Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:38 AM   #31
ryesteve

I don't have access to world-wide betting pool totals the way Kelso apparently does, but in terms of the horse's credentials, it was the lone, dominant speed on the outside, 2nd back off a layoff... hardly shocking to see a horse win under that scenario. In terms of the way the race was run, they went the half in 44 3/5.... so it's not as if they were all sitting back, allowing the "ordained one" to loaf on up ahead. In terms of visible betting action on the race, this horse was the 7/2 2nd choice in the morning line. It'd be a pretty lame coup that lets a 7/2 horse go off at 6-1! If anything, the strange money in this race was coming from all the geniuses who thought the entry was worth 1-5. If that was all part of the huge plot, and those two horses were stiffed, I wonder why there was no mention of heavy exacta play on this race. Kelso mentions "thousands of across the board wagers", along with the show price, implying that this all part of the plan. Again, this would have to be a coup pulled off by the biggest bunch of morons ever if they stiff a 1-5 entry and try to capitalize on it by betting TO SHOW rather than exactas.
ryesteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2005, 04:26 PM   #32
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art P
sick player...I cash more tickets in a week than you do all year.
I was going to apologize for mis-reading your post, PA pointed out. But then seeing how you are obviously a physic by knowing how many more tickets you cash than I do, I don't have to bother.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:51 PM   #33
NoDayJob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I was going to apologize for mis-reading your post, PA pointed out. But then seeing how you are obviously a physic by knowing how many more tickets you cash than I do, I don't have to bother.
Physic hotline, mebee?

NDJ
NoDayJob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2005, 10:17 PM   #34
midnight

Cashing more bets doesn't mean making money. In fact, bettors who cash a lot of bets in a week are probably losing a lot of money. So I believe Art P's claim of cashing a lot of bets in a week.
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2005, 12:00 AM   #35
Macdiarmadillo
"I seek the Grail!" M.P.

Maybe he's a parimutuel clerk?
Macdiarmadillo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2005, 03:02 PM   #36
Valuist

Mac-

I regards to your earlier question, I wasn't referring to a Del Mar race. It was his column on Saratoga and how its gone downhill. Small fields and an endless parade of maiden races. The link I posted must've shown a different column.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2005, 11:44 PM   #37
Macdiarmadillo
"I seek the Grail!" M.P.

Quote:
Valuist wrote:
It was his column on Saratoga and how its gone downhill. Small fields and an endless parade of maiden races.
That I can agree with, though I will take the maiden races with large fields. The bad thing is that California racing is already worse than NY in that regard IMO. Nowadays, you really have to pick and choose your spots, Saratoga included.
Macdiarmadillo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2005, 07:51 AM   #38
Geekyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherdave
I picked up a second hand copy of "The Complete Guide to Horse Betting" (1993) by Kelso Sturgeon a few days ago. It surpisingly to me has no past performances, but a lot of talk about trainers, looking for trouble, claimed horses (chapter co-written by Steve Collison), jockeys. A lot of things that are not talked about in other books in this way. Although I'm not in complete agreement with him on everything, I am finding it a surprisingly good read.

I know he has a website (www.kelsosturgeon.com) where he sells mostly sports picks, but also some horse racing stuff. He has some racing systems and books (e.g. "They fix races don't they") for sale there too. Has anybody read anything else by him. The site is a too "buy my book and make it all back in a race" for me, but I am getting something out of this book. Does anybody have any experience with his other books or products?

AD
The guy takes a beating on the fora, but he's actually the real deal as a handicapper. He used to write a lot for Sports Eye and spends as much time handicapping sports as horses. A few years back, in an IM, he told me that at the upcoming Saratoga meet he was waiting for "Vincent Blengs at a price on the grass," and even named a jock. Sure enough, three weeks later, Blengs pops a 12-1 shot that didn't stand out.

His site is designed for his market, the one that can't see past today. Whatever he picks, they are actually his picks, and he does in fact spend most of his time handicapping. Don't know if he's any better than the guys here, but I've seen worse touts. Not that I'd buy his picks myself or anything.
Geekyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2005, 11:51 AM   #39
midnight

Sturgeon does do a lot of work. Doesn't excuse the man from false-advertising get-rich-quick or easy-money things.
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #40
CappinForGold

Mike Warren's System of the Century

Dear Art,

Hello. You don't know me. But I read with interest your mention in a "Kelso Ugh Sturgeon ugh hits rock bottom" forum discussion. You stated, "Believe it or not, I made a lot of money with Mike Warrens System Of The Century. Speed wins is the key. Ive modified it a bit and am still winning with it today."

This was one of the first systems I ever tested, and I bought a month's worth of Hawthorne past performances (DRF) to do so. I did not make any money in the test. I was wondering if you tweeked it a bit or something. I remember it had 6 different styles of runners, and the computer printout charts to give points to each of these runners. I would not mind revisiting this old system if I could get some insight into just how you are/were able to make money with it.

Can we work something out?

I appreciate ANY reply.
CappinForGold is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #41
CheckMark

I enjoyed Kelso sturgeons book “today’s correct number” it has done me good with betting at Gulfstream, Monmouth, Golden Gate and Belmont. The system can work anywhere.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:39 PM   #42
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

How to Win at the Races: Education of a Horseplayer
Paperback – June 1, 1940
by Sam "The Genius" Lewin.

Come on people, even if he was a Genius.

Interviewed by Larry King at Caesars Atlantic City circa 1980.

I was there and didn't write a book about it.

Two words, Handicapping Magic.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: