Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #46
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Guys. Not riding Baffert's horse was NEVER EVER considered. He changed Martin's life. Made him a national name and very rich man.

No decision. No Negotiating. No talk.

When Baffert entered Headley got the bad news.

I got a trip to see the stewards.
If you ever get back in, you do an end around on Bruce and tell Karen what a wonderful gal she is. Looks like she's going to have the stable here pretty shortly anyhow.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #47
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
If you ever get back in, you do an end around on Bruce and tell Karen what a wonderful gal she is. Looks like she's going to have the stable here pretty shortly anyhow.
Won't work in that spot. She was madder than her dad. Oh well. They were justified in being so upset.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #48
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Won't work in that spot. She was madder than her dad. Oh well. They were justified in being so upset.
Were they? They didnt understand that you have to ride for Baffert?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #49
Mineshaft
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup

Oh they understood but I think what we really got them mad was that it was the morning of the draw and they really didn't have enough time to shop around for a rider plus im sure the other top jocks were taken.
Mineshaft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2014, 11:54 PM   #50
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineshaft
Oh they understood but I think what we really got them mad was that it was the morning of the draw and they really didn't have enough time to shop around for a rider plus im sure the other top jocks were taken.
Bingo. They understood fine. I think deep down they knew my hands were tied. That didn't make them any less PO'd. They have to look out for the best interests of the Headley barn.

I was the one who put them in an awful spot. I 100% understand why they got so upset. I would have as well.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:58 PM   #51
v j stauffer

Quote:
They didn't care about Baffert. Why would or should they? I gave them a call. Exactly the same as giving someone your word. I reneged on that promise. End of story.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #52
fmolf

thanks vic read the whole thread awesome inside info on machinations behind the scenes.Hope to hear you calling races soon......

"a good jockey cannot make a slow horse fast but a bad jockey can make a fast horse slower"...Anonymous racetracker
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2014, 11:51 PM   #53
Mineshaft
Veteran

Quote:
They didn't care about Baffert. Why would or should they? I gave them a call. Exactly the same as giving someone your word. I reneged on that promise. End of story.

Probably one of the worst things being a jock agent is sometimes you have to spin a trainer and look out for your jock and yourself. You just hope it doesn't happen a lot. Trainers understand you have to ride the better horse but sometimes trainers think you have to ride there horse even though its not the best horse in the race. And im talking about trainers who win at a 2% clip wanting you to ride there horse over a 20% trainer. Some understand and some don't have a clue why you choose the 20% trainer over them.
Mineshaft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2014, 12:15 AM   #54
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineshaft
Probably one of the worst things being a jock agent is sometimes you have to spin a trainer and look out for your jock and yourself. You just hope it doesn't happen a lot. Trainers understand you have to ride the better horse but sometimes trainers think you have to ride there horse even though its not the best horse in the race. And im talking about trainers who win at a 2% clip wanting you to ride there horse over a 20% trainer. Some understand and some don't have a clue why you choose the 20% trainer over them.
The next trainer that understands getting spun will be the first. What they do understand is I gave them my word and then took it back. They couldn't care about the reasons. They care about their best business interests and nothing else. As it should be.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:12 AM   #55
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
The next trainer that understands getting spun will be the first. What they do understand is I gave them my word and then took it back. They couldn't care about the reasons. They care about their best business interests and nothing else. As it should be.
How was it in Headley's "best interest" to essentially "fire" You for "life"? Seems like his ego got in the way because the next time Garcia/Rosario is available, he won't use him on spite and go to a lesser rider who might cost him a race. Seems to me that his best interest would be to keep all his options open as far as rider choices in the future.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:25 AM   #56
v j stauffer

Quote:
How was it in Headley's "best interest" to essentially "fire" You for "life"? Seems like his ego got in the way because the next time Garcia/Rosario is available, he won't use him on spite and go to a lesser rider who might cost him a race. Seems to me that his best interest would be to keep all his options open as far as rider choices in the future.
One way of looking at it. But if you can't trust someone it's tough to do business with them. Fool me once................

There were many things I enjoyed about being an agent. Disappointing and or making trainers mad certainly wasn't one of them.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:38 AM   #57
thespaah

Quote:
Like Val Kilmer said in "REal Genius".."there lots of brands of Decaf on the market"...
In other words, So Cal has a very strong jockey colony.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2014, 03:34 AM   #58
Edward DeVere

Ah, yes, the "honorable" Bruce Headley.

Those of you with a short memory: Feel free to look around on the internet for Bruce Headley and Jess Jackson stories.
Edward DeVere is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2014, 03:36 AM   #59
Edward DeVere

And then ask yourself: "Gee, I wonder if this was the only time in his life Bruce Headley was involved with something like this?"
Edward DeVere is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2014, 03:39 AM   #60
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Like Val Kilmer said in "REal Genius".."there lots of brands of Decaf on the market"...
In other words, So Cal has a very strong jockey colony.
But there's still a "pecking order" and when Rosario and Bejarano were dominating the place, if you didnt get one of those guys, it was pretty hard to win.