Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-19-2017, 12:10 AM   #256
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

What Del Mar (or an other track, anytime) should do is reward a customer a spot in a tournament just for the price of admission, Maybe more people would show up to the track and then play in one, and spend more money...
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #257
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Boo hoo...
Now look who is doing the mocking, Mike. Really..?
Old 11-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #258
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Best format for a tournament by far. And Jim Goodman, who runs the tournament, is the best organizer out there.

When Jim relaxed the rules and made it so that you could bet 5 races plus the half bankroll (you used to have to bet 8 of 9 races) he made it so that you were DQ'd if you failed to make the minimum bets. That is the system that every event needs to adopt. It is the only way to ensure people keep betting and the contests are, after all, about betting.
Totally agree with all positive comments about Jim Goodman. Such a well-rounded gentleman that knows the game and its players. He not only is Director of Mutuels at Keeneland, but runs great Handicap Tourneys, as well as playing some (not Keeneland of course). He also makes daily Picks for Keeneland Select along with Mike B., Katie G. and a few other Cappers that is passed out freely each day of the live meets.

On a personal note, Jim went out of his way to reimburse me for a voucher I left in a self-betting machine a few years ago while at a Tournament there in July. I think I left it in after hitting the only ticket I cashed in 2 days there. It could have been a terrible time in Lexington if not for Jim!

RR
Old 11-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #259
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
That's what I am saying...why isn't Twinspires involved in the daily tournament action? Should a Twinspires customer have to open a Horsetourneys account if he also wants to play the daily tournaments? And if he opens a Horsetourneys account so he could play tournaments...is he supposed to keep switching back-and-forth between the two sites if he also wants to bet on the live action? How does this make any business sense?
You can play tournaments and have an ADW account at DRF. The tournament business is growing and being upgraded regularly.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:25 PM   #260
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
You can play tournaments and have an ADW account at DRF. The tournament business is growing and being upgraded regularly.
As far as I can tell you can't play daily cash games at DRF. They're all feeders or qualifiers. Or you can play for account "credits" that you can use to buy in to the qualifiers.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #261
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
As far as I can tell you can't play daily cash games at DRF. They're all feeders or qualifiers. Or you can play for account "credits" that you can use to buy in to the qualifiers.
That is true and that is BS. I have a decent amount of credits due to pushes and can't take the money out. They have hardly any tourneys now, mainly their own WCH.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #262
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Back on the day, I remember going to Santa Anita. The large area beneath the main grandstand and adjacent to the walking ring was a very popular place in the winter meetings. The seats were free, with long, large free tables, warm, with bathrooms, ticket windows and food bars all nearby. That area would be a great place to hold tournaments that anyone could join on any given day...maybe different levels for different budgets ....but at least so it would be fun for Average Joe...say $20 entry fee and $100 bankroll card...get creative...the point is to involve the so- called hoi-polloi and make it fun and not so monetarily aggressive and that you don't have to be pre- qualified to play in....

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 11-20-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #263
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
That is true and that is BS. I have a decent amount of credits due to pushes and can't take the money out. They have hardly any tourneys now, mainly their own WCH.
But classhandicapper said that DRF's tournament business is growing, and is updated regularly. How can a tournament business grow...if no money could be taken out by the players?
Old 11-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #264
GMB@BP

Quote:
But classhandicapper said that DRF's tournament business is growing, and is updated regularly. How can a tournament business grow...if no money could be taken out by the players?
Given how DRF revamped their webpage to prominently display tournaments I would suspect that its a section of the business they want to promote and expand.

Honestly, and I think we all know this, long term the pari-mutual model will become less and less attractive to newer, more cost efficient and educated gamblers.

Racing will embrace Betfair style fixed odds, only when they have to of course.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #265
RunForTheRoses

Quote:

It seems to me their business is contracting. They did have a tournament to last weekends Aqueduct(DRF buy in was $60, HT $58), but currently only to WCH. HT meanwhile has a slew of money tourneys, not credit builders, plus feeders to Hawthorne, 2 GP tourneys, Seaside, and NHC through horseplayers which they run.

Last edited by RunForTheRoses; 11-20-2017 at 02:11 PM.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2017, 08:24 PM   #266
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by zawaaa View Post
why do i feel that nobody ITT has the slightest idea what the word collusion means?

or game theory, for that matter
I kmow what game theory means. Did a long post on it.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #267
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

So exactly how might a cullusion go down in this case...?

a+b have done what? ...or what might be some senarios (not saying they happened at this point) but what MIGHT have happened, specifically, given these circumstances...It wouldn't surprise me to find out that all sorts of collusive strategies could have been in play among a variety of parties, that's why I think nothing will come of it...the framework of the tournament has too many holes in it to warrant singling anybody out...still the longer this goes on, the more speculations go on....why is it taking so long...?
Old 11-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #268
Mulerider

...still the longer this goes on, the more speculations go on....why is it taking so long...?

My guess, and it's purely speculation, is that the decision to let the results stand was made pretty quickly, but in order to prevent such a controversy from happening again BCBC officials are working on rule changes, especially regarding the mandatory bets, which will be announced simultaneously with the final decision of the investigation.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2017, 12:04 AM   #269
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

This is still not decided? How is that possible?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2017, 01:02 AM   #270
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
This is still not decided? How is that possible?
The same three guys who judged that photo at Del Mar are judging this..........

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: