Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #451
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
When people have no "right" to do what they do, but they do it anyway, without suffering any repercussions for it...isn't that "having too much freedom"?
No, it's having too little enforcement. Freedom means that you have a right to do something, that it is legal. If you are saying that "having too much freedom" means getting away with something wrong, then the issue is lawlessness, not freedom.

Quote:
And the NFL players don't have the "legal right" to kneel during the anthem at work...but the team owners have allowed them to do so for how long now? Doesn't this all add up to "having too much freedom in this country"? And the NFL players don't have the "legal right" to kneel during the anthem at work...but the team owners have allowed them to do so for how long now? Doesn't this all add up to "having too much freedom in this country"?
Freedom means that you have a right to do something, that it is legal. The difference is between a right and a privilege. The players don't have a personal right to demonstrate, but the owners have granted them permission to do so. This is a privilege, because the owners have not granted anyone else permission to demonstrate.

And the team owners, who own or lease the stadiums, are exercising their property rights in granting the privilege. Would you say that the owners have too much freedom, because they are allowing this?

Do the antifa scum who break up meetings and lectures have too much freedom, or are they illegally infringing on the freedoms of others?
Old 10-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #452
woodtoo

Clocker spelled it out pretty good. I'm sure you do understand.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:48 PM   #453
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
No, it's having too little enforcement. Freedom means that you have a right to do something, that it is legal. If you are saying that "having too much freedom" means getting away with something wrong, then the issue is lawlessness, not freedom.

Freedom means that you have a right to do something, that it is legal. The difference is between a right and a privilege. The players don't have a personal right to demonstrate, but the owners have granted them permission to do so. This is a privilege, because the owners have not granted anyone else permission to demonstrate.

And the team owners, who own or lease the stadiums, are exercising their property rights in granting the privilege. Would you say that the owners have too much freedom, because they are allowing this?

Do the antifa scum who break up meetings and lectures have too much freedom, or are they illegally infringing on the freedoms of others?
You are playing with the words...IMO. When I said that "we have too much freedom in this freaking country", I wasn't talking about just the "legal freedoms", or the "constitutional freedoms"...I was also talking about the "freedoms" which allow us to keep doing the things for which we should be reprimanded...but aren't.

When parents allow their kids to "get away with something wrong", do we call it "lawlessness"...or do we say that the parents have given their kids "too much freedom"?

Last edited by thaskalos; 10-16-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #454
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
Clocker spelled it out pretty good. I'm sure you do understand.
Keep riding your donkey, friend.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #455
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post

When parents allow their kids to "get away with something wrong", do we call it "lawlessness"...or do we say that the parents have given their kids "too much freedom"?
I call that permissiveness. That's not the meaning of the word I was using, or that I thought that you or others here were using.

The discussion was about free speech, not parenting. And many today do argue that we have too much freedom, like the freedom to legally use "hate" speech or to own guns that some think are evil. And in many instances today, people are arguing that there is too much free speech.

At the risk of repeating myself, in the land of the free, there is no such thing as too much freedom.

Quote:
'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.' -- Lewis Carroll
Old 10-16-2017, 05:43 PM   #456
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
And I consider them to be the sort of cowardly scum that Colin Kaepernick could NEVER be.
So he gets a pass?
When I see trash like taking a knew, I wonder how many liquor stores these scumbags have looted.

Did yo thing those cops in Vegas who ran into the line of fire to save people to be pigs like CK's socks portray them to be?

CK is a freaking coward. A POS coward.

How about we stop playing the anthem at all football games. There is nothing remotely amercian about the NFL. Or its players.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:48 PM   #457
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
So he gets a pass?
When I see trash like taking a knew, I wonder how many liquor stores these scumbags have looted.

Did yo thing those cops in Vegas who ran into the line of fire to save people to be pigs like CK's socks portray them to be?

How about we stop playing the anthem at all football games. There is nothing remotely amercian about the NFL. Or its players.
Tom,

I think I understand your point but disagree with not playing the anthem before the games. We must stand up to the continued nonsense of those that strive to divide this country.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:19 PM   #458
jms62
Veteran

Quote:
So he gets a pass?

So taking a knee means they loot liquor stores?

You obviously feel someone is free to say this

Quote:
The cure for scumbags like Obama is Seal Team 6.
The optics here aren’t very good Tom sure seems your position on freedom of speech is only speech you agree with. Although your comment is reprehensible and quite frankly would get you executed if made about a former president in a country not having our freedoms. You are free to say it and I would die fighting for your right to say it.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:21 AM   #459
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
You are free to say it and I would die fighting for your right to say it.
I seriously doubt you would die for Tom's beliefs. Nothing you have written on this forum suggests otherwise.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:48 AM   #460
jms62
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
I seriously doubt you would die for Tom's beliefs. Nothing you have written on this forum suggests otherwise.
Yeah because you know me. Thats the difference between us. I believe Freedoms exist for people that think polar opposite of what I think. By your post to me you obviously do not. And it is people like that who are destroying America (On both sides). So go wrap yourself in a symbol thinking you are the Patriot . You talk the talk but do not walk the walk. Oh and just so there is no confusion, I think Kaprenick is a douche but he has a right to be one.

PS. Not Tom’s beliefs but Toms RIGHT to have and state them. See you miss that little Nuance there.

Next

Last edited by jms62; 10-17-2017 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:10 AM   #461
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Yeah because you know me. Thats the difference between us. I believe Freedoms exist for people that think polar opposite of what I think. By your post to me you obviously do not. And it is people like that who are destroying America (On both sides). So go wrap yourself in a symbol thinking you are the Patriot . You talk the talk but do not walk the walk. Oh and just so there is no confusion, I think Kaprenick is a douche but he has a right to be one.

PS. Not Tom’s beliefs but Toms RIGHT to have and state them. See you miss that little Nuance there.

Next
Lol. I'll leave you to your delusions. You have shone enough close-mindedness in your written words to belie your last post. Have a nice day.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:13 AM   #462
jms62
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Lol. I'll leave you to your delusions. You have shone enough close-mindedness in your written words to belie your last post. Have a nice day.
And another Alt-Righter who can’t answer the bell.

Buh-Bye
Old 10-17-2017, 09:49 AM   #463
BaffertsWig

Quote:

Did yo thing those cops in Vegas who ran into the line of fire to save people
They must have run a long distance or are slow runners. 72 minutes...
Old 10-17-2017, 10:14 AM   #464
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaffertsWig View Post
They must have run a long distance or are slow runners. 72 minutes...
What are you talking about? Cops were already on the scene providing security and should be commended for their reaction.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #465
Inner Dirt

The left wing media now is resorting to out right lying to rip into people against Kaepernick's stunts.

An excerpt from an article posted on MSN Sports: Boomer Esiason's words the one being ripped on are in bold, what follows is the response posted in the article.
"Oh, Jesus. This guy's like a tooth ache that just won't go away … He's not going to play for me and my West Coast Offense, which is what they run up there [in Green Bay]."
He's implying that Kaepernick is not capable of picking up the West Coast Offense, which is odd considering he spent the most successful years of his NFL career playing for Jim Harbaugh, who runs a … wait for it … West Coast Offense.

The response is a bold faced lie, Harbaugh did not run a West Coast offense at San Francisco. He ran a run first offense emphasizing a power running game between the tackles. Pro Bowl running back Frank Gore's yearly receiving yards dropped from 450 to 150 when Harbaugh took over, while he averaged 1150 rushing during Harbaugh's 4 years. During Harbaugh's tenure the 49ers ranked 29th,23rd,30th,& 30th in passing yards. That is about as far from a West Coast offense as you can get.
Closed Thread