Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Poll: Meet Sheet Factors
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Meet Sheet Factors

Old 05-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
Foolshope

Question New to the Forum, Meet Index Question

Hey everyone!

This is my first post after sitting on a 2 week waiting list from the moderators.
The Turf really is greener on the other side...

I've been handicapping since 2014, mainly an Exotic better with preference toward Pen & Paper methods - although I use digital data just as much without software (typically Excel until I find an angle I like, then do it by hand)

Here's my question:

I have never really found much consistency for handicapping from Meet related sheets, but I was wondering if you guys are looking at Jockeys/Trainers at a Meet - how do you Priority filter them?
(which factor over another)

ITM%? Win%?
Total Earnings?
EPS? (@ the Meet)

I haven't spent the time to analyze the data over a long time to determine if its even worth it to highlight certain Jockeys or Trainers on my PPs in relation to Meet (separate from - career/90 days/year/all tracks/etc).

It does not have to pertain to a WINNING factor, but more for Exotic betting.

Also, if this data doesn't provide usefulness - you can state just that.
Thanks!
Foolshope is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
Dave Schwartz

You needed another option: "None of the above."

That would be my choice.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
Parkview_Pirate

The factors you have listed are fairly basic, and would be reflected in the morning line(sometimes).

Any time there's a hot jockey/trainer combo, or "jockey on for this trainer really trying" it's well known.

Many handicappers look at jockey strengths and weaknesses, but that's also reflected to a lesser degree in Bris and DRF stats - again, commonly known.

Many handicappers look at trainer patterns, which are usually only presented in high-level numbers, but more advanced tools like Formulator let you drill down deeper, and get specific stats for a particular race/horse/setup. Less commonly known, especially those for rounding out the exotics vs. winning.

Some connections "point" to the boutique meets like Saratoga, Keeneland and Del Mar, while others avoid those or do poorly, saving their ammo for easier pickings.

There is good reason to review meet statistics, mostly on the wagering side, which eliminates many of them for me. But some venues that race year round or for many months would require separating their "meets" up to get any more useful data.

Meanwhile, I'll be bold and say that kind of homework can be more usefully spent taking extensive trip notes and using physical appearance - which are not as commonly used, and vary wildly between 'cappers.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Talking about a specific meet, I choose Win%, as in trainers who do so-so at other times while pointing towards a specific meet to unleash their good stock.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
Foolshope

Thank you for the input guys, I also received some Private Messages with good feedback as well. All of it is much appreciated!
Foolshope is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2018, 11:17 PM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
You needed another option: "None of the above."

That would be my choice.
Nice
Old 07-09-2018, 06:16 PM   #7
v j stauffer

I rarely look at the top of the standings. Over the years the same names seem to make those lists and we've come to rely on those barns running a live horse. Percentages become very important to me if I find a horse that meets all other criteria as a major play but comes from a barn that rarely wins. That will almost always disqualify the play. Why force the issue and kick myself after the fact?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: