Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-31-2018, 12:55 AM   #16
Rico8812

Thought this was an interesting Romans quote. Kinda makes me wonder...

The thing is, he’s just so good at what he does. He never had catastrophic injury in 11 years. Anyone that hasn’t had a catastrophic injury over that long a period of time can’t be cheating. If you give horses medicines to make them go faster than they’re capable of, they’re going to blow apart. They’re going to drop over dead. They can’t handle that.
Rico8812 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2018, 06:02 PM   #17
Thomas Roulston

Dutrow cheated to win. Pete Rose bet on his own team to lose.

If you believe that Dutrow is not as bad as Rose, then maybe he should be reinstated.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2018, 08:47 PM   #18
BIG49010

Dale Roman's brother Jerry received some notoriety in 1988 when one of his horses won the first race on the Kentucky Derby card — paying $71 to win — after being entered under an erroneous name, Briarwood instead of Blairwood. The horse therefore showed no races in the Daily Racing Form, though he had raced twice in another state for another trainer. A two-day hearing disclosed a sequence of events that contributed to the error going undetected and the horse running. As the trainer, Romans got a 10-month suspension.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:50 AM   #19
affirmedny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG49010 View Post
Dale Roman's brother Jerry received some notoriety in 1988 when one of his horses won the first race on the Kentucky Derby card — paying $71 to win — after being entered under an erroneous name, Briarwood instead of Blairwood. The horse therefore showed no races in the Daily Racing Form, though he had raced twice in another state for another trainer. A two-day hearing disclosed a sequence of events that contributed to the error going undetected and the horse running. As the trainer, Romans got a 10-month suspension.
Father, not brother..
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2018, 12:22 PM   #20
Andy Asaro

Dutrow got 10 years because they hated his personality. Most would have gotten a year for the same offenses IMO.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #21
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

But they would have ALL deserved 10 years.
Dutrow should be banned for life.

Cheating cannot be tolerated - ever, by anyone.

It's really a simple thing to not get banned - don't freaking cheat. Those that do deserve no respect or mercy.

Piggle Wiggle needs bag boys...perhaps Druggy could handle a job with less temptation.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #22
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico8812 View Post
Thought this was an interesting Romans quote. Kinda makes me wonder...

The thing is, he’s just so good at what he does. He never had catastrophic injury in 11 years. Anyone that hasn’t had a catastrophic injury over that long a period of time can’t be cheating. If you give horses medicines to make them go faster than they’re capable of, they’re going to blow apart. They’re going to drop over dead. They can’t handle that.
Where'd the figure come from that he never had a catastrophic breakdown in 11 years? I'd wager that isn't true. Even the most careful and best horsemen probably have a rate of 1 catastrophic breakdown ever 3-5 years (including mornings).

Last edited by Fager Fan; 04-01-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2018, 08:15 PM   #23
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Where'd the figure come from that he never had a catastrophic breakdown in 11 years? I'd wager that isn't true. Even the most careful and best horsemen probably have a rate of 1 catastrophic breakdown ever 3-5 years (including mornings).
Well here's one off the top of my head:

http://www.espn.com/horse/news/2001/0605/1209762.html
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2018, 08:23 PM   #24
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
I'll bet it's true. Not many horsemen around who took better care of their horses than Dutrow.

Other brand name trainers that have horses drop dead on them under suspicious circumstances are still plying their trade trouble-free.

He got a very raw deal...bottom line.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2018, 10:06 PM   #25
Spalding No!

Quote:
Between July 2009 and June 2011, Dutrow had 3 fatalities. One racing and two training.

In that time span he also had one horse that was euthanized after an apparent heart attack.

Last edited by Spalding No!; 04-01-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2018, 05:10 AM   #26
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Between July 2009 and June 2011, Dutrow had 3 fatalities. One racing and two training.

In that time span he also had one horse that was euthanized after an apparent heart attack.
Thanks SG and Spaulding. I've heard over and over about how Dutrow took such great care of his horses, as if he was a rarity in that regard and it should be a mitigating factor. So it's not true after all.

Whether one thinks he got a raw deal or not, maybe his supposed great care can stop being used as an argument in favor of Dutrow. My opinion isn't that he got a raw deal, but that Baffert and others should've seen similar punishments.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #27
Ruffian1

The truth is that he did take great care of his horses. Unfortunately, taking great care of your horses does not exempt anyone from catastrophic breakdowns or heart attacks or whatever.

It's a shame that people just say things that sound real smart or catchy until those darn facts start to get in the way. Not only some of those that defend him, but some of those that want him banned for life as well.

It seems like a waste of time for me to opine about this. Most won't want to hear it anyway. Sometimes honesty and facts are no fun. So I will just say this:

He had a talent like few have ever had as a trainer. This was evident before he saddled his first starter.
But he also had total reckless disregard for preserving that talent and appreciating what he had.

Call him what you will but know that when you call him a trainer that cheated with drugs and needles, you are nowhere close to the truth. You are simply wrong.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2018, 09:38 AM   #28
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1 View Post
The truth is that he did take great care of his horses. Unfortunately, taking great care of your horses does not exempt anyone from catastrophic breakdowns or heart attacks or whatever.

It's a shame that people just say things that sound real smart or catchy until those darn facts start to get in the way. Not only some of those that defend him, but some of those that want him banned for life as well.

It seems like a waste of time for me to opine about this. Most won't want to hear it anyway. Sometimes honesty and facts are no fun. So I will just say this:

He had a talent like few have ever had as a trainer. This was evident before he saddled his first starter.
But he also had total reckless disregard for preserving that talent and appreciating what he had.

Call him what you will but know that when you call him a trainer that cheated with drugs and needles, you are nowhere close to the truth. You are simply wrong.
That's quite a smug post, and I have no idea why. Say he took such great care if you want, but I guarantee that catastrophic breakdown rate proves different because I know the stats of some others, and it's not 1+ a year. I'm not saying he was terrible, but this often repeated idea that he took such great care, as if it was at a rare level to make it a mitigating factor, isn't true.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #29
Andy Asaro

What amazes me is a guy like Baffert has 7 or 8 die of heart related issues within 18 months, is found to have been giving them Thyro-L for no good reason and gets the whole California establishment, mainly the CHRB to cover up for him. And then he is able to win a Triple Crown. Dutrow would have been sent to a black site, tortured and killed (a little over the top) under the same conditions because of his personality and not being too big to fail.

There are sham investigations that go both ways. Sham to cover up and sham to convict in Dutrows case. 10 years? No way.

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 04-02-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #30
Ruffian1

Quote:
That's quite a smug post, and I have no idea why. Say he took such great care if you want, but I guarantee that catastrophic breakdown rate proves different because I know the stats of some others, and it's not 1+ a year. I'm not saying he was terrible, but this often repeated idea that he took such great care, as if it was at a rare level to make it a mitigating factor, isn't true.
Smug?

I think you need to reread it.

I was mocking the guy who said what he did about great care, like that is a rarity, as well as those that make stories up to strengthen their negative agenda.

Taking great care of your horses does not cure catastrophic breakdowns.

People can have any opinion they want , but it should to be backed up with facts, not some nonsense that tries to justify it.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply