Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
andymays
Veteran

Blatant Bias? What a Surprise! Trevor Denman tried to root Zenyatta home

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,4695748.story

Excerpt:

"In only two races in my history have I been blatantly biased," Denman said Tuesday from his farm in Minnesota. "[ Bill] Shoemaker's last ride, in that race I said, 'Come on Shoe,' because I wanted him to win so bad, he ran fourth but at the eighth pole he could have won it and, literally, I said, 'Come on Shoe,' and then Saturday. I wanted so badly for Zenyatta to win.

"You have to have sagacity and say, 'This occasion is different and I have to be different.' I have to admit, I almost said, 'Come on,' right before Blame and Zenyatta hit the wire.

I think you can hear exasperation in my voice, at the end. I was deflated when I said, 'Blame has won it.' "

Last edited by andymays; 11-10-2010 at 09:03 AM.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
ihatenyra

At least he admitted it. I can tell you Durkin has been biased a heck of a lot more than 2 times in his career.

Was there ever an obvious letdown than "Birdstone wins the belmont stakes"
ihatenyra is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenyra
At least he admitted it. I can tell you Durkin has been biased a heck of a lot more than 2 times in his career.

Was there ever an obvious letdown than "Birdstone wins the belmont stakes"
Yeah, and Denman's delusional if he thinks his bias has been blatant only twice. A race caller doesn't need to yell "move your bloomin' arse" to be blatantly biased.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
ihatenyra

Actually though in fairness to Tom he did make it up to Birdstone and acknowledged his belmont stakes victory more enthusiastically. The problem was it came in the Travers
Old 11-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
andymays
Veteran

I don't think this is a surprise to anyone. It was pretty obvious.

I'm not a Denman fan but at least he's admitting it.

I guess a quite a few announcers anticipate things that don't always happen. Especially when they handicap and bet on a race they're calling.

Last edited by andymays; 11-10-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
lamboguy

i don't blame him
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i don't blame him
Hmmmmm
Old 11-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
NTamm1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenyra
Actually though in fairness to Tom he did make it up to Birdstone and acknowledged his belmont stakes victory more enthusiastically. The problem was it came in the Travers
It would have been so much better if Durkin's call of the 2004 Belmont stretch was "Smarty Jones, Smarty JOnes, Smmmmaarrrtttyyy Jjjjoonnneesss! Birdstone won it a length."

That call, from start to finish, is absolutely flawless and should be used as an example for how to capture a huge moment perfectly from the booth.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
ihatenyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
It would have been so much better if Durkin's call of the 2004 Belmont stretch was "Smarty Jones, Smarty JOnes, Smmmmaarrrtttyyy Jjjjoonnneesss! Birdstone won it a length."

That call, from start to finish, is absolutely flawless and should be used as an example for how to capture a huge moment perfectly from the booth.
I'll give him credit for one thing, he knew Birdstone would be a huge threat before they straightened for the stretch.

And Birdstone, what a horse only one to win the belmont stakes twice
Old 11-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
eastie
Double Secret Probation

They are supposed to be biased. You could tell who Jim Hannon bet just by the way the race was called. That's what makes this game so great. Individuality is a wonderful thing. I'm sure there were plenty of people who bet Blame who were rooting for Zenyatta to win anyway. Almost everyone was rooting for Zenyatta to make history ( except PA CJ TLG and Duh Hoss) If Denman gets knocked for this, then people have way too much time to complain. Long live the Queen
eastie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastie
They are supposed to be biased. You could tell who Jim Hannon bet just by the way the race was called. That's what makes this game so great. Individuality is a wonderful thing. I'm sure there were plenty of people who bet Blame who were rooting for Zenyatta to win anyway. Almost everyone was rooting for Zenyatta to make history ( except PA CJ TLG and Duh Hoss) If Denman gets knocked for this, then people have way too much time to complain. Long live the Queen
I seriously doubt most people that bet on Blame were rooting for Zenyatta. You are maintaining your 100% batting average.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #12
FenceBored

Quote:
Elizabeth? I'll second that (no pun intended).
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #13
ukbro00

I see nothing wrong with it. TV Ratings were up 300% because of Zenyatta and the 2 million extra people who were watching the race were rooting for her.
ukbro00 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #14
NTamm1215

Quote:
They are specifically NOT supposed to be biased. That's why the large majority of racing entities don't allow their announcers to wager.

And by the way, I bet Blame, I was cheering for him.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #15
mountainman

In his prime, perhaps the best caller ever. In this instance, completely unprofessional. In whining for a Zenyatta win, Denman shortchanged the multitudes whose hopes, dreams, and money were carried by other participants. And the disservice done to the gallant winner, his supporters, and connections is unforgivable. Blame's brave effort deserved to be punctuated by a fair and square stretch-call that both captured the drama and gave him HIS due.

Last edited by mountainman; 11-10-2010 at 10:28 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply