Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 07-22-2018, 10:56 PM   #16
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
Where I watched it (on a backside), EVERYBODY that walked by asked, "How's Tiger doing?" Grooms, trainers, stewards....NOBODY asked "Is Spieth still up?" "Where's Rory?" "Who's Xander?" "Where's Phil?" They just wanted to know about Tiger. The only thing mildly surprising was the absolute unanimity in the interest in Woods. I almost wished for their sake, as not-totally-dedicated golf observers, that he had won.

And while I appreciate the way Molinari moved around the course, I wish he had, too.

Tiger carries an unimaginable banner. The hopes, dreams, and expectations are off the charts.

I think that is what is most amazing about him. Other players that play with him get engulfed and can't handle it. And that is a single round. Tiger has dealt with it since he ripped the Masters in 1997.

He plays in a fishbowl every round he plays. He is critiqued on how he tees his ball, and whether he hits a Driver or an iron off the tee.

The guy can't even take a piss without a camera hovering over him.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2018, 11:03 PM   #17
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

What's it been, 10 years since he last won a major?

Did Tiger get his "soul" back yet?.....Think not.

Until he does, not much to talk about IMO.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2018, 11:19 PM   #18
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
Where I watched it (on a backside), EVERYBODY that walked by asked, "How's Tiger doing?" Grooms, trainers, stewards....NOBODY asked "Is Spieth still up?" "Where's Rory?" "Who's Xander?" "Where's Phil?" They just wanted to know about Tiger. The only thing mildly surprising was the absolute unanimity in the interest in Woods. I almost wished for their sake, as not-totally-dedicated golf observers, that he had won.

And while I appreciate the way Molinari moved around the course, I wish he had, too.
I'm not on the Tiger train. In fact, as soon as he teed off today I knew NBC was going to get lost in the Woods.

Maybe this is apples and oranges but just because people may of heard of Justify doesn't mean I hope Justify wins every race. In fact, I much prefer to see a field full of colts compete and contend with Justify every time out.

An Italian won a major for the first time ever today. That is a great outcome for professional golf IMO.

Last edited by NJ Stinks; 07-22-2018 at 11:24 PM.
NJ Stinks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2018, 07:22 AM   #19
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I can't disagree, Stinks. Plus he'll be a powerful addition to the Ryder Cup team.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #20
incoming

Mr Woods was the best golfer ever by a very wide margin......back in the day.

All of today's elite golfers advantages evaporate at courses less than 7500 yards, then the target golfers usually take control, improvement in today's equipment being the main cause.
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2018, 12:48 PM   #21
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
Mr Woods was the best golfer ever by a very wide margin......back in the day.

All of today's elite golfers advantages evaporate at courses less than 7500 yards, then the target golfers usually take control, improvement in today's equipment being the main cause.
Who would you call a target golfer? Dustin Johnson? Justin Thomas? Jason Day? Bubba Watson? Patrick Reed? Rory McIlroy? Jon Rahm? Brooks Koepka? Jordan Spieth? Rickie Fowler?

Are you suggesting that Molinari is a target golfer? If so, wouldn't you have expected that he be near the top in hitting fairways? He was only able to hit 26 of 60 fairways good for 127th in the field.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2018, 02:18 PM   #22
incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Who would you call a target golfer? Dustin Johnson? Justin Thomas? Jason Day? Bubba Watson? Patrick Reed? Rory McIlroy? Jon Rahm? Brooks Koepka? Jordan Spieth? Rickie Fowler?

Are you suggesting that Molinari is a target golfer? If so, wouldn't you have expected that he be near the top in hitting fairways? He was only able to hit 26 of 60 fairways good for 127th in the field.
I would put both Spieth and Fowler in the 'target' group and give them the advantage on shorter courses.

Yes, Molinari is certainly a target golfer. I think at Carnoustie just off of the fairway the rough was not that bad and in most cases you would have a short club in your hands. Being on the proper side of the fairway was more important than being in the fairway.

My definition of a target golfer...... Tee2green and approach stats would be a little sharper.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:16 AM   #23
highnote

That was the first golf match I've watched in years and it was because of Woods. It was interesting learning about and watching the other big name golfers, but if not for Woods, I would have been watching more of the NASCAR broadcast.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2018, 07:16 AM   #24
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
That was the first golf match I've watched in years and it was because of Woods. It was interesting learning about and watching the other big name golfers, but if not for Woods, I would have been watching more of the NASCAR broadcast.
I have to admit to doing the same as above. Never considered myself a fan of Woods, but my Dad was a huge fan of Tiger and Sam Snead. Talk about different generations. I have probably rooted against him prior to his "accident" and physical problems. Now I find myself rooting for him to win again as a comeback story. I went into Sunday hoping Molinari would win(new guy to a major) and was glad it turned out that way.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:31 AM   #25
incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
Mr Woods, personally, picked golf up and easily quadrupled the interest in golf in his hay days. At the golf club that I frequently played at back in the day golf lessons attendance exploded, especially kids. Golf owes Mr Woods tons.

Just look at all of the young talent that now occupies the PGA, these are all Tiger Woods prodigies.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #26
TJDave

Grazing in the grass

Quote:
Mr Woods, personally, picked golf up and easily quadrupled the interest in golf in his hay days.
Tiger used to be a vegetarian?
Old 08-03-2018, 12:22 AM   #27
letswastemoney

Well, I'll make a bold prediction.

Tiger is at his beloved Firestone without back pain, and the swing is good. This is the week Tiger Woods WINS.

If he doesn't win here at a course he loves, I doubt he will do it in the remaining 2018 events.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2018, 01:50 AM   #28
incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
Tiger used to be a vegetarian?
You mean....you didn't know
Old 08-03-2018, 01:54 AM   #29
incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post
Well, I'll make a bold prediction.

Tiger is at his beloved Firestone without back pain, and the swing is good. This is the week Tiger Woods WINS.

If he doesn't win here at a course he loves, I doubt he will do it in the remaining 2018 events.
already 4 strokes back....and 20 very good player between him and the lead.....I wish him well
Old 08-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #30
AndyC

Quote:
already 4 strokes back....and 20 very good player between him and the lead.....I wish him well
It's hard to have 20 players between him and the lead when he ended the day in 14th place.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: