Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-06-2021, 05:59 AM   #1
porchy44

DRF price has ran the pikers out of the game.

At the Racebook I go to occasionally, they use to get printed track programs delivered daily. The cost of them were usually 2-3 dollars depending on the number of tracks included.

Since they stopped that. The printed Daily Racing Form is the only option.The cost now, is 9-11 dollars. Instantly I noticed a very steep decline in attendance at this Racebook. I do see some printing their own books now. But for most, old-timers using technology appear to be the exception, not the rule.
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2021, 12:26 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Even if you use technology, DRF charges the same for the internet version as they do for the printed one, even though there are no printing or shipping costs.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:34 PM   #3
delfman

the DRF is most certainly a badly run business. But then so are most businesses, I assume. You only have to read a famous quote by frank zappa to know the reason for this.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Frank Zappa
delfman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2021, 08:03 PM   #4
Robert Fischer
clean money

grew up on the Daily Racing Form.

now I do monthly TimeformUS, but I still occasionally purchase the DRF on-track, as a conspicuous Veblen good
Old 12-06-2021, 08:24 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfman View Post
the DRF is most certainly a badly run business. But then so are most businesses, I assume. You only have to read a famous quote by frank zappa to know the reason for this.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Frank Zappa
I thought you meant please don't eat the yellow snow!

Old 12-07-2021, 07:29 AM   #6
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchy44 View Post

Since they stopped that. The printed Daily Racing Form is the only option.The cost now, is 9-11 dollars. Instantly I noticed a very steep decline in attendance at this Racebook. I do see some printing their own books now. But for most, old-timers using technology appear to be the exception, not the rule.
The steep decline at the brick and mortar race-books has been going on for 20 years. As these older fans die off there is nobody to replace them. I’ve not once had a conversation with a race book bettor who said they would never come back because the cost of DRF. The state of Connecticut has an operation called “ Winners” run by Sportstech gaming that has several racebooks/OTB’s. The horse players left are mostly betting off the board or using free entry and tip sheets. I will say there has been some new dead money coming in because they have legalized sports betting and these OTB locations now have sports betting machines.

One final thought about cost of DRF etc. My opinion is that if someone is willing to blow a few hundred betting on horses they should have no problem spending 9.00-11.00 buying a racing form. It’s comical that these types of degens exist. I use to have a friend who wouldn’t spend 3.00 on a cup of coffee at the OTB but would blow 50.00 on one race.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2021, 09:31 AM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I agree 100%.

It's kinda funny the lengths people will go to bitch about the price of PPs (either DRF or online or whatever).

If you're that financially strapped that paying for PPs causes you grief, maybe you shouldn't be gambling with such a tight budget.
Old 12-07-2021, 02:54 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Yeah, and look at all those fat people out there whining about the high cost of food.
Old 12-07-2021, 03:16 PM   #9
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfman View Post

Frank Zappa
I thought you were talking about dental floss salesman from Montana. Cause that’s what DRF is selling pretty much.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2021, 06:47 PM   #10
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
The steep decline at the brick and mortar race-books has been going on for 20 years. As these older fans die off there is nobody to replace them. I’ve not once had a conversation with a race book bettor who said they would never come back because the cost of DRF. The state of Connecticut has an operation called “ Winners” run by Sportstech gaming that has several racebooks/OTB’s. The horse players left are mostly betting off the board or using free entry and tip sheets. I will say there has been some new dead money coming in because they have legalized sports betting and these OTB locations now have sports betting machines.

One final thought about cost of DRF etc. My opinion is that if someone is willing to blow a few hundred betting on horses they should have no problem spending 9.00-11.00 buying a racing form. It’s comical that these types of degens exist. I use to have a friend who wouldn’t spend 3.00 on a cup of coffee at the OTB but would blow 50.00 on one race.
It would be fine if the DRF was $10 and you got all the tracks. However, when you need to buy two different ones to get the tracks you want to bet now you are looking at $20, times that by four and that is $80 a week just for forms which is $320 a month. That starts to add up.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:31 PM   #11
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
It would be fine if the DRF was $10 and you got all the tracks. However, when you need to buy two different ones to get the tracks you want to bet now you are looking at $20, times that by four and that is $80 a week just for forms which is $320 a month. That starts to add up.
I have no idea about this (since I am Canadian) but do you guys in the US get multiple editions of the DRF?

I have seen Am/Pm editions or Premium Players Editions (10 or so tracks) and also the Daily Racing Program (which more than 5+ tracks)

Up here in the great white north we only have 2 editons 1 is the DRF which usually has between 5-7 tracks depending on the weekday/weekend/event and the other is called Players Edition which I think you can only get at Woodbine and not 100% sure if it is still around since COVID
Old 12-07-2021, 08:29 PM   #12
westernmassbob

[QUOTE=CheckMark;2771640]I have no idea about this (since I am Canadian) but do you guys in the US get multiple editions of the DRF?

At the Connecticut OTB I have only ever seen two editions. I guess the expense would take its toll if you are a small time gambler with a limited bank roll. Without the DRF though that is like building a house without a toolbox. Unless of course you rely on the track toutsters picks. As far as betting multiple tracks 4 times a week ? ( another poster eluded to this ) Wow that seems like a fast way to have to file bankruptcy. Of course maybe you are a two dollar better then the losses would not be so bad.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2021, 08:31 PM   #13
The_Turf_Monster

Now just imagine for that $11 if DRF could get its own stats correct like trainer performance on distance, surface, and class changes
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2021, 10:11 PM   #14
thaskalos

Given the current competition for the gambling dollar, an industry has to be brain-dead to charge $11 for a pamphlet containing some basic handicapping information. Especially since the "Big Gorilla" of legalized betting has all its handicapping information available online for free.

Charging $11 for a DRF is akin to a restaurant charging $11 for a look at its menu...IMO.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:14 PM   #15
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Given the current competition for the gambling dollar, an industry has to be brain-dead to charge $11 for a pamphlet containing some basic handicapping information. Especially since the "Big Gorilla" of legalized betting has all its handicapping information available online for free.

Charging $11 for a DRF is akin to a restaurant charging $11 for a look at its menu...IMO.
DRF is an independent newspaper. Their price is not set by the Industry.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: