Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 11-28-2020, 12:30 PM   #1
Teach

Freehold Raceway: Saturday, November 28

Race One:

5 STAKEOUT. I’ll begin by saying that although I like the horse, I’m a bit troubled by the fact that this 7-year-old has had only two wins in his last 35 starts; yet this Cambest-bred does hold the class-edge on this field. Last Saturday, in the Freehold lid-lifter, Stakeout drew the unenviable outside starting post. When the field reached the top of the stretch, this Cam’s Card Shark-bred had no place to go; he was stuck behind a wall of horses. He ended up finishing 7th. However, it should be noted that he was less than three lengths off the winner. In addition, he may have needed last Saturday’s race as he hadn’t raced in a month. In today’s race, this Go Go Hanover-bred gets a mid-pack starting post. Eric Abbatiello -- “E.A., HE’S IN THE GAME!” -- reprises the drive for owner-trainer, Phil Jasper. Others: 1 Momma’s Artist; 4 Elusive Bubble, 2 Zindelight

Race Two:

7 WESTERN BAYAMA gets my tepid lukewarm nod in the 2nd-half of the early double. In his last, this Lis Mara-bred gelding was parked out for most of the mile at Yonkers; yet, he finished a game 2nd. He was just a neck off the winner. Any repeat of that effort and this Art Major-bred gets his picture taken in Freehold Raceway winner’s circle. Vinny Ginsburg is in the sulky for trainer “Yogi” Sheridan. Others: 1 Ultimate Flyer N; 6 Honor Me; 2 Some Power.

Race Three:

4 IF I MUST is my pick in the A.H.D.C. amateur trot. This Muscles Yankee-bred trotter had little chance in his last from his extreme outside starting post. Prior to that, this 5-year-old “broke” as a 6/5 shot. This Cheyenne Spur-bred now draws mid-pack. The driver -- “The Coach” -- Paul Minore (he once coached the great Carl Lewis), might just take his trotter -- he owns and trains -- right to the top. He could make every pole a winning one. Others: 5 Always a Good Time; 1 Can Do; 2 Splashed.

Race Four:

2 BLACK DAN draws inside. That could make all the difference in the world. This 4-year-old black gelding should be “in the mix” with his quick early turn-of-foot. Eric Abbatiello,” the son of the “Red Man,” the Hall-of-Famer,” Carmine Abbatiello, (his uncle Anthony is also in the “Hall of Fame”) is in the bike. I look for this If I Can Dream-bred to be right there, possibly in the “garden spot,” as the field heads down the backstretch for the quarter-pole. This Astreos-bred should be in a good striking position as the field reaches the top of the stretch. Others: 3 Dragon Said; 5 Andwin Hanover; 7 Let’s Foal Around.

Race Five:

1 KEYSTONE HANOVER returns to the Freehold oval from the “Ol’ Hilltop Course,” Yonkers Raceway. This Richard Johnson-trainee finished 4th and 3rd in two appearances in “The Empire State.” This Bettor’s Delight-bred ridgling now returns to “The Garden State.” He’s both drawn inside and he’s dropping down; that could be a prescription for a trip to the winner’s circle. Austin Siegelman is in the bike. Others: 2 Whatstroublnurocky; 3 Heez Orl Black N; 4 Thereisapaceforus.

Race Six:

5 JIM’S DELIGHT gets my nod. This 4-year-old Bettor’s Delight-bred is a speedy sort. Jim’s Delight is a “closer” who should benefit from what appears to be a race that features early speed. His owner-trainer-driver is the Monticello “fixture’ (along with brother, Mike), Greg Merton (I find it hard to believe that Greg Merton has been driving for over 30 years). As an aside, when I was teaching on Long Island in the mid-to-late 1960s, in addition to Yonkers, Roosevelt and occasionally Freehold, I’d ride up Route #17 to Monticello (those were in the days before Cat Manzi). Others: 4 Ohio Vintage; 2 Captain Mulzac; 3 Artmagic.

Race Seven:

3 MACH IT SO got the “Il Bacio della Morte,” the dreaded 8-hole in his last at Yonkers. He was, indeed, “Lost in Yonkers.” As it turned out, he “got hung out to dry,” i.e., “parked.” “Arrivederci.” Now, this 10-year-old Mach Three-bred draws “inside.” That should make a huge difference in enhancing his chances of gracing the Freehold Raceway winner’s circle. The last time this Beach Towel-bred gelding raced at Freehold, two weeks ago, he stopped the tele-timer in a sizzling 1:54.1 as he went wire-to-wire. Austin Siegelman returns to the bike for trainer-owner Chris Height. Others: 1 Art Scene; 2 The Wall; 5 American Influence.

Race Eight:

1 ANNIHILATION is my pick. This 5-year-old Bettor’s Delight-bred started “outside” in his last; he finished last in a field of eight. But, alack and alas, he now draws “inside.” That will most certainly give this M/L 4-1 shot a good chance of winning. Speaking of “winning,” this Art Major-bred is winless in all fifteen 2020 starts; yet in his favor, he has hit the board in nearly half his tries. I believe today’s race gives this Yankee Celebration-bred a good chance of getting “off the schneid.” Vinny “Horses Don’t Know the Odds” Ginsburg reprises the drive. “The Kiwi,” Kelvin Harrison, trains. Others: 2 Machiatto A; 3 Albert A’ Scootin; 6 Lyons William.

Race Nine:

2 LENWOODS REAL DEAL has drawn two-straight “outside” posts; he now gets post-position relief. That should make a world of difference. This Real Desire-bred has a class advantage over most of these. Ron Coyne Jr owns and trains this Dragon Again-bred 4-year-old. Eric Abbatiello is in the sulky. Others: 1 Jerrytone; 3 Smileandsaycheese; 4 Mister Indiana.

Race Ten:

4 PAPIAMENTO is my selection. This Somebeachsomewhere-bred has faced better. This 6-year-old finished a fast-closing 2nd in his last. “The Mainer,” Steve Smith, reprises the drive for owner-trainer Ken Tisa. Others: 2 Southern Allie; 5 Clint Westwood; 3 Northern Rock.

Race Eleven:

2 SHAVING MUG is my longshot selection in the 1st half of the late double. This Badlands Hanover-bred has drawn an array of “outside” starting posts; he now draws “inside.” There’s also a driver change, Austin Siegelman. Yet, in all candor this 11-year-old is winless for 2020; that is disconcerting. However, today’s race may represent this In The Pocket-bred's best chance of getting into the win column. Ann Depietro trains. Others: 4 Titus Seelster; 1 Wicked Business; 8 Our Art and Heaven

Race Twelve:

4 KENTUCKY PROUD is my choice in the Freehold finale. This Artspeak-bred 3-year-old finished 2nd in his last in this company. Any slight improvement... Austin Siegelman reprises the drive for owner-trainer Kelly Hastings. Others: 1 Elegant Lauxmont; 3 Davids Coming Home; 5 Sir Machalot.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: