Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:57 AM   #76
affirmedny

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike
Affirmedny,

Do you know this horse's name?

This isn't the incident I'm recalling, because the horse attempting to chomp the other was on the rail and was being passed on his right side and he never made contact. I guess this occurs more often than I thought.

SRU,

The one I'm thinking of occurred a long time ago, way before the closure of HP. I even remember Denman commenting on it.
the horse on the left is great prospect, the savagee is golden derby, 1980 Tremont stakes Belmont park
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 05:24 AM   #77
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Affirmedny,

Do you know this horse's name?

This isn't the incident I'm recalling, because the horse attempting to chomp the other was on the rail and was being passed on his right side and he never made contact. I guess this occurs more often than I thought.

SRU,

The one I'm thinking of occurred a long time ago, way before the closure of HP. I even remember Denman commenting on it.
Part of my brain kinda knows the race in question...give me some more info that you know and maybe that will jog my memory...i wonder if this happened at Del Mar, you think it could have been down there?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 08:09 AM   #78
jk3521
Registered Loser

Of course there is the case of Easy Goer vs Sunday Silence in the stretch of the Preakness where it seems that Easy Goer looks to be trying to get to Silence . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c48c26AJAXY

Last edited by jk3521; 03-27-2015 at 08:13 AM.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 09:19 AM   #79
RunDustyRun

I believe the horse in question at Delmar was a horse named Woodman's Luck back in 2012...the incident is on youtube....as noted above, same horse who won the finale at Hollywood
RunDustyRun is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #80
Shemp Howard
Refugee from Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1
I rode Leroy quite a bit in Md. in the 70's.

Leroy always loved the ladies.

Life on the Farm was a 55-1 first-time starter. Daily Racing Form chart caller Lew Zagnit's footnotes neatly summarized the 2-year-filly's race: ''Life on the Farm, racing outside, was trying to advance under stout restraint on the backstretch, continued under stout restraint on the turn then finished well under her own courage in a very useful effort."
Shemp Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #81
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I really respect your opinion, but i'd have to question this, i was reading about dogs recently and how they have a short term memory of about 20 seconds, dogs are far smarter than horses, i can't imagine a horse is in his stall hours after a race and still "brooding" over a loss. It seems far fetched to me.
All I can do is tell you what I saw. The horse in question was named Wicked Man. He ran in the early 70's and saw him do what I spoke about at least twice. He also reached over and savaged the horse next to him as they came to the wire at least once. Can't remember if he won and was dq'ed or got beat. Look him up. He was as blood and guts as a horse could be.
And the 1 or 2% I spoke about I would like to correct. I would say it was more like 1% or even less, that take it real personally.
Wicked Man, a chestnut gelding, was exactly the horse I was referring to.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #82
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemp Howard
Life on the Farm was a 55-1 first-time starter. Daily Racing Form chart caller Lew Zagnit's footnotes neatly summarized the 2-year-filly's race: ''Life on the Farm, racing outside, was trying to advance under stout restraint on the backstretch, continued under stout restraint on the turn then finished well under her own courage in a very useful effort."
Do you know who the trainer was.

And are you indeed a refugee from Bowie?

It was my favorite track when I bet in high school and when I raced there until it closed.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 02:28 PM   #83
Shemp Howard
Refugee from Bowie

Quote:
Do you know who the trainer was.

And are you indeed a refugee from Bowie?

It was my favorite track when I bet in high school and when I raced there until it closed.
Elizabeth "Wiz" Murdoch. She wasn't much of a trainer.

Used to take the train from NYC when the TRrack In the Pines as the only horse action north of Hialeah.
Shemp Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 04:54 PM   #84
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Part of my brain kinda knows the race in question...give me some more info that you know and maybe that will jog my memory...i wonder if this happened at Del Mar, you think it could have been down there?
It could have been Dmr., back then I used to follow a lot of Cali races. I just remember the horse's name included Hollywood (something Hollywood or Hollywood something). It was a bizarre sight very unexpected.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #85
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
It could have been Dmr., back then I used to follow a lot of Cali races. I just remember the horse's name included Hollywood (something Hollywood or Hollywood something). It was a bizarre sight very unexpected.

I may have lost my looks over the years but, at least my memory still works (sort of).

Note Hollywood Reporter's comment line!! He didn't want to lose. I thought he was being passed in the stretch but, I guess he wanted to pass the leader.

Anyone capable of finding a Youtube video of this race? It's memorable at least it was for me.

http://www.equibase.com/premium/char...92&cy=USA&rn=8
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #86
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Is this by any chance the Brenda that was with Butch Lenzini in the 70's?
Ruffian1 ... sorry for the delay; I just saw your post.

I am not sure of that one. Never heard about them being an item but that doesn't mean they weren't. I thought Butchie went straight to Maryland after he had gotten himself in trouble in Rhode Island and I don't recall Brenda racing anywhere else but in the Commonwealth.

I spent some time in Maryland in late 1980s hustling a jock and rode a few for Pop Lenzini, one of the game's great horsemen.

Butchie did have a way with the pretty ladies, for sure. At the time he died he was with the very, very and absolutely beautiful Diane Nelson.

Last edited by reckless; 03-30-2015 at 07:07 PM.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #87
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny
the horse on the left is great prospect, the savagee is golden derby, 1980 Tremont stakes Belmont park
Golden Derby .... sired by Master Derby who won the Preakness.

Great memory that day. I worked for the House and went to the paddock before the race to introduce myself to W.E. (Smiley) Adams, Golden Derby's trainer.

He was an extremely pleasant guy and just before we left the walking ring area he went into his pocket, pulled out two $100 bills, and said to me, 'Were can I go and bet?'

Of course I told him where and then I went in the very opposite direction (into the grandstand area and kept walking; I was afraid people would follow me, which happened lots of times.) and bet all the money I had in my pocket, about $45.

I think Golden Derby paid about $8 and change. Golden Prospect, by Mr. Prospector, might have been odds-on.

Bob Coglianese took the picture and won an Eclipse Award for it.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply