Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 52 votes, 4.87 average.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:57 AM   #691
letswastemoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
The information is great in Timeform. I like it a lot. But I find I use it mostly as a supplement to the DRF. I like to go thru the DRF first, and then see if the Timeform data alters my opinions.

When the old Racing Times came out in the early 90s, I made the mistake of not using it as a supplement, and while I liked the product, I found I didn't do well when I relied strictly on it. Same with Thorograph and Brisnet. The track simulcast programs are completely useless IMO. Too few races listed and the print is so small, I'm surprised you don't see more John Conte types with the magnifying glass.

Maybe its just a matter of time. Old habits die hard. One's brain and eyes get programmed to looking at certain print and its not easy changing.
It shouldn't be any different except for the speed figures. DRF seems to have a strangehold on the market based simply on the fact people are used to them, and that's strange! Paying for news articles on DRF is strange as well when BloodHorse and other websites offer the same content. If I need handicapping tips, TimeformUS blog seems to offer them daily for free.

But back to the PPs. TimeformUS changes the speed figures the right way, upgrading some horses in the race and downgrading others, while I think DRF will just upgrade everyone on the same scale if the first place horse's figure gets bumped up. So if the number has to be tinkered with, it feels like TimeformUS does it better.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #692
bbopjz

TIMEFORM US

Two things TimeformUS must do:

1-Make it possibe to scroll through all horses pps with just one scroll

2-Make it possible to print all the races of a card with just one click
bbopjz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #693
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbopjz
Two things TimeformUS must do:

1-Make it possibe to scroll through all horses pps with just one scroll

2-Make it possible to print all the races of a card with just one click
I see the need for #2, no doubt. #1 I was originally thinking this too, but I've come around to not having a scroll. It isn't like on a computer screen or tablet you can see more than or two horses in any case. I think it is just a matter of habit and I was able to get used to clicking on each horse pretty quickly.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #694
speed

CJ from you're answer i take that the ability to print the entire card is coming but that a scroll isn't. With a scroll i see a few advantages. Being able to see 2 horses at once and it is obviously quicker than having to always click from horse to horse. Also when at the track my wireless connection is not the best so it takes a moment for each horse to load, really slowing things down.

Last edited by speed; 02-20-2014 at 05:41 PM.
speed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #695
speed

Absolutely agree Grits. For whatever reason TimeformUS is leaving some players
Old 02-20-2014, 06:03 PM   #696
speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed
Absolutely agree Grits. For whatever reason TimeformUS is leaving some players
Leaving some players behind at least for now is what i meant to say.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #697
RXB

Every product has its niche. Can't be all things to all people, especially as a relatively new work-in-progress. TFUS is aiming primarily at the online market. I have a few quibbles, too, but on the whole I'd say they're offering a reasonable product at the current price point.

There's no denying that TFUS has introduced some features that are not available in DRF and many other competitors (highest quality pace figures, easily assimilated bias indicator). At the end of the day it's another PP option and each person can choose the one that suits them best.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #698
letswastemoney

Free for TVG customers! As long as you bet on the card you purchase...
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #699
Bullet Plane

Agree with many points Grits made. I still like to print the pp's out.

One of the features that I like on TimeformUS is the Results Charts. I would like the option to click on charts to print out with the pp's for each race.

For now, I pen the early - late figures in the pp's. and draw with pen the pace projector onto the pp's. For example, I'll write fast pace favors ...then write the saddle cloth numbers down....

I also print out applicable results charts.

None of this is enough inconvenience for me to stop using the product, because the information is very good.

I also agree with some others, that using them in conjunction with other products, such as the DRF, is my preferred method.
Bullet Plane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #700
Delta Cone

I use the Microsoft Snipping Tool and take a "picture" of the pace projector for each race. Copy that and paste it into a word doc or spreadsheet and then print it. No color on my laser, but it still looks good. I then am able to write notes on those printouts (usually 3 pages for 1 track) and have it ready at a glance as I look at DRF.
Delta Cone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 11:08 PM   #701
CincyHorseplayer

I only need printable raw figures(nothing else) and that's not available and importing them into Excel to do your own compound rankings is not available so I fail to see how this is new age.All the other stuff is glitz and glamour and unnecessary to me.I don't want to pay for your opinion.Craig Milkowski is the best figure man in the business.Keep the rest.Give me what I want.New Age?I agree with Grits=BS.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #702
bcgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
I wish I could go back to the days of Cj's pace figures!!!!
Grits...absolutely agree! I had personal handicapping successes using CJ's old format numbers way beyond my expectations. But, I cannot find the groove with the new product and, when I saw the price increase on my cc bill, I cancelled.

It wasn't the price increase that did for me....hell I would pay twice as much for CJ's numbers before the change to the new format. It was the fact that I was paying more for something that literally was driving me crazy from trying to figure out how to get at the info.

CJ...not upset with you, my man. You work very hard to produce the best figs on the planet! Your numbers helped me to achieve more than I ever dreamed possible in this tough game.

Respectfully,
bcgreg
bcgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #703
Hard2Like

Thank yous

Thank you to all involved at TimeformUS for the free races of the day feature at your website. Very helpful to the slow learning like myself.
Free access to the best pace numbers period.Back to TVG I go. As an ex- Kuck ratings user these figures are the breath of fresh air my game needs,thank you,CJ.
And thank you to all here for your input on this new approach to pp's.
Hard2Like is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #704
lsosa54

Can't imagine that making the old condensed form available and printable would be that difficult.
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #705
Pcon04

i agree the way it is its way to slow to handicap

and navigate they need to really condense a lot

imho

Tags
quick, timeform adjustment