Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-29-2023, 08:14 AM   #16
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
Last I heard California was trying to get rid of 'gig' employees, too...who's going to deliver the grub?
Fat chance this will happen....

Delivery makes up lots of the profit....and people are willing pay those ridiculous added fees for Grub,Uber.etc ...so what's the big deal
Saratoga is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2023, 08:26 AM   #17
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
Last I heard California was trying to get rid of 'gig' employees, too...who's going to deliver the grub?
isn't it just the 'independent contractor' classification that bugs them and dumps employee costs on workers?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2023, 02:57 PM   #18
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga View Post
Fat chance this will happen....

Delivery makes up lots of the profit....and people are willing pay those ridiculous added fees for Grub,Uber.etc ...so what's the big deal
I would get rid of Uber eats-DoorDash in a second. But my parent company won’t let me.

They are terrible. The business model just doesn’t work in many areas.

I did about about $360,000 in take-away this year. people come in and make their own to go and pay by the pound.

My DoorDash Uber-eats business is a fraction of that and a damn headache on many of the orders. Mostly from bad-acts by drivers or just a shortage of drivers. 90 min- 2 hours to get your food doesn’t cut it.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2023, 03:02 PM   #19
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
I blame this on the Franchises Manager....

They have no hiring or management skills.....

They are just in that position to collect a check...

Who ever puts him in there is to blame too...it goes up the line

I see this every time I go.....

I stopped paying in cash because they look at it for 5 mins not knowing what to

do...

PS- I always check my order...something is missing most of the time
Have you hired anybody in the last 10 years?

THE POOL IS POISONED

Anybody applying for an entry level job (especially young people)

Have almost no skills at all. I’m talking about the basics. Reading-writing-counting money etc

The public schools and social media have ruined young people.

They can’t even use a mop or broom without a half hour training course and then they still don t get it most of the time

Last edited by JustRalph; 12-29-2023 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-29-2023, 03:26 PM   #20
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Have you hired anybody in the last 10 years?

THE POOL IS POISONED

Anybody applying for an entry level job (especially young people)

Have almost no skills at all. I’m talking about the basics. Reading-writing-counting money etc

The public schools and social media have ruined young people.

They can’t even use a mop or broom without a half hour training course and then they still don t get it most of the time
Your not getting a brain surgeon to work at McDonalds

There has to be some kind of teaching in every business...

Starting with management!!!
Old 12-29-2023, 04:45 PM   #21
wisconsin

Quote:

What Ralph is talking about, and I've witnessed it over and over, are a serious lack of basic life skills. I taught my kids well, but some kids, sorry to report, are as bright as a black wall.

Management can only do so much. But again, life skills are ingrained, not taught by your boss.
Old 12-29-2023, 05:29 PM   #22
Inner Dirt

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
What Ralph is talking about, and I've witnessed it over and over, are a serious lack of basic life skills. I taught my kids well, but some kids, sorry to report, are as bright as a black wall.

Management can only do so much. But again, life skills are ingrained, not taught by your boss.

Not sure where Saratoga is coming from, I agree with Ralph as the decades roll by the younger generation gets worse and worse. I thought it was bad 30 years ago when I struck out on my own after being a hands on supervisor at two large companies. On a whole my generation, I am 62, was not as schooled in life skills on average as my dad's. I think multiple things have caused this, the biggest culprit was technology, the good was you could get more done in a shorter period of time. Problem with that technology has also provided more ways for the unmotivated to waste time.

The only time wasting I pulled was
going in the can to get the race results and sports scores on KNX 1070 on my transistor radio. For the record the two large companies I worked for tracked employee efficiency when I was a full time worker bee I was on the top of the leader board and when I went to running the department it was tops compared to the others so I did not feel guilty.

I think another thing to blame is the school system, I think home economics and shop classes are rare. When I went to High School we must of had a half dozen or so full year shop classes and a couple samplers where you switched every quarter. Also High School seems to push people away from working with their hands, these days. I also think you can blame
the parents, as a whole they don't seem to push the kids to grow up.
I bet the average age the typical young man leaves home go up by the decade, and then there is every other kid is medicated issue.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2023, 08:15 PM   #23
fast4522

Undocumented immigrants will qualify for free health care in California on Jan. 1

Cash-strapped California will ring in the new year by offering free health care to all undocumented immigrants who qualify for the state’s government-run health insurance program.

https://dnyuz.com/2023/12/29/undocum...rnia-on-jan-1/
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2023, 09:03 PM   #24
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Not sure where Saratoga is coming from, I agree with Ralph as the decades roll by the younger generation gets worse and worse. I thought it was bad 30 years ago when I struck out on my own after being a hands on supervisor at two large companies. On a whole my generation, I am 62, was not as schooled in life skills on average as my dad's. I think multiple things have caused this, the biggest culprit was technology, the good was you could get more done in a shorter period of time. Problem with that technology has also provided more ways for the unmotivated to waste time.

The only time wasting I pulled was
going in the can to get the race results and sports scores on KNX 1070 on my transistor radio. For the record the two large companies I worked for tracked employee efficiency when I was a full time worker bee I was on the top of the leader board and when I went to running the department it was tops compared to the others so I did not feel guilty.

I think another thing to blame is the school system, I think home economics and shop classes are rare. When I went to High School we must of had a half dozen or so full year shop classes and a couple samplers where you switched every quarter. Also High School seems to push people away from working with their hands, these days. I also think you can blame
the parents, as a whole they don't seem to push the kids to grow up.
I bet the average age the typical young man leaves home go up by the decade, and then there is every other kid is medicated issue.
I can tell you that my 8 year old niece is a lot better at texting that I will ever be...
Old 12-29-2023, 09:12 PM   #25
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Cash-strapped California will ring in the new year by offering free health care to all undocumented immigrants who qualify for the state’s government-run health insurance program.

https://dnyuz.com/2023/12/29/undocum...rnia-on-jan-1/
dang, they axed the funding for their reparations committee ... I guess you can see where their priorities are.
Old 12-29-2023, 11:36 PM   #26
mostpost

Quote:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pizza-h...nkId=257612767

What did they expect?

$20 an hour to deliver pizza……….nope…..not gonna do it

The lady in the vid says big corporations have the money……..these places are owned by local franchisees
California AB 1228 was written with input from the Fast Food Industry to replace another law they didn’t like. The Industry has two of the nine seats on the new regulatory board. Also on the committee would be, two representatives of fast food restaurant franchisee or restaurant owners, two representatives of fast food restaurant employees, two representatives of advocates for fast food restaurant employees and one unaffiliated member of the public who is not an owner, franchisee, officer, or employee in the fast food industry or a labor organization.

So, these two franchisees are complaining about a law their industry helped write. The fact is this has nothing to do with the wage increase. These franchises are eliminating delivery service. Their customers are either going to have to pick up or use door dash or similar. Well, surprise, surprise. There are thousands of pizza places that still deliver.
Old 12-30-2023, 12:07 AM   #27
Inner Dirt

Quote:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pizza-h...nkId=257612767

What did they expect?

$20 an hour to deliver pizza……….nope…..not gonna do it

The lady in the vid says big corporations have the money……..these places are owned by local franchisees

Most people are flat out stupid when it comes to how businesses operate. I think in modern times we can attribute that to the way Democrat politicians demonize businesses and wealthy people. Reading comments on MSN about the Pizza Hut issue that lady is not in the minority. There is one company that owns 900 Pizza Hut locations and a lot of other food joints. That 900 is the most by far the most that any single entity owns out of like 19,000. I do not think Pizza Hut has any corporate locations.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2024, 06:54 PM   #28
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Here we go!

https://nypost.com/2024/02/08/busine...ampaign=nypost

Last edited by JustRalph; 02-13-2024 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:40 PM   #29
davew

the problem with raising the minimum is that all the others that have been there awhile and no longer were getting minimum have to get a proportional raise as well.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:08 PM   #30
Mulerider

Quote:
Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA), running for the U.S. Senate, is proposing a $50 per hour federal minimum wage.

No doubt she's never signed the front of a paycheck, only the back.