Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 06-07-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

Stamina on sale in Belmont

The longest shots in the Belmont Stakes have the best stamina metrics.

Restoring Hope has 1.72 Dosage Index and 318 Tomlinson figure—the best blend of these metrics in the field, according to the TCI Belmont Stakes preview video on DRF TV. Rounding out the top five are Free Drop Billy, Bravazo, Hofburg, and Justify.

The top two by those stamina indicators are 30/1 on the morning line. They both threw among the weakest TFUS speed figures last out, but were in the mix with all the rest two back—except Justify, whose every fig tops the field. I can see them improving on their best to contend here.

TCI made a case against Curlin progeny in the Belmont and Vino Rosso here, who seems the next wise guy horse now that everyone's on Hofburg, who otherwise deserves the attention.

Bravazo and Tenfold have the best figs other than Justify, earned last out chasing that one in the Preakness. I agree with the DRF Race of the Day video; that was the day to have them. Others are fresher and seem more likely to improve on their top figs. They'll take money here nevertheless.

Noble Indy is worth a look at 30/1 with Pletcher at sixth by these stamina metrics.

Matching Bravazo with most starts, Blended Citizen eventually earned the third best fig not logged by the favorite last time, on this very track winning the Peter Pan. Hot timing between races for O'Neill. I'd put him on deeper tickets but he lacks a distance story and I see more upside in others.

Anything can happen, but Gronkowski can beat me with anything lower than 50/1.

I'm under no illusions they'll be sparkling overlays, but I could get interested in keying and with the favorites, kind of a long/short play.

Win: ,
Exacta: / , & / ,
Trifecta: , / , / ,

Or

++ x 1
++ x 2
++ x 3
++ x 4

Or box them in the superfecta, adding and at the bottom end.
Aerocraft67 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft67 View Post
The top two by those stamina indicators are 30/1 on the morning line. They both threw among the weakest TFUS speed figures last out
I don't understand why that surprises anyone. True stamina horses aren't good at Preakness distances, nor even the KY Derby most times (although this year it was such a slop fest it was hard to take anything away from the race.)

Handicapping horses for 12F is also just not the same as 9F prep races.

For me, it depends if it rains and how much. It's counter-intuitive, but the stamina guys in a 12F race actually have the edge when it rains a lot.

Last edited by clicknow; 06-07-2018 at 04:32 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2018, 08:29 PM   #3
Ribot Roboto
Domo Arigato

More pedigree stuff—here’s the entrants with their nicks and how many times each of those nicks have won the Belmont in the last 25 years:

Justify...ND-ND...0
Free Drop Billy...ND-ND...0
Bravazo...ND-Int...0
Hofburg...BR-ND...1
Restoring Hope...ND-BR...0
Gronkowski...T2-RAN...0
Tenfold...RAN-BR...2
Vino Rosso...RAN-RAN...2
Noble Indy...BR-ND...1
Blended Citizen...RAN-ND...9
Ribot Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2018, 10:07 AM   #4
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribot Roboto View Post
More pedigree stuff—here’s the entrants with their nicks and how many times each of those nicks have won the Belmont in the last 25 years:

Justify...ND-ND...0
Free Drop Billy...ND-ND...0
Bravazo...ND-Int...0
Hofburg...BR-ND...1
Restoring Hope...ND-BR...0
Gronkowski...T2-RAN...0
Tenfold...RAN-BR...2
Vino Rosso...RAN-RAN...2
Noble Indy...BR-ND...1
Blended Citizen...RAN-ND...9
Who was the lone BR-ND? Thanks.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
Ribot Roboto
Domo Arigato

Rags to Riches.
Ribot Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribot Roboto View Post
Rags to Riches.
Does she count? I mean, she was as big as Curlin, no?
Old 06-08-2018, 10:08 PM   #7
clicknow

without fully exploring the mare's side of things, the dosage profile only gives you the sire side. Several of them have split profiles, which means you have to try to figure out if they are going to use their sire's stamina / speed or if they need to get some from the mare's numbers...and if they do need it, WILL they use it and at what distance might that kick in? LOL Since we've never seen them run 12F, there is really no telling. FDB was one of my early picks (before the talking heads started using him in their "products" yesterday (this always makes me die laughing)) because at 50-1 he was worth a wager. His classic points in sire's dosage is more than adequate, and higher than many other in the race, but he can be slow. Then you look at his mare's side and the speed is there...he's just not used it at end of a race except ONCE. So, which "side" of a horse is going to show up......that is always the question, or will one side cancel out the other side (see this happen all the time).

Then you have horses like Gronkowski, whose stamina is just almost ridiculous....but other horses would have to be pretty slow for him to show it to you.

Last edited by clicknow; 06-08-2018 at 10:11 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply