Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 05-19-2016, 06:03 PM   #61
rosenowsr

Auto upgrade

Win 10 automatically upgraded my machine this morning also. I just turned on machine and bang, it started installing.

I don't know if people realize that when you bought win XP or win 7 or win whatever, you didn't by the software- you only bought the right to use it.

No problems so far, fingers crossed.
rosenowsr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #62
Grits

Today, my laptop updated to W10, without my choice. I had company, and before I knew it, all was done 90 minutes later! When I turned things back on, it took a few minutes. I turned off all the "microsoft will send info", app crap junk. All bookmarks are in place, all photos are in place, all documents are in place.

But, gentlemen, tell me something if either of you can.

My question. .... Is this just my laptop or is it W10? HOW IN THE HELL do I get rid of this horrible black background with the blue, purple, white print, etc. It is totally awful!!! And unseeable!

I just know one of you tech gurus have a simple answer for this.

Too, I no longer see my Microsoft Essentials protection for scanning viruses, etc. Anything I should know, as to what replaced it? It worked perfectly.

HELP! PLEASE! This screen deal is tough on the eyes.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 08:16 PM   #63
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
HOW IN THE HELL do I get rid of this horrible black background with the blue, purple, white print, etc. It is totally awful!!! And unseeable!
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/windows-10-...t-menu-1513135
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 08:25 PM   #64
Sinner369

I being ..................???

I being using Windows 10 since last year when I updated last fall. So far, I have not encountered any problems using all of my old programs under W8.1.

The only change I made under W10 was updating "Windows Updates" automatically......otherwise no problems.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #65
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot6977
Thank you. I was hoping for PA to appear in its usual colors, though, with the change everything appears all white. Oh well.... better than black with purple and blue print, maybe at some point I'll figure it all out.

Thank you.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:16 AM   #66
Clocker

Quote:
Thank you. I was hoping for PA to appear in its usual colors, though, with the change everything appears all white. Oh well.... better than black with purple and blue print, maybe at some point I'll figure it all out.

Thank you.
Also, at the very bottom left corner of the screen is the Windows 10 icon. If you left click on that, you will get the Windows 10 basic menu. If you right click on that, you will get a Windows 7 style start menu.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:35 AM   #67
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I would not use any MS protections programs.
They are woefully lax in updating and you could get into trouble while they dawdle.

Professional protection software is updated much more frequently.
Of course, once my Chrome Book arrives, I will not have to worry about that crap.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:31 PM   #68
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysofree
That's good to know in case I decide to do the free upgrade on this computer before July 31st.
Beside having "drivers up to date", what else can one do to feel the chance of failure is low? I've read everything from people loosing speaker sound to loosing one's router connection for a 2nd computer. It's scary.
Five minutes before the Preakness went off, my connection was lost on my laptop. "Server Not Found". I rebooted. Its not my router as both my desktop and my IPad are working fine.

Windows 10 is already getting on my nerves.

EDIT: Rebooted once more. Now, fine. Thank goodness.

Last edited by Grits; 05-21-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #69
senortout

Grits, seems they made some changes with Windows 10. You mentioned Microsoft Essentials, the virus-checking software used in Windows 7. That, basically is still here in Windows 10, under the (older) name Windows Defender. I assure you, this is a change in name alone, and will continue to perform as before! all the best......

Quote:

Thank you.
senortout is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2016, 02:37 PM   #70
senortout

Grits, that (server not found) has happened to me several times lately, on busy days. As I am using mostly Linux now, it is not to be blamed on your new Windows 10 installation. Incidentally, next time it happens, just 'refesh' the web page...if you have not tried that, please do so before going through all the hassles of rebooting. You may find it unnecessary. It may well be a hiccup on an overloaded server at THEIR END, not your own.

Quote:
Five minutes before the Preakness went off, my connection was lost on my laptop. "Server Not Found". I rebooted. Its not my router as both my desktop and my IPad are working fine.

Windows 10 is already getting on my nerves.

EDIT: Rebooted once more. Now, fine. Thank goodness.
senortout is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #71
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by senortout
Grits, seems they made some changes with Windows 10. You mentioned Microsoft Essentials, the virus-checking software used in Windows 7. That, basically is still here in Windows 10, under the (older) name Windows Defender. I assure you, this is a change in name alone, and will continue to perform as before! all the best......
Not exactly. Whereas before I could turn off real time monitoring, under Windows 10 and Defender, I can only turn it off for a brief spell. It will automatically turn real-time monitoring back on after a while.

I'm sure there is a way to defeat this, perhaps a registry edit (or just kill Defender altogether).

This is not your father's MSE. And in fact, Defender gets higher marks in virus detection than MSE did, even though on the surface, they appear to be very similar or almost identical.

I think it does a better job because it seems to update its virus definitions every 5 seconds...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2016, 05:06 PM   #72
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by senortout
Thanks Senor, after typing these posts I noted the Windows Defender.... Glad it's there.

Take good care.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:36 PM   #73
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Senor, after typing these posts I noted the Windows Defender.... Glad it's there.

Take good care.
Don't become frustrated by the unplanned upgrade rather explore the new features esp. Cortana etc. I really like it and read that MS has some plans for improving it starting this summer.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2016, 08:39 PM   #74
Longshot

The really bad part of Miscrosoft upgrading my system to Windows 10 without me asking for it is that it took up between 6 and 7G's of my monthly 15G
I have on my Wild Blue plan and I still have 20 days before it rolls over. I'll
have to spend $50 or more to purchase more G's before it rolls over.

Do you think if I ask real nice Microsoft will reimburse me.
I won't hold my breath while I wait.
Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2016, 10:14 PM   #75
forced89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot
The really bad part of Miscrosoft upgrading my system to Windows 10 without me asking for it is that it took up between 6 and 7G's of my monthly 15G.......I have on my Wild Blue plan and I still have 20 days before it rolls over. I'll
have to spend $50 or more to purchase more G's before it rolls over.
Microsoft is so damn arrogant. They just do whatever they want.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply