Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-05-2021, 09:46 PM   #1
jay68802

C J McMahon, in trouble

Liked this guy, hate it when things like this happens.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/th...-in-louisiana/
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2021, 09:56 PM   #2
Boomer

How can he be listed to ride Friday at Houston while having outstanding warrants for murder? Leave it to a racetrack to not do a background check.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2021, 10:28 PM   #3
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
How can he be listed to ride Friday at Houston while having outstanding warrants for murder? Leave it to a racetrack to not do a background check.
He last rode at Delta Downs on 12/28/2020
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2021, 11:01 PM   #4
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
He is out on 80K bond, that does not make it right.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2021, 11:11 PM   #5
Robert Fischer
clean money

Sad news. Hope there is self defense or misunderstanding somewhere in there.

I don't play Delta etc.. a ton, or have a 'book' On CJ McMahon, but he seemed like a solid rider when he's on his A-game, and should be about the age when he starts to enter his prime...
Old 01-06-2021, 12:49 AM   #6
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdaddy View Post
He is out on 80K bond, that does not make it right.

If you're out on bail & the crime you're charged with has nothing to do with racing, are there any rules on the books that say you can't ride? When you're out on bail if you're allowed to keep doing your job shouldn't you try to do that & not just twiddle your thumbs idling away the days until your court date? If McMahon intends to keep riding I wonder how this will be handled, and if horsemen would feel comfortable giving him a leg up. These first few days of entries were taken well before the arrest, so that explains that situation. Was perusing the Saturday card at Sam Houston and see he's named on several live runners for some big outfits.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2021, 01:13 AM   #7
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
If you're out on bail & the crime you're charged with has nothing to do with racing, are there any rules on the books that say you can't ride? When you're out on bail if you're allowed to keep doing your job shouldn't you try to do that & not just twiddle your thumbs idling away the days until your court date? If McMahon intends to keep riding I wonder how this will be handled, and if horsemen would feel comfortable giving him a leg up. These first few days of entries were taken well before the arrest, so that explains that situation. Was perusing the Saturday card at Sam Houston and see he's named on several live runners for some big outfits.
Was only replying to other poster that he was out on bond. I am unclear if there are any rules in racing that prohibit him from riding, there is certainly no code of conduct.
He is a free man at this point.

Sure there are some who will give him a leg up and others who would not. He has been in decline business wise and had at least one other drug violation recently.

Harming himself is one thing but looks like that was not the case this time.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2021, 06:55 AM   #8
NTamm1215

Quote:
They drew the races before he got arrested. Leave it to an internet message board poster to overreact and get something wrong.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2021, 08:45 AM   #9
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
They drew the races before he got arrested. Leave it to an internet message board poster to overreact and get something wrong.

Please enlighten me, I'm all ears.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:46 AM   #10
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Was perusing the Saturday card at Sam Houston and see he's named on several live runners for some big outfits.

He's named to ride for Broberg in many races and Diodoro in another. Looking for legal advice when getting a leg up?

RR
Old 01-06-2021, 09:57 AM   #11
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Allegedly, he rolled up to someone at a red light and fired at him from his car sometime in December I believe. Had to be a prior dispute or incident.
Had illegal drugs on him that were found during a traffic stop, and the warrant for attempted murder.
Shame...he’s a decent jock who rode first call for Broberg, which is basically money in the bank in these parts.

Last edited by PhantomOnTour; 01-06-2021 at 09:59 AM.
PhantomOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2021, 11:58 AM   #12
NTamm1215

Quote:
Your post made it seem like the racetrack was negligent. They were not, and he met with the stewards yesterday to see about riding.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2021, 12:30 PM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Your post made it seem like the racetrack was negligent. They were not, and he met with the stewards yesterday to see about riding.
Decision given?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2021, 12:48 PM   #14
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Decision given?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2021, 12:49 PM   #15
Boomer

Quote:

I believe the warrant was issued on the 27th of December. If they drew for riders prior than that I could understand. Attempted murder ( drive by shooting) and possession of Class 1 drugs are serious charges.

Employers doing background checks was my point. Something racetracks should to to protect the public. Singled out Sam Houston because this affected them. But all tracks ( i believe) do not do background checks.

And as a bettor or owner or another jockey, would you want a someone on meth on the track. I doubt they drug test jocks unless they have a past history. Even than it is sporadic. Unlike a blow test for alcohol.

The attempted murder charge is of course alleged. If the track believes he was involved in the drive by shooting, possession of illegal Class 1 drugs and firearm they can ask him to clear the charges before allowing him to ride. If they feel he is innocent of all alleged charges because of circumstances we are not privy to, let him ride.

Point being due diligence needs to be done.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: