Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 03-14-2024, 12:26 PM   #1
SunnyG

EquiSim Formula View Issue

After re-installing Equisim, everything worked except Formula View.

I receive an error message "Attempted unsupported operation".
Anyone know how to resolve this?
Thank you.
SunnyG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2024, 02:01 PM   #2
headhawg
crusty old guy

I am just guessing but it's possible that you have a bad formula template. You could try clearing the FrmTempls folder and start adding the formulas (the .efr files) back one at a time. After each one is added, start up ES to see if you get the error. If you get the error after the first efr file, try another in case by coincidence the first one added is the bad formula file.

Out of curiosity, did you uninstall Equisim properly? It's also possible the reinstall didn't work properly as there was some leftover issues from the previous install/uninstall. Also, what version of Windows? ES works fine on Win10, but if you're using Win11 someone else will have to comment about any issues with that OS.
Old 03-14-2024, 03:39 PM   #3
SunnyG

Thx. Installed on 2 laptops, one with win 8 and win 10. Both have the same issue. Like i said, everything else in the program works fine, just the FV.
I will try your suggestion later .
Old 03-14-2024, 10:59 PM   #4
SunnyG

HH, I tried that method and still no luck.
I'm assuming that its missing a file that FV needs to access from the main app.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:29 AM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Is this an error message from windows or Equisim?
Old 03-15-2024, 09:54 AM   #6
SunnyG

I'm not sure but I believe it is ES since the error box has ESROI as a heading.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240315_094647_617.jpg (469.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 03-15-2024, 12:18 PM   #7
Stevecsd2

Sunny G, I never used that Formula View when I used Equisim. I got the same error message. But after I hit OK it looks like it went to the Formula View screen. (However, that doesn't mean it is working correctly.)
Stevecsd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2024, 01:03 PM   #8
SunnyG

Yes, that is exactly what happens. Just the FV screen but non-functional.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:38 AM   #9
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyG View Post
I'm not sure but I believe it is ES since the error box has ESROI as a heading.
Your version is 6.0.0.200. I thought that 6.0.0.19 was the latest. When Nathan was still partially active I asked him to send me the latest updated version which at the time was x.19. Strange. Can any other ES user confirm the x.200 version or even something later? @Stevecsd2 -- what version are you using? If it's x.200 then maybe that version has an FV bug.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:17 PM   #10
SunnyG

Actually, the latest version is 6.0.0.19, but Nathan made a customized version for me, hence the .20. Both versions have the same issue.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:23 PM   #11
SunnyG

Both these versions worked well until I backed up the program and re-installed it on new computers. The old computer conked out but I was fortunate to be able to extract the ES programs. I suspect a file related to FV got left behind.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:37 PM   #12
headhawg
crusty old guy

I'm a bit confused. Did you try to reinstall (restore) ES from the backup and not from the setup file? If yes then your suspicion about a missing file or files is probably correct. I am fairly confident that ES puts files in multiple locations not just the main install folder. If the main folder is all you backed up then it's very possible that some critical files did NOT get restored, maybe from a location like C:\Windows or the System32 subfolder.

It's interesting to me that Stevecsd2 gets the same error. Hmmm...
Old 03-17-2024, 02:23 PM   #13
SunnyG

Yup, its been a long time since I restored it and I'm pretty sure I did not use the setup file. I actually don't see a setup file amongst the files. Not sure where I would find that.
Old 03-17-2024, 03:22 PM   #14
headhawg
crusty old guy

Nathan would have sent a link to download the setup file in an email. Even if you still had the email I doubt that the link is still valid now. However, you would have needed to download the file to your computer to install it originally. You can use Windows Explorer to do a search of your drives. Search for ESROI_6. Hopefully the search will find the .exe file.

Assuming you find the setup file, it would be best if you uninstalled ES before you used the setup file again. However, my concern is that by restoring from backup you don't have a proper install so Windows will struggle with trying to uninstall it. You could use a program called Revo Uninstaller if ES doesn't show up as a program in Windows to uninstall.

If you do a proper reinstall all the core files will be in the needed location(s). At this juncture you could then restore the ES folder from backup. I would only recommend that you do this is if you have files in the backup that you need, e.g. an already updated profiler database or settings.sdb. Otherwise, just start from scratch with the new install.

Last edited by headhawg; 03-17-2024 at 03:24 PM.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2024, 03:38 PM   #15
MJC922

I would strongly recommend that folks do themselves a favor and convert (to a VM) any physical windows PC if it's running an old EOL version of Windows and old software. When you buy a new PC be sure to buy something that can run the virtual machine side by side with your host operating system as needed. Otherwise you're going to find it increasingly challenging to get old software to run on newer versions of Windows. It may be possible to get it running properly but there are no guarantees and you might have one hell of a time trying. My own stuff would probably cease to exist right now if it wasn't all running in a VM. Tying anything with legacy code to physical hardware anymore is just russian roulette, it's only a matter of time before the hardware fails.