Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #1
tucker6

What is your take on last night?

My takeaways on the winners are:

1. Trump won in more ways than one. He now has a foil in Pelosi with which he can blame for problems that come up. He also showed that he can get candidates across the finish line first if they follow him and he supports them. He was by far the biggest winner last night, and showed everyone that 2016 was no accident. Whether you like him or not, his base is powerful and elected several senators last night that were going to lose without Trumps support.
2. Conservatives won in that they have a strong majority in the senate with which to appoint more conservatives to the bench.
3. Pelosi and the dems in the House. They have power now but need to use it wisely. Investigating Trump would be huge FOR Trump. If Pelosi decides to work with Trump on healthcare, immigration, and the debt, then I believe the dems can make additional gains in 2020. But can they?

The losers are:

1. Rinos. An endangered species it would appear. If you aren't what the GOP needs into the future, then you might as well run as a dem because rank and file GOP don't want you.
2. Obama. The big races he supported all lost. He has negative coattails.
3. Big money. How can you spend $120M in Texas and lose the race? $5B overall was spent on this election, with the majority on democrats. All there is to show for it is a very slim majority in the House with a greater deficit in the Senate. With Trump on the 2020 ballot, I expect big money will do even worse.
4. Hollywood. They may love your movies and your music, but nobody gives a damn about your politics.

Last edited by tucker6; 11-07-2018 at 08:50 AM.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

My take is I have no idea how politics in this country is supposed to work anymore...so I won't be foolish enough to make predictions about how things will go...
Old 11-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #3
Andy Asaro

I don't think it's a bad thing that they took the house right now. The Senate is the key victory. Stock Market seems to like it. I doubt the Dems will stay in control if they refuse to work with the Prez to solve immigration, infrastructure, and health care.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #4
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
My takeaways on the winners are:

1. Trump won in more ways than one. He now has a foil in Pelosi with which he can blame for problems that come up. He also showed that he can get candidates across the finish line first if they follow him and he supports them. He was by far the biggest winner last night, and showed everyone that 2016 was no accident. Whether you like him or not, his base is powerful and elected several senators last night that were going to lose without Trumps support.
2. Conservatives won in that they have a strong majority in the senate with which to appoint more conservatives to the bench.
3. Pelosi and the dems in the House. They have power now but need to use it wisely. Investigating Trump would be huge FOR Trump. If Pelosi decides to work with Trump on healthcare, immigration, and the debt, then I believe the dems can make additional gains in 2020. But can they?

The losers are:

1. Rinos. An endangered species it would appear. If you aren't what the GOP needs into the future, then you might as well run as a dem because rank and file GOP don't want you.
2. Obama. The big races he supported all lost.
3. Big money. How can you spend $120M in Texas and lose the race? $5B overall was spent on this election, with the majority on democrats. All there is to show for it is a very slim majority in the House with a greater deficit in the Senate. With Trump on the 2020 ballot, I expect big money will do even worse.
4. Hollywood. They may love your movies and your music, but nobody gives a damn about your politics.
Ted Cruz is a lousy candidate.Texas is booming and is a solid red state and he beat a little known rep from remote El Paso by only 2 points.If he runs again in 2024,he loses.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Things shook out pretty much as history said they should.
some of us hoped for House to stay red, but we understood it was not for sure.

Trump now has a good situation.
He can throw blame on the house for not getting things done while the Senate is there to:

1. Defeat any extreme BS bill the dems will pass
2. Ensure impeachment is no more than ceremonial
3. Pass appointments

Are the dems foolish enough to re-elect Pelosi as Speaker?
Her very words were subpoena, subpoena, subpoena.
Is that what the people want, or do they want legislate, legislate, legislate?

Nancy as speaker has got to worth 5-10 points in 2020.
She is far too stupid and far to biased to hide it.

Trump has been willing to reach across the aisle, but the dems have resisted. That is ok for an opposition party, but now the responsibility is all theirs.

All in all, a coin was flipped 20 times and we got 10 heads, 10 tails.
In l the bravado by a few here, they bet a 3-5 shot and are trying to tell us what great handicappers they are.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:29 AM   #6
elysiantraveller

Trump can really juice his base; economically anxious rural whites.

GOP will look at gains in the Senate as a victory.

Democrats won the suburbs and popular vote by a larger margin with a stronger economy.

Legislatively the Trump agenda is done. Basically, Obama 2010.

Democrats need a Immigration Policy.

There isn't much blood left in the stone if the GOP doesn't outreach.

The first four are just plain facts... the last two it will be interesting to see how this is attempted.

Curious to see how the WH tacks or if they do at all...

269-269 seems like a real possibility in 2020.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 11-07-2018 at 09:31 AM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post

Democrats won the suburbs and popular vote by a larger margin with a stronger economy.

The first four are just plain facts... the last two it will be interesting to see how this is attempted.

Oh...so, it's not the country that needs an immigration policy; it's the dimwit party that needs it?
Old 11-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
tucker6

Quote:

you know exactly how Trump will react. He will put up a bill on immigration and healthcare that will force the dems to select their preferred poison(s). They won't be able to hide from making a decision. Then he will run against them on that in 2020. I can hear him now, "Nancy and her merry gang of dems wouldn't support toughening our immigration laws, but instead support x, y and z". You've seen that movie before.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

269 in 2020 this early......
Old 11-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #10
tucker6

Quote:
I thought they were stupid hillbillies clinging to their Bibles and guns. Well guess what Bubba, those anxious rural white hillbillies have controlled the last two national elections, so be more mindful of their stupid thoughts and opinions. They might just be in the majority.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #11
Ocala Mike

Redboarding, I know. This from my post in another thread.

"We shall see, but it appears to me that the R's are hoping the wire comes up for them, while the D's are hoping they don't run out of ground.

Prediction - huge gains for the D's in the House, state legislatures, and governorships with loss of 1 or 2 seats in the Senate. The usual Trump echo chambers will view this latter as a major triumph. Wall St. will stage a major rally on Wednesday."
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #12
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Ted Cruz is a lousy candidate.Texas is booming and is a solid red state and he beat a little known rep from remote El Paso by only 2 points.If he runs again in 2024,he loses.
As a Texan I have to disagree. Beto was an anomaly. He presented himself as a new Bobby Kennedy, dedicated to bipartisanship, when anyone paying attention to his voting record knew exactly what he is. He captured the imaginations of many on the left, and money poured in from out-of-state.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2018, 09:46 AM   #13
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Oh...so, it's not the country that needs an immigration policy; it's the dimwit party that needs it?
Democrats were beaten badly with the Caravan Whipping Stick. I said it was a smart move by Trump when he did it and it worked. Look at how hot and bothered everyone in here got about it.

The Democrats didn't respond because they really don't have a party platform on immigration... its something the Democrats have to address.

The WH has to realize this is diminishing returns politics. They were soundly beaten in suburban communities with a roaring economy and sub 4% unemployment.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #14
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
I thought they were stupid hillbillies clinging to their Bibles and guns. Well guess what Bubba, those anxious rural white hillbillies have controlled the last two national elections, so be more mindful of their stupid thoughts and opinions. They might just be in the majority.
You are stupid hillbillies.

You just lost 30+ house seats and the national ballot by 9% with sub 4% unemployment ...

It is even more evident today they aren't...

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 11-07-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
You are stupid hillbillies.
Shitpost

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: