Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #76
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
For the record it has not.
You saved me the keystrokes. Thanks!
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #77
mannyberrios
easygoer

Quote:
For the record it has not.
thank you Al
mannyberrios is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #78
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Nobody can argue the fact that NYRA racing is the most popular, most prestigious, highest handle-generating product in the United States of America.

Therefore, I don't see the need for such a radical departure from the source of this success. Reform? Yes. Throw out the baby with the bath water?

Good luck to NY racing if it simply becomes just another stock in CDI's portfolio.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #79
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Nobody can argue the fact that NYRA racing is the most popular, most prestigious, highest handle-generating product in the United States of America.

Therefore, I don't see the need for such a radical departure from the source of this success. Reform? Yes. Throw out the baby with the bath water?

Good luck to NY racing if it simply becomes just another stock in CDI's portfolio.
I agree. My biggest fear is a new operator coming in and screwing up Saratoga.
As you know there are people who believe in change for the sake of change and not enough people who think "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
Saratoga's success lies in two things...Short meet with high purses AND the August focused timing of the meet.
Of course tradition and prestige of getting your(winner's circle) picture taken at The Spa helps a bunch too.
Look, if an owner tells his buddies he had a horse win at Turfway the reaction is "that's nice"...If he tells them he had a winner at Saratoga, people who know racing and within earshot suddenly want to talk to the owner about it.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #80
tzipi

Quote:

Perfectly put
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #81
aaron

Quote:

Agree with everything above,but how can you make NYRA racing profitable without slots ?
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #82
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron
Agree with everything above,but how can you make NYRA racing profitable without slots ?
Let them control NYCOTB and take adw players from all states where it is legal would probably do it....by a pretty fair margin.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #83
aaron

Quote:
Let them control NYCOTB and take adw players from all states where it is legal would probably do it....by a pretty fair margin.
So you would think any entity willing to purchase NYRA,would require this. I wonder how racing would have fared if NYRA didn't turn down running OTB 40 years ago. Would we be even having this conversation ?
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #84
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron
So you would think any entity willing to purchase NYRA,would require this. I wonder how racing would have fared if NYRA didn't turn down running OTB 40 years ago. Would we be even having this conversation ?
No. Some might, but others would buy it to cut it up. There clearly are valuable parts. Of course NYRA got the right to open 10 Teletheaters in the city many years ago and the state still won't let them open those, so who knows how the OTB thing would have worked out.

What you have to remember as well was the original OTBs were nothing like what they are now. They only did NYRA and it was only a radio signal. You could get that just as easy and in more comfort from your local bar and bookie. It's easy to say it was a mistake now, but not so much back then.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #85
classhandicapper

I have no major problems with NYRA management, but they have a unique advantage over almost everyone else because they operates 2 tracks in high population/high wealth areas. So at a minimum you'd expect handle to be higher, which in turn drives everything else. It's hard to compare NY to anything other than a couple of other tracks.

They have done a magnificent job with Saratoga though. The meet might be a tad too long and watered down at this stage, but it's still an incredible place with great racing When I go there I feel like I'm in a scene from Field of Dreams. I keep asking "Is this heaven?"
Old 09-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #86
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I have no major problems with NYRA management, but they have a unique advantage over almost everyone else because they operates 2 tracks in high population/high wealth areas. So at a minimum you'd expect handle to be higher, which in turn drives everything else. It's hard to compare NY to anything other than a couple of other tracks.

They have done a magnificent job with Saratoga though. The meet might be a tad too long and watered down at this stage, but it's still an incredible place with great racing When I go there I feel like I'm in a scene from Field of Dreams. I keep asking "Is this heaven?"
Yeah, wait until CDI gets in there....Bouncy Bounce every day, a mall, a ferris wheel and all the cheap races you can take....lol...lol.
burnsy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #87
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
Yeah, wait until CDI gets in there....Bouncy Bounce every day, a mall, a ferris wheel and all the cheap races you can take....lol...lol.
That is precisely what I was referring to in my post above.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #88
Itamaraca
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
Another one who thinks this is 1980. Oh please, don't take our NON CHEAP racing away.

What would we do? Where would we go? NYRA is the only one that can deliver this high quality racing: off-the-turf at the mere thought of moisture; TONS of biases; a racing secretary that doesn't understand the concept of mixing distances; FULL fields ( ); consistently/incredibly low exotic payouts, relatively; etc.

right

Last edited by Itamaraca; 09-26-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Itamaraca is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #89
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itamaraca
Another one who thinks this is 1980. Oh please, don't take our NON CHEAP racing away.

What would we do? Where would we go? NYRA is the only one that can deliver this high quality racing: off-the-turf at the mere thought of moisture; TONS of biases; a racing secretary that doesn't understand the concept of mixing distances; FULL fields ( ); consistently/incredibly low exotic payouts, relatively; etc.

right
HUH?!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #90
MartyZee

Far from perfect

Yes the NYRA has many problems and is far from perfect but it beats the heck out of 99% of what's out there
MartyZee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply