Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 307 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:29 PM   #23116
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
I suppose that would leave out chapter 20 of Deuteronomy as well, heh?
Chapter 20?

Is that where it is commanded that the attacking army kill all the men of the opposing side...while leaving the fruit trees unharmed?
Old 02-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #23117
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Chapter 20?

Is that where it is commanded that the attacking army kill all the men of the opposing side...while leaving the fruit trees unharmed?
Sounds like sound advice? Why kill a perfectly good food resource? Where's the wisdom in cutting off your nose to spite your face?
Old 02-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #23118
thaskalos

Quote:
You mean sanctioning capital punishment in the Law of Moses? For your info, he sanctioned capital punishment long before the Law was given to the Jews.
A God who hands down an order to stone a man to death for a minor infraction is not someone that I could pray to. But I wouldn't presume to tell YOU what to do.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:57 PM   #23119
Greyfox

Yes. There are parts of the Old Testament that are hard to believe that Moses and God were truly talking to one another, especially with respect to the man gathering sticks on the Sabbath.
Julian Jaynes postulated that Moses had to be suffering hallucinations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Jaynes

35 Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man must surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” 36 So, as the Lord commanded Moses, all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, and he died.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...6&version=NKJV
Old 02-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #23120
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Yes. There are parts of the Old Testament that are hard to believe that Moses and God were truly talking to one another, especially with respect to the man gathering sticks on the Sabbath.

35 Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man must surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” 36 So, as the Lord commanded Moses, all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, and he died.

There was no Moses, no exodus.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #23121
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox

I guess the moral to that story is that we should truly take to heart that "the wages of [any, all] sin is death".
Old 02-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #23122
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
So no stoning? Just an ancient ancestor of Hans Christian Andersen penning history??
I think that there has to be some truths in the Old Testament with respect to Jewish history.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #23123
boxcar

Quote:
A God who hands down an order to stone a man to death for a minor infraction is not someone that I could pray to. But I wouldn't presume to tell YOU what to do.
Minor to whom? You? Of course, it would be. After all, you're not a holy man let alone the infinitely holy God, are you?

As it is written:

James 2:10
10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.
NASB

I wonder how folks get the idea that all they have to be in this life is be "good enough" and they'll get to pass through the pearly gates?
Old 02-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #23124
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
You forgot one: No Moses, no Exodus, no Law!
Old 02-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #23125
thaskalos

Quote:
Minor to whom? You? Of course, it would be. After all, you're not a holy man let alone the infinitely holy God, are you?

As it is written:

James 2:10
10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.
NASB

I wonder how folks get the idea that all they have to be in this life is be "good enough" and they'll get to pass through the pearly gates?
They also accused Jesus of breaking the Sabbath Law. Do you recall what Jesus's reply was? How come they didn't stone JESUS to death? Or, do you suppose that the Sabbath Law applied only to gathering wood.

Last edited by thaskalos; 02-07-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #23126
boxcar

Quote:
They also accused Jesus of breaking the Sabbath Law. Do you recall what Jesus's reply was? How come they didn't stone JESUS to death? Or, do you suppose that the Sabbath Law applied only to gathering wood.
They accused Him of that often, so what reply of his do you have in mind?
Old 02-07-2016, 04:33 PM   #23127
thaskalos

Quote:
They accused Him of that often, so what reply of his do you have in mind?
Why wasn't JESUS stoned to death, Boxcar?

The "Sabbath Law" applied only when the guilty party lacked the right "connections"?
Old 02-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #23128
boxcar

Quote:
Why wasn't JESUS stoned to death, Boxcar?

The "Sabbath Law" applied only when the guilty party lacked the right "connections"?
What reply of Jesus do you have in mind? He replied various ways to his accusers? Am I supposed to read your mind?
Old 02-07-2016, 05:08 PM   #23129
thaskalos

Quote:
What reply of Jesus do you have in mind? He replied various ways to his accusers? Am I supposed to read your mind?
Go read Mark 2:25-27...and you'll see how much respect Jesus had for those laws that you think warranted a "death sentence", from God himself.

Jesus broke those "laws" with impunity...which contradicts your assertion that God is against ALL forms of transgression. Why would God hand down a death sentence for a transgression that Jesus himself indulged in?
Old 02-07-2016, 05:29 PM   #23130
boxcar

Quote:
Go read Mark 2:25-27...and you'll see how much respect Jesus had for those laws that you think warranted a "death sentence", from God himself.

Jesus broke those "laws" with impunity...which contradicts your assertion that God is against ALL forms of transgression. Why would God hand down a death sentence for a transgression that Jesus himself indulged in?
Jesus broke no laws. I will address the above passage when I return from church or tomorrow.