Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-05-2017, 10:09 AM   #16
upthecreek

This annoyed me as well

upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #17
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek View Post
I thought the NBC video work was even more atrocious than usual. Or I am just not as good as I once was at imagining what 85% of the field is doing while watching a close up of two leaders. I'm generally not the type to get all upset at the more creative angles but race after race yesterday the races themselves looked to be produced by the guy that did What's The Frequency Kenneth for R.E.M.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 10:34 AM   #18
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I liked the cut aways to the overhead shots, but most of the other camera work was amature at best, by someone who probably never bet on a horse race in his life.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #19
Fager Fan
Veteran

The BC should be embarrassed by the lack of network TV coverage. Years ago, they took the better financial deal to go with cable. Brilliant move there, BC.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #20
JohnGalt1

Since my clothing selection leaves something to be desired, I miss the fashion segments by the two skaters.

Not really.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #21
JimG

I cannot count the number of times a national network covering a horse race will spend 80% of the broadcast talking about a horse that does not win or run well. Yesterday, it was Arrogate. There were other horses in the race and they deserved some coverage. The winner was a co-favorite and barely mentioned during the NBC hour, until after the race. Piss poor, lazy reporting, imo.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 04:21 PM   #22
Rackon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
I cannot count the number of times a national network covering a horse race will spend 80% of the broadcast talking about a horse that does not win or run well. Yesterday, it was Arrogate. There were other horses in the race and they deserved some coverage. The winner was a co-favorite and barely mentioned during the NBC hour, until after the race. Piss poor, lazy reporting, imo.
This makes me crazy - what were the producers thinking? Lots of interesting horses and stories in this year's Classic - even Gun Runner and Collected, who were obviously the main threats, got little coverage. Arrogate vs Gun Runner should've been a slam dunk, a perfect X shaped story structure. It was barely touched on.

It also seemed to me that there were more commercials than ever, which made the editorial content even more awkward. What was the point of Baily, Baffert and Smith riding on the beach??? Pretty photography? They just repeated what had been said earlier.

The camera direction during the race was awkward - the overheads can be interesting in a replay but I find it distracting during the race.

Didn't see the NBCSN coverage but I give the BC site/app an A and NBC a D, and that's being generous.
Rackon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 04:57 PM   #23
PointGiven

Tv coverage to me seemed ho hum and like very little effort was put into it. Smart move adding Britney to big day coverage. Poor decision not having on main NBC channel. They could have re arranged Notre Dame. Wake is the smallest school in division 1 and put 38 on them. So compelling.
PointGiven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #24
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The kept saying that you could get all of Britney and Matt's picks at Breederscup.com......who would want them? Those two couldn't pick their noses.