily against. There is no common sense database!

Good track bias and post parade work is worth money. And with big fields you can spot things many miss. These tiny fields nearly eliminate subtle trip info.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2017, 05:31 PM   #14
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
I'm unsure what you mean by negative trainer patterns.

Are you referring to what I consider as false favorites?

Or, what I hope everybody does by betting overlays versus underlays. Except, I don't just bet all of my overlays because I'm very selective and basically bet on the way I see the race unfolding.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:00 AM   #15
acorn54

a delineation of what are called "overlays", there are "price horses", especially in large fields that are overlays, but i wouldn't bet them if they are at 20-1 and my estimation is 10-1, which translates that if the race was run 11 times, i would cash one ticket and have 10 losing tickets. no thank you. that is not a "value" bet. a overlay that is a value bet as opposed to a overlay that is a price horse, is a very important delineation.
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: