Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #4426
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Life may indeed HAVE a "purpose", but...how is man ever to agree on what that purpose is? We are all different, and so are our opinions. Correspondingly...won't our "life-purposes" be different as WELL?
Are we all really different if we share one nature, human nature?
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Old 11-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #4427
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
First, atheism is not based on life having no purpose but on the fact that there is no evidence for the existence of a deity.
There is no evidence for many things science cannot explain, yet they exist. Just because you can't see or know something at this point in time, does not mean it does not exist.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:52 PM   #4428
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
There is no evidence for many things science cannot explain, yet they exist. Just because you can't see or know something at this point in time, does not mean it does not exist.
Well said.
The Universe is far more of a mystery than Actor would have us believe.
We know virtually nothing about it in comparison of what remains to be known.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:07 PM   #4429
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
There is no evidence for many things science cannot explain, yet they exist.
How about a few examples, at least one, of "things science cannot explain, yet they exist".
Old 11-10-2017, 10:39 PM   #4430
Light
Veteran

Quote:
How about a few examples, at least one, of "things science cannot explain, yet they exist".
Is this a real question? Your question presumes we know everything about all we see. But I'll amuse you with a few examples.

1) In the 1990's scientists discovered that 95% of the universe is invisible and cannot explain it. Most scientists now agree that dark matter and dark energy make up about 95% of our universe. Dark matter and dark energy are called dark because we cannot see or detect it right now with the technology that we have. We only know that it’s there because of its affect on other things in our universe that we can detect. Other than that, it is a complete mystery.

2) The link between man and ape is absent. Science cannot find our lost common ancestor.

3) How the brain creates consciousness or the mechanism that does that has yet to be found.

I could go on but here is one that even surprised me on 60 minutes this last Sunday. The first words from the narrator were:

"We cannot explain what you are about to hear. Science doesn't know enough about the brain to make sense of Alma" Enjoy:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-12-...age-is-mozart/
Old 11-10-2017, 11:22 PM   #4431
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Is this a real question? Your question presumes we know everything about all we see.
That is the presumption that your statement in #4427 seems to make.
Quote:
There is no evidence for many things science cannot explain, yet they exist.
This statement seems to declare that a proper test of the validity of science is that it be able to explain everything known to exist. Maybe that is not the intent of your statement. In any case it is poorly worded. There are two clauses, the first being "There is no evidence for many things science cannot explain." The conclusion I would draw from that alone is that you think if there is no evidence for something then it does not exist. But this is contradicted by the second clause "yet they exist." I asked for at least one example in hopes of a bit of clarity.

For the record, science does not claim to be able to explain anything without knowing it exists. Further, science does not claim to be able to explain everything known to exist. You seem to have advanced the "god of the gaps" argument.

Last edited by Actor; 11-10-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:29 PM   #4432
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
1) In the 1990's scientists discovered that 95% of the universe is invisible and cannot explain it. Most scientists now agree that dark matter and dark energy make up about 95% of our universe. Dark matter and dark energy are called dark because we cannot see or detect it right now with the technology that we have. We only know that it’s there because of its affect on other things in our universe that we can detect. Other than that, it is a complete mystery.
That is true of everything, not just dark matter. Sight detects light, nothing else. Hearing detects sound waves, nothing else. Smell detects gaseous molecules, nothing else. Taste detects chemicals, nothing else. Touch detects pressure, nothing else. These are brought together by our brains. Dark matter was ultimately detected by our brains. That's it.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:34 PM   #4433
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
2) The link between man and ape is absent. Science cannot find our lost common ancestor.
Wrong. They have found it. Try to keep up.
Quote:
3) How the brain creates consciousness or the mechanism that does that has yet to be found.
The words "yet to be" are key.
Quote:
I could go on but here is one that even surprised me on 60 minutes this last Sunday. The first words from the narrator were:

"We cannot explain what you are about to hear. Science doesn't know enough about the brain to make sense of Alma"
Nothing new here. The program could have been about Mozart but I guess CBS thought Alma would draw a bigger audience. Again "yet to be" is key.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:04 AM   #4434
Light
Veteran

What is your point? To be argumentative? Are you so naive to not realize your own life is a total miracle and not random. That science cannot explain that. That in an average ejaculation there are 250 million sperm and only 1 will fertilize the egg that became you. Do you think you are a total accident? A freak winner of a sperm race for the egg. Is that what you reduce life to? Mere biology and chemistry? And what created that biology and chemistry? Something science also cannot explain.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:33 AM   #4435
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
What is your point?
What is yours?
Quote:
To be argumentative?
Do you expect to participate in a thread titled Religion not get some arguments?
Quote:
Are you so naive to not realize our own life is a total miracle and not random.
Are you so gullible as to believe that a bunch of primitive, desert dwelling sheepherders had all the answers?
Quote:
That science cannot explain that.
Yes, it can.
Quote:
That in an average ejaculation there are 250 million sperm and only 1 will fertilize the egg that became you. Do you think you are a total accident? A freak winner of a sperm race for the egg.
Yes. That sums it up.
Quote:
And what created that and chemistry? Something science also cannot explain.
Yes, it can.

Are you going to answer my question?
Old 11-11-2017, 12:44 AM   #4436
thaskalos

Quote:

The words "yet to be" are key.
Nothing new here. The program could have been about Mozart but I guess CBS thought Alma would draw a bigger audience. Again "yet to be" is key.
But when Boxcar uses "yet to be" to explain the unfulfilled promises of the bible...you consider that an unsatisfactory response.

By the way...how long will it take for "science" to tell us if coffee is good or bad for us? Is the jury still out on whether or not a high-protein diet is really beneficial for us...or are these matters too "mundane" for science to bother with? I was watching a program the other day, where two Ivy League-educated doctors were discussing "health and wellness". One doctor recommended that we chew each bite of our food at least 20 times, in order to properly liquify it before swallowing. But the other doctor quickly disagreed...by saying that such a practice would deprive the stomach of the necessary work that it must do during the digestion stage.

At least religion is confused about matters of the "spirit"...

Last edited by thaskalos; 11-11-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:49 AM   #4437
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
Are we all really different if we share one nature, human nature?
Of course we are all different. If this thread has proven anything...it's the fact that there is great difference even among CHRISTIANS.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:13 AM   #4438
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
Actor constantly takes inconsistent positions , which allows him to continually mock Christianity via mocking boxcar.

Has Actor ever given you an answer with substance to your queries?
When asked if the view that science offers the only avenue for knowledge about the real world (scientism), could itself be established by the scientific method, Actor retreated to the theory of solipsism, with the implication that Boxcar exists only in Actor's mind.

On the heels of that, however, we are treated to the steadfast pursuit of the theory that the historical Christ wasn't real.

Add a dash of the mistaken impression that in "mocking" Boxcar, Actor mocks the representative Christian of two millennia, rather than like Boxcar, actually managing to ignore the first 1600 years of Chrisitianity, and you have to enter the discussion with entertainment as a significant motivation, rather than edification.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:18 AM   #4439
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Larry King: "What still mystifies you about the universe?"

Stephen Hawking: "Why do the universe and all the laws of nature exist? Are they necessary?"
Old 11-11-2017, 01:23 AM   #4440
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
Larry King: "What still mystifies you about the universe?"

Stephen Hawking: "Why do the universe and all the laws of nature exist? Are they necessary?"
"Something unknown is doing we don't know what." -- Arthur Eddington...when asked to explain the "mysteries of the universe".

Last edited by thaskalos; 11-11-2017 at 01:25 AM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: