Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-26-2021, 01:17 AM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

NYRA signs 9-year deal with FOX Sports

This was posted in another thread, but probably deserves its own.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...-win-agreement

Quote:
The agreement, which runs through 2030, calls for FOX to air at least 700 hours of NYRA racing from Belmont Park and Saratoga Race Course on FOX Sports 1 and FOX Sports 2, and, with the exception of races covered in existing contracts with other networks such as the Belmont Stakes (G1) on NBC, gives FOX exclusive national broadcast rights at the two New York tracks. While most of the programming will be on FS2, the contract stipulates at least 30 hours a year must be presented on the larger FS1 and FOX broadcast channels.

"If someone had told me 10 years ago that a deal like this would be happening today, I would have told them there's no chance of it happening. It's a landmark deal and that's not overstating it in any way, shape, or form," said Tony Allevato, NYRA's chief revenue officer and president of NYRA Bets. "As someone whose whole career has been in television, I could not have seen this happening."

The deal also includes live coverage of the Travers Stakes (G1) on FOX's flagship broadcast network for the next nine years, continuing what has been the television home for the Midsummer Derby since 2019.
Not too shabby.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:39 AM   #2
Andy Asaro

This is a big deal and congrats to NYRA for pulling it off.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2021, 09:50 AM   #3
BMustang

This totally sucks out loud for those of us hoping that last year's Fox "experiment" was noting more than an attempt by the network to fill some air time during the Covid restricted "sports" year.

To many of us this Fox adventure has been nothing but disruptive to our means of formerly playing New York racing - primarily through TVG - which centralized our racing activity, and was a one-stop shop for many of the tracks we played.

Fox Sports 1 was inconsistent with their scheduling, and many of us do not receive Fox Sports 2 as part of our cable package.

I, for one, am truly unhappy that NYRA has sold out to the commercial network, at the expense of it's grass roots patrons. While I might be the only vote against the extension, I honestly think the "Silent Majority" of we off-track NYRA players agree.
BMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2021, 09:56 AM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

FOX totally inept in scheduling racing. Switching from F1 to F2 is lame. I watch on YouTube or RTN. The FREE PPs are a nice touch. Kind of like a diner offering a menu.....
Old 03-26-2021, 11:03 AM   #5
dilanesp

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMustang View Post
This totally sucks out loud for those of us hoping that last year's Fox "experiment" was noting more than an attempt by the network to fill some air time during the Covid restricted "sports" year.

To many of us this Fox adventure has been nothing but disruptive to our means of formerly playing New York racing - primarily through TVG - which centralized our racing activity, and was a one-stop shop for many of the tracks we played.

Fox Sports 1 was inconsistent with their scheduling, and many of us do not receive Fox Sports 2 as part of our cable package.

I, for one, am truly unhappy that NYRA has sold out to the commercial network, at the expense of it's grass roots patrons. While I might be the only vote against the extension, I honestly think the "Silent Majority" of we off-track NYRA players agree.
Every sport abandons its house network when there's money on the table. The Daytona 500 isn't on the Speed Channel, the NFL Network doesn't carry the conference championships, and the Golf Channel doesn't show the Masters.

NYRA is presumably making money here, and profitable tracks are good for bettors.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2021, 11:35 AM   #6
Dave Schwartz

My take is just way different than some of you.

The way I see it...

This MIGHT really spark a turnaround in racing!

Consider that back in the 1980s how ESPN enabled major league sports to take off, but racing jealously guarded its "signal," to the point of near-extinction.

Covid MIGHT have provided a potential RESET that COULD allow racing a DO-OVER on the horrible decision.

Yes, I am being optimistic.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #7
castaway01

The idea anyone could possibly see this as a negative for NYRA or horse racing is beyond me. Big-time sports are on TV for people to, you know, watch and gain interest in.

And if you don't want to watch them on FOX Sports, there are still numerous other options.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2021, 12:53 PM   #8
classhandicapper

As a horse player, I'm not particularly interested in whether the terms of the deal are good or bad for FOX and/or NYRA. But in general it has to be a plus for the industry to have more racing on a major network.

I typically watch a couple of track feeds on my computer with the volume off until the actual race so I can see the live odds and post parade. I'm not much interested in anyone else's analysis or picks.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-26-2021 at 12:57 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2021, 01:46 PM   #9
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Every sport abandons its house network when there's money on the table. The Daytona 500 isn't on the Speed Channel, the NFL Network doesn't carry the conference championships, and the Golf Channel doesn't show the Masters.

NYRA is presumably making money here, and profitable tracks are good for bettors.
The “speed” channel has been dead for 5 years, but I get your point.

I see this as a huge deal.

Greg and Andy will have a job until 2030
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2021, 01:50 PM   #10
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
As a horse player, I'm not particularly interested in whether the terms of the deal are good or bad for FOX and/or NYRA. But in general it has to be a plus for the industry to have more racing on a major network.
The idea anyone could possibly see this as a negative for NYRA or horse racing is beyond me. Big-time sports are on TV for people to, you know, watch and gain interest in.

EXACTLY!!

Cable TV exposure allowed ALL the other sports to generate other streams of income besides the in-person customer. The end result of this has been (basically) firm financial footing for teams as well as leagues.
Sure, they can still fail if they work at it.
For decades the tracks have had only the revenue generated by the bettors and on-track patrons to keep the ship afloat.

With viable multiple revenue streams they might even realize that with a substantially lower takeout would enhance the players' chance of winning more frequently.
Hoping that success could overcome their greed.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2021, 05:10 PM   #11
NTamm1215

Quote:

This is a terrible take. NYRA didn’t sell out to anyone. They took a great opportunity to deliver their content with a provider that has significantly more exposure than TVG. If it inconveniences you they have put a TON of alternate options in place. The feed of the show is free on YouTube. It is also available on RTN.

NYRA is trying to develop its ADW while showcasing its racing and racetracks. Is that accomplished when a Saratoga race is shown on tape delay in August for Gulfstream? No. Each company is focused on their own self-interests.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2021, 09:58 PM   #12
BarchCapper

Quote:

Any thought that TVG is where you want to be unless you are the SoCal tracks seems odd - given TVG's propensity (likely based on contractual obligations) for prioritizing anything SoCal - post parades, interviews - over races that are actually happening live elsewhere.

I will say the way I have found the greatest pleasure in watching racing over the past few months is having my TVG screen open on my laptop to show me which races are upcoming, and switching between tracks on RTN through my Roku. Only when races go off simultaneously have I missed any races live that I want to see - and then the replay is available on RTN in minutes.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2021, 10:34 PM   #13
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Didnt Allevato used to run TVG?

Hmmmmm.........
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2021, 01:16 AM   #14
The_Turf_Monster

My heart goes out to the ADW’s that have been parasites on purse accounts for over a decade with the race to the bottom for signal fees to get on TVG and formerly HRTV
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2021, 05:52 AM   #15
acorn54

still an elephant in the room not being dealt with-big betting fields. the "authorities", can dazzle with b.s., but can they deliver on large fields for the bettors. promoting small fields for bettors to sink their money into, gets the horsemen of large stables more revenue, that's about it.
it's funny how the talking heads on these race channels promote the small bettor to outlay more than a few dollars on very high speculative gimmick bets, betting into blind pools and such, just hoping against hope you will get a large payoff.
well as the old saying goes," live in hope, die in despair".
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: