Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-31-2016, 12:54 AM   #16
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandstander21
I do. It was one of the best tracks in California. Ever since it's closure, racing just hasn't been the same in the Golden State. Don't get me wrong, it's still good. We have Santa Anita and Del Mar but it's just not enough. Los Alamitos is all right but they need some improvements. Hollywood Park is what gave the spring/summer racing season its charm.
Just in case you missed a previous thread about Hollywood Park closure. See the link in post # 35.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ight=narration

The other posts in the thread were also pretty good.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2016, 10:38 PM   #17
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Never made it Hollywood when it was open, but have some memories:

Loved the 9 furlong track - better trips.

Hit a simulcast super there once for over $7K while at Charles Town. Maiden Claimer.

Early 90s - used to drive down to Birmingham Friday after work, play the Friday night cards at Hollywood and handicap the next day's races too. Would not make the Friday trip for SA or Dmr, since most of their cards were done by the time I got there.....

Worst racing accident I've ever seen in the '92 Tsunami Slew Handicap when Interwit crashed into the inner rail, and Buchanon Hollow fell over him. Just awful.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:05 PM   #18
FrankieFigs
The 19th Hole

I loved playing Friday nights there. Had a couple of friends come over to my house and we would have a blast.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:43 PM   #19
HPFridays

Hard to believe but it was 5 years ago today that Hollywood Park closed.

HPFridays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2018, 06:00 PM   #20
Someday Silent

I've always lived on the East Coast so I never got to visit Hollywood, but I enjoyed watching the live feed. I made sure to watch the last day of racing there. California Chrome won the King Glorious Stakes and went on to greatness... it was fitting. Then Woodman's Luck won the very last race... anyone know what happened to him? I was getting Equibase notifications for him up until this year.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2018, 07:18 PM   #21
dilanesp

My home track. No better way to spend a Friday night. And I very much miss hearing Vic Stauffer's voice- it was somehow soothing.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2018, 07:20 PM   #22
Vinnie

LOVED Hollywood Park. Honestly, had several of my best scores ever playing the Simulcast for that track. Never visited the track and I regret not doing so. Thanks for making me Pine for those days, I appreciate it...

Merry Christmas!!!

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka

Last edited by Vinnie; 12-22-2018 at 07:21 PM. Reason: misspelling
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2018, 07:21 PM   #23
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
I developed a good feel for Hollywood the last few years they ran. I was sorry to see it go from a bettor's standpoint.

I'm satisfied with Los Al and believe, if they really commit, they will be putting together good meets ultimately. The big barns are using the meets for preps and the smaller barns to pay bills at the moment. Hollywood was definitely taken more serious by the horsemen, but if Los Al really commits to being the 3rd track, it will just keep getting better. The purses have been outstanding for what they're doing, but the quality of the fields hasn't come close to what Hollywood was doing. The lack of a turf course is a glaring omission.
Los Al is not economically viable. And neither, really, is Santa Anita in the long term (and SA's closure would kill Los Al).
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2018, 07:35 PM   #24
thaskalos

Only when someone mentions it here do I ever think of Hollywood Park. Sentimentality isn't a worthwhile attribute for the horseplayer...in my opinion. NEXT RACE...I say.

Last edited by thaskalos; 12-22-2018 at 07:37 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2018, 08:20 PM   #25
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I miss it. The wife loved sitting in the turf club eating dinner (was it called the turf club?) on the second floor. Out front right on the wire. Celebrities sitting around us etc. she thought it was cool.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:37 PM   #26
ronsmac

I loved watching and sometimes betting Hollywood on friday nights.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #27
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME View Post
I'm so sorry. I must admit when I would tap out back in the day, I would send my wife and 2 kids down to the play area to use that schtick to drum up some cash flow from an unsuspecting patron. If it makes you feel better, I turned the $10 into $1000

JUST KIDDING....I've never been to Hollywood but I could see someone doing that to peddle some money from people.
almost three years since this post but since sharkie said it was a "fat lady" we all knew you were just kidding!
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2018, 09:03 PM   #28
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday Silent View Post
I've always lived on the East Coast so I never got to visit Hollywood, but I enjoyed watching the live feed. I made sure to watch the last day of racing there. California Chrome won the King Glorious Stakes and went on to greatness... it was fitting. Then Woodman's Luck won the very last race... anyone know what happened to him? I was getting Equibase notifications for him up until this year.
I think Woodman's Luck recently retired. However just a few weeks ago another horse that was in the final race, ANYTHINGSCOOKIN, raced at GGF. He's a 9 year old now.

They say time heals all wounds. I'm still waiting to not feel so horrible about Hollywood Park closing. It was my dream job. I would have been thrilled to complete my career there. Always thought I would.

California racing will NEVER be the same with the void left by losing Hollywood Park. When I fly over I don't even look.

The TRACK of the Lakes, Flowers, Harry Henson and ZENYATTA!
Old 12-22-2018, 09:15 PM   #29
GMB@BP

Definitely had one of my best memories there...a group of us had seats about the 1/16th pole for the 97' Breeders Cup, when Skip Away opened up there was serious screaming going on.

It was also the first place I went to see a major race at, the Hollywood Gold Cup with Best Pal against Bertrando. Trevor's call in that race is still one of my favs.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2018, 11:01 PM   #30
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

I don’t . First and last visit was about 7 years ago. Two major disappointments, Beverly Hills and Hollywood Park. Beverly Hills is super overrated and the glitzy ness and mansion life is a tiny part of that area. Hollywood Park ( at the time ) could not touch a candle to Santa Anita and Del Mar. Hollywood Park was dirty and needed some serious updates. The area the track was located in was pretty seedy and the customers even seedier. Dirty unkept bathrooms etc etc. They just let the place go knowing it was closing. I know there was a time where Hollywood Park was “ thee “ place to be but not 7 years ago.
ZippyChippy423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply