Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:10 PM   #3946
lamboguy

uber turned out to be a good trade today, i am out now. will look for re entry at some point.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2022, 12:13 PM   #3947
lamboguy

now i am going to focus on big mac. looking for 232 today for a short position.

i hate this company, so i would love to get a few french fries out of the deal.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:47 PM   #3948
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post
Revenue is not the issue.....Operating Expense is

yearly losses are coming down

But WTF I know...

By the way...What are those Congress People doing these days???
i don't know, and really don't care what the problems are. i just want to get in or out ahead of a few other people. the only problem i have is losing money. if i don't lose then i am happy.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:40 PM   #3949
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
McDonalds is going to have its problems this summer with the price of gasoline heading towards $7 per gallon and maybe higher and what i suspect will be food shortages in case the customer still makes into the store, the store may be short of things to sell them.

slong the same line of thought, i would be looking to short Coca Cola and Pepsi as well. they all have some good downside to travel

Mcdonald's has already dropped 20%. If the economy starts to get rocky it will capture market share from higher priced options. So good luck with that.

If you've owned Pepsi for the last 6 months you're 10% better off than the S&P500 over that time period.

The types of people that hold those stocks aren't some glass hands wannabe. They are serious long term investors (both are right in my wheelhouse) I won't say that they don't have room to drop, but betting against them instead of others is REALLY, REALLY stupid. The short interest in Mcdonald's is .79%, Pepsi is even lower. So like I said, good luck with that.

Shorting stuff right now is a decent play, I'd just think there are much easier targets.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2022, 01:45 PM   #3950
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post
Revenue is not the issue.....Operating Expense is

yearly losses are coming down

But WTF I know...

By the way...What are those Congress People doing these days???

Uber is a god damn dumpster fire, I wouldn't buy that stock if someone put a gun to my head.

You run a ride sharing & food deliver business, you don't pay for any of the food, nor do you buy the cars, the gas or the positioning devices the drivers use. Yet still you lose money every fucking quarter??? No thanks.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:46 PM   #3951
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
Mcdonald's has already dropped 20%. If the economy starts to get rocky it will capture market share from higher priced options. So good luck with that.

If you've owned Pepsi for the last 6 months you're 10% better off than the S&P500 over that time period.

The types of people that hold those stocks aren't some glass hands wannabe. They are serious long term investors (both are right in my wheelhouse) I won't say that they don't have room to drop, but betting against them instead of others is REALLY, REALLY stupid. The short interest in Mcdonald's is .79%, Pepsi is even lower. So like I said, good luck with that.

Shorting stuff right now is a decent play, I'd just think there are much easier targets.
everything in this game is risk and reward. sure there are better opportunities out there, but they are riskier. i am going to try to keep a short position in on MCD for the summer like an investment. i have been pretty dumb my whole life, why change now?
Old 05-19-2022, 01:56 PM   #3952
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
The market is heading down and the convo is about doom and gloom. When the market is high and happy, people are bragging about how they made money on a stock in the last 6 months.
This is the reason people on Wall St take home 7 figures.
What main street needs to do is when the market is heading down brag about how you scooped up which shares that are oversold. And when the market is frothing at the top, bragging at the water cooler about which shares you bought 5 or 10 years ago when the market was tanking and how you are selling now and taking your profit without worrying if it goes higher.
Playing on main street's greed and fear is how Wall St makes its money. Market swings are how Wall St creates this opportunity. Without the swings you only get 10% of the potential opportunity to fleece main street.

Couldn't agree more. Right now people should be buying.

One also has to consider that the markets don't crash without BIG, BIG firms selling. They also don't level out until those same firms start buying. So we don;t have to guess what the big money is during during those times. We already know.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:07 PM   #3953
lamboguy

i would not be that happy if i were a long today! the dollar fell 1002 points and your S+P did basically nothing..

i expect a real big down day Friday. i wouldn't doubt if the circuit breakers come into play.. the S+P could make it to 3800 tomorrow.

Gold stopped short of 1849. she might break through that Friday when nobody thinks it will happen.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:19 PM   #3954
lamboguy

a very wealthy CEO, unloaded $1,000,000 of his stock in Zentalis (ZNTL) for $50 a share a month ago. since then the stock has fallen by 50%. was this impeccable timing or what?

this is another one i missed
Old 05-19-2022, 04:28 PM   #3955
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Hmmmm...the volume TODAY was HIGHER on S&P futures (that basically went NOWHERE today...down like 15 points) compared to YESTERDAY's drop of 175 points.

What does THAT tell you?

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 05-19-2022 at 04:31 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2022, 04:35 PM   #3956
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Hmmmm...the volume TODAY was HIGHER on S&P futures (that basically went NOWHERE today...down like 15 points) compared to YESTERDAY's drop of 175 points.

What does THAT tell you?
its sets you up for volatility on Friday in a big way, with a downward in price bias!
Old 05-19-2022, 04:52 PM   #3957
lamboguy

my take on these markets is that they are going to raise the rates the 1/2 point in June. then for July, they are only going to go up 1/4 and the markets will go to the moon. then from there they are going to hit em again with the 1/2 point and that will give the markets a nice haircut again.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:49 PM   #3958
dlivery

Quote:
my take on these markets is that they are going to raise the rates the 1/2 point in June. then for July, they are only going to go up 1/4 and the markets will go to the moon. then from there they are going to hit em again with the 1/2 point and that will give the markets a nice haircut again.
Would be like squeezing the juice or the pulp as rates rise.
dlivery is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2022, 12:11 AM   #3959
Rex Phinney

Quote:
The fed is for sure doing 50 point raises in June & July. Honestly right now the economic health of the nation is on the line. Inflation has to reeled in. If the stock market keeps dropping because of it, oh well.

By July/ August earnings are going to be a bigger hurdle for stocks than rates IMO. Imagine that we’ve dropped nearly 20% and we haven’t had a single earnings revision downward from a meaningful company yet. That’s pretty scary in terms of how much further we could have to go.
Old 05-20-2022, 03:17 AM   #3960
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
The fed is for sure doing 50 point raises in June & July. Honestly right now the economic health of the nation is on the line. Inflation has to reeled in. If the stock market keeps dropping because of it, oh well.

By July/ August earnings are going to be a bigger hurdle for stocks than rates IMO. Imagine that we’ve dropped nearly 20% and we haven’t had a single earnings revision downward from a meaningful company yet. That’s pretty scary in terms of how much further we could have to go.
forget about the rates to manipulate these markets. the erosion of top soil at the rate of 1% per year is giant. there are some solutions over time though, but because of poor planning, there will be some type of food shortages and an increase in crop prices. you can conclude that there will be some intertwining problems going further. like the ability to feed other parts of the world and take on any large influx of population. this certainly will hurt equity markets going forward. a lot of the economic basis we have here like social security is funded like a chain letter. so the problems with the markets are not that simple to overcome. .

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...#39;s%20Future.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: