Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-30-2017, 01:58 PM   #31
Greyfox

The series exposes that the Government continually lied to the American public.
It's no wonder so many people don't trust whoever is in power in Washington today. The seeds of distrust were sewn deep in those Vietnam years.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #32
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
The series exposes that the Government continually lied to the American public.
One reason for that exposure at the time was that the media in Vietnam were virtually unrestrained. They went wherever they wanted, and they saw and reported a lot of things that contradicted The Narrative. The government, and especially the military, learned their lesson and didn't let that happen again.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:32 PM   #33
ElKabong

Episode one reruns tonight

I watched the final episode this weekend, completed the entire documentary. One of the best pieces of work I've seen. Fair and balanced.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #34
kingfin66
Bombardier

It is interesting how much people are divided in their opinions about this documentary series. I am yet to watch so I do not yet have an opinion. My father really enjoyed it, but I know other people that were less than impressed. I am looking forward to checking it out.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:34 PM   #35
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
It is interesting how much people are divided in their opinions about this documentary series. I am yet to watch so I do not yet have an opinion. My father really enjoyed it, but I know other people that were less than impressed. I am looking forward to checking it out.
So much to like and learn from the documentary. JFK, LBJ, Nixon, Jane Fonda, John Kerry weren't slanted one way or another by the production. People interviewed that had unique opinions (and facts) were allowed to contribute and provide their perspective.

It was well done. I think you'll enjoy it. People that didnt hold your particular view on any one segment of the war or period, you come to respect their views a bit more. The documentary did a great job of letting raw honesty and emotion meet without becoming a slanted piece. That's very hard to do
Old 10-04-2017, 12:20 AM   #36
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Episode one reruns tonight

Damn, I missed this until now - naturally I think that's the only one that I missed the first time through with the DVR.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #37
Clocker

Quote:

The documentary did a great job of letting raw honesty and emotion meet without becoming a slanted piece. That's very hard to do
I have only seen a couple of episodes, but based on what I saw, I have to question the statement that it was not slanted. All of those who served in the military in Nam that I saw interviewed were totally opposed to the war and highly critical of our government. While that is largely justified in retrospect, many who served were, at the time, proud of their service and of doing what they saw as their patriotic duty.

Also, the portrayal of Ho Chi Minh as a kindly old grandfather figure was far from accurate. "Uncle Ho" led the Viet Minh in the war against the French during which thousands of civilians were murdered. Burns portrays him as a revolutionary nationalist, but ignores the fact that he was an avowed communist with little respect for liberty or human rights.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #38
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
I have only seen a couple of episodes, but based on what I saw, I have to question the statement that it was not slanted. All of those who served in the military in Nam that I saw interviewed were totally opposed to the war and highly critical of our government. While that is largely justified in retrospect, many who served were, at the time, proud of their service and of doing what they saw as their patriotic duty.

Also, the portrayal of Ho Chi Minh as a kindly old grandfather figure was far from accurate. "Uncle Ho" led the Viet Minh in the war against the French during which thousands of civilians were murdered. Burns portrays him as a revolutionary nationalist, but ignores the fact that he was an avowed communist with little respect for liberty or human rights.
Duly noted, but please see the entire series. Things begin to shift and change, more hawk types appear and their views and angles are heard more. Like any eighteen hour or so documentary, it has to flow. Both sides get their views across.

Remember my first post in the thread, I was reserving judgement. Mainly because it seemed to have a liberal slant early on. As time went by Ho Chi Minh was properly exposed for the person he really was, as was Jane Fonda and others I'd mentioned above. And, as a good documentary does, you hear from some people that were Pro Jane, Pro Ho Chi Minh, Pro Kerry, Pro Jfk, LBJ, Nixon. The facts were laid out, it was for the viewer to decide. You also hear from people with opposing views...And I really appreciated that.

Others may have a different take, but I thought the facts, presidential tapes, and first hand accounts were well laid out.

Last edited by ElKabong; 10-08-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #39
ElKabong

Clocker,

Didn't want to type a mostpost length book in the post above, but I wanted to address your comment about 'all those interviewed who served in Vietnam were anti govt'.

In the next to last episode, or Maybe it was the last episode, you'll hear Nixon in a taped conversation with Kissinger basically saying 'we are handing this over to the south Vietnamese, I'm washing my hands of this mess. I have no faith in them holding off the viet cong, but that's their problem '

The next day he addresses the nation saying all is well, our initiatives in Vietnam will be successfully accomplished. The republic of the south was going to continue, no problems

Two things...
One, he knew Vietnam was a lost cause, said so himself on tape. He lied to the American people, no way to sugar coat it

Two, his tone in the tape would forever be taken as 'ah screw the fifty eight thousand plus that died in this war. They mean nothing, I'm handing it to the communists in the north

I served shortly after Vietnam, the above sentiment was universal among the still active personnel that fought in that war. What you saw in the first two episodes were real emotions from vets. Most were proud to serve, proud of their country, but knew they were betrayed and lied to every step of the way dating back to the early sixties

Enjoy the documentary, if your take on it is different from mine it's natural. Different people will have different takes.

Last edited by ElKabong; 10-08-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #40
Clocker

Quote:
Duly noted, but please see the entire series. Things begin to shift and change, more hawk types appear and their views and angles are heard more. Like any eighteen hour or so documentary, it has to flow. Both sides get their views across.
Perhaps I will give it another shot some time. But I did watch the first three episodes, and I found it to be slanted and lost interest. If it is indeed more balanced later, that is a big film-making flaw on Burns' part to have some people lose interest early.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #41
ElKabong

I know what you mean. There was a former reporter named Galloway that was one of the interviewed guys that was overly negative in his opinions concerning the war. I'd seen him on another documentary, I thought 'oh shit, not him again. He's already been on other documentaries on Vietnam, his delivery is emotional and soap opera,style. Screw this, couldn't Burns find new Vets to interview?

Galloway thankfully fades away after episode five or so. Other views are exposed and offered.

Jane Fonda was not handled with care thankfully, other documentaries I've seen pass over her calling for our POWs to be tried as war criminals. This documentary highlights that fact. She doesn't come across well, neither does John Kerry for his look at me speeches while we had POWs held captive and were being tortured daily.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #42
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I just heard Jane is still alive.

Too bad.