Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-04-2018, 11:09 PM   #121
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post

Inflation rates averaged 11.3% in 1979 and 13.5% in 1980. The battle against inflation was finally won because of the tough monetary policies of the Fed chairman, Paul Volcker, appointed by Mr. Carter in 1979. Mr. Volcker vanquished high inflation, but the cost of this success was in the form of high interest rates and rising unemployment. Who could afford a mortgage under Carter at 20% interest? This, the oil crisis, the Iranian hostage debacle ...I'm sure these are the reasons for Carters failed reelection. The most unstable period of the country in my lifetime.

Carter left office with an 8% unemployment rate contrast to Reagan leaving office with an unemployment rate of 5.5 %
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2018, 11:27 PM   #122
Suff
Beat up 💪

I don't care Jimmy.. truly. I only posted the images because its a CNBC article that I read today.

Keep in mind that its OK to be uninformed and stupid in places like Indiana, Texas and Mississippi etc.. But your from Mass and I hold us to a higher standard.

Also, most of these yahoo's are posting in OT because no real human beings can stand the sight or sounds of them for longer than 5 minutes.

Keep it real my brother, and if you get to Gulfstream give me a shout.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2018, 11:55 PM   #123
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
not to get off topic, but what did Obama actually do in his 8 years that lends itself to any support among the populace? What did he do for America? What was improved beyond giving trans an extra bathroom to use?
https://www.thebalance.com/what-has-...hments-3306158

1. Ended the 2008 Recession
In February 2009, Congress approved Obama's $787 billion economic stimulus package. It cut taxes, extended unemployment benefits, and funded public works projects.

The recession ended in July 2009 when GDP growth turned positive.
In just seven months, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act pumped $241.9 billion into the economy. That increased growth to a robust 3.9 percent rate by early 2010. By March 30, 2011, almost all ($633.5 billion) of the funds were spent.

2. Modernized the Auto Industry
Obama bailed out the U.S. auto industry on March 30, 2009. The federal government took over General Motors and Chrysler, saving three million jobs. It forced the companies to become more fuel efficient and therefore more globally competitive.

3. Received the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize
On October 9, 2009, Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize. The Committee lauded "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples." He withdrew troops from Iraq in 2011. He reduced the U.S. nuclear warhead stockpile by 10 percent.

4. Reformed Health Care
On March 23, 2010, the Affordable Care Act revolutionized healthcare. By 2014, the economy benefited from having 95 percent of the population on health insurance.

The greater number of people receiving preventive care reduced the number of expensive visits to emergency rooms.
That slows the rise of health care costs for everyone. That's because Medicaid reimburses hospitals for emergency care. Those are the most significant of Obamacare's 10 advantages.

Why did health care need to be reformed? Rising costs threatened to take over the entire federal budget. It was also the no.1 cause of bankruptcies. In return, Americans received the worst health care in the developed world. It is the only one of 33 developed countries without universal health care.

President Donald Trump promised to "repeal and replace" Obamacare. As of October 2017, he has failed to pass any legislation. But he is weakening Obamacare even without repeal.

5. Regulated the Big Banks
In July 2010, the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform Act improved regulation of eight areas that led to the financial crisis. The Consumer Financial Protection Agency reduced harmful practices of credit cards and mortgages. The Financial Stability Oversight Council regulated hedge funds and banks that became too big to fail. The "Volcker Rule" banned banks from risking losses with their depositors' money. Dodd-Frank clarified which agencies regulated which banks, stopping banks from cherry-picking their regulators.

Dodd-Frank directed the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission. These regulated the riskiest derivatives, like credit default swaps and commodities futures. Dodd-Frank also asked the SEC to recommend how the credit rating agencies, like Moody's and Standard & Poor's, could be improved.

6. 2010 Tax Cuts
In December 2010, Obama and Congress agreed upon additional stimulus in the form of an $858 billion tax cut. It had three main components: a $350 billion extension of the Bush tax cuts, a $56 billion extension of unemployment benefits, and a $120 billion reduction in workers' payroll taxes. Businesses received $140 billion in tax cuts for capital improvements and $80 billion in research and development tax credits. The estate tax was exempted (up to $5 million), and there were additional credits for college tuition and children.

7. Eliminated bin Laden Threat and Withdrew Troops from Iraq and Afghanistan Wars
On May 1, 2011, Navy SEALs attacked the al-Qaida leader's compound in Pakistan and eliminated Osama bin Laden. Later that year, Obama withdrew troops from the Iraq War. Three years later, renewed threats from ISIS meant troops had to return. The Sunni-Shiite split within Islam means there may always be wars in the Middle East.

In 2014, Obama wound down the war in Afghanistan. Ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan should have reduced annual military spending. At over $800 billion, it was the largest discretionary budget item and one of the leading causes of the budget deficit and national debt.

Instead, spending on the War on Terror remained higher than during the Bush administration.
8. Raised Fuel Efficiency Standards
On August 28, 2012, the Obama administration announced new fuel efficiency standards. He required cars and light trucks obtain 54.5 MPG by 2025. That would reduce oil consumption by 12 billion barrels, saving drivers $1.7 trillion. It would also reduce the damage of climate change by lowering greenhouse gases.

The Trump administration promised to roll back these standards. But California requires zero-emissions vehicles. Twelve other states adopted the mandate. Major automakers must build cars to meet stricter standards in the European Union and Asia.

9. Won 2012 Presidential Re-election
On November 6, 2012, Obama won a second term. Republican Presidential candidate Mitt Romney promised to repeal Obamacare and Dodd-Frank. Voters were not sure about eliminating health benefits and regulations against big banks. Romney failed to capture the country's imagination by not presenting a new vision for economic growth.

10. Reduced Carbon Emissions
Obama announced carbon reduction regulations in 2014. He enacted the Clean Power Plan in 2015. It reduces carbon dioxide emissions by 32 percent from 2005 levels by 2030. It did this by setting carbon reduction goals for the nation's power plants. To comply, power plants agreed to create 30 percent more renewable energy generation by 2030. It encourages carbon emissions trading by allowing states that emit less than the carbon cap to trade their surplus to states that emit more than the cap.

11. Nuclear Agreement With Iran
On July 14, 2015, Obama brokered a nuclear peace agreement with Iran. That meant Iran could not longer build a nuclear bomb in three months. Instead, it would take at least a year. In return, the United Nations lifted the economic sanctions it imposed in 2010. Trump is weakening the agreement to try and negotiate a better deal for the United States.

12. World's Largest Trade Agreement
On October 4, 2015, Obama's team negotiated the Trans-Pacific Partnership. It would have replaced NAFTA as the world's largest free-trade agreement. It would have removed tariffs between the United States and 11 other countries that border the Pacific Ocean. On January 23, 2017, Trump withdrew the United States from the agreement. The other countries are planning to continue the agreement anyway. Japan and the European Union are negotiating their own agreement.

Obama launched the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership between the United States and the European Union.

His term ended before negotiations could be finalized. It would have been bigger than the TPP. Trump has not moved forward on the TTIP.
13. International Climate Change Agreement
On December 12, 2015, Obama and 196 other countries announced the Paris Climate Agreement. Countries agreed to reduce carbon emissions and increase carbon trading. The goal is to limit global warming to 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial temperatures. Developed countries will contribute $100 billion a year to assist emerging markets. They bear the brunt of damage from climate change. They face increased typhoons, rising sea levels, and more severe droughts.

On October 5, 2016, enough countries ratified the agreement that it went into effect. At the 2016 G20 meeting, China and the United States agreed to ratify the agreement. These two countries are the world's largest emitters of greenhouse gases. On June 1, 2017, Trump announced the U.S. withdrawal from the agreement.

14. Best Job Creator
Obama is the biggest job-creating president in U.S. history. His policies put 22.309 million people to work from the depths of the recession in January 2010 to the end of his term. That's because unemployment continued to rise even after the recession ended in 2009. It takes a few months of economic growth before businesses are confident enough to begin hiring again.

Since the beginning of his term, he put 17.267 million people to work. That makes him the second best job-creator, following Bill Clinton.

Job gains would have been even better if Congress had approved Obama's proposed American Jobs Act.

Other Accomplishments
Maintained Continuation of Federal Reserve Policy - Obama appointed Federal Reserve Vice-Chair Janet Yellen to replace Ben Bernanke. She maintained an expansionary monetary policy that created the lowest interest rates in 200 years. This allowed the early stages of the housing recovery and slow but steady business expansion to continue. That's because Treasury yields affect mortgage interest rates.

Deficit Spending - The major mark against Obama is the increase in the national debt. Part of the reason for this increase was the deficit spending he used to stimulate the economy. Deficits fell in his second term. Obama's total projected deficits are $6.576 trillion.

A lot of you will not consider some of the above list as accomplishments. That is your problem, not Obama's; or mine.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:09 AM   #124
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
He bombed a hospital, lied about healthcare, and setup red lines that got people killed

I’ll stop there
You should have stopped before you started. All three of those statements are nonsense. He didn't bomb a hospital; he didn't order that a hospital be bombed. Unfortunately, due a series of mistakes a hospital did come under fire. But that was something that happened in theater as a result of decisions made by military personnel locally. But you, in your desperate and pathetic attempt to denigrate Obama, refuse to see that.

I won't even bother to comment on your last two statements.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:46 AM   #125
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Serious question for you. Who would you rather sit down and have a beer with? Tom, or hcap?

Tom has a sense of humor, hcap simply doesn't. I doubt hcap gets out of the house other than to get groceries
Funny. That's the way I think about Tom; a guy who only gets out of the house to buy a six pack and go to work. Not necessarily in that order. And just because he doesn't make jokes here, does not mean hcap has no sense of humor. That would be boxcar.

The truth is unless we have met any of our fellow posters at one of the infrequent organized get togethers such as Saratoga, we can't know what they are really like.

So, I am going to do something. I am going to start a thread-probably tomorrow. The thread will be titled "What do you do?"

What do you do to have fun? What types of organizations do you belong to?
On average, how often do you get out in a month? This could include anything from going to church services to going to a movie or a play to going to a sporting event.

I know that some will not contribute to this thread and some will mock me for starting it, and that will tell me all I need to know.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:00 AM   #126
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
On average, how often do you get out in a month? This could include anything from going to church services to going to a movie or a play to going to a sporting event.
Nobody cares...it would be a useless thread. I'll probably end up closing it immediately, so I wouldn't even bother if I were you.

The internet isn't the place one wants to get all personal anyhow. I would never answer any of those questions.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:55 AM   #127
mostpost

Quote:
Funny. That's the way I think about Tom; a guy who only gets out of the house to buy a six pack and go to work. Not necessarily in that order. And just because he doesn't make jokes here, does not mean hcap has no sense of humor. That would be boxcar.

The truth is unless we have met any of our fellow posters at one of the infrequent organized get togethers such as Saratoga, we can't know what they are really like.

So, I am going to do something. I am going to start a thread-probably tomorrow. The thread will be titled "What do you do?"

I know that some will not contribute to this thread and some will mock me for starting it, and that will tell me all I need to know.
It looks like I will not be starting that thread after all. The ugliness of prior censorship has reared its head. Its not like we could let the thread go forward and people could decide on their own whether to respond. People complain about anonymous posters. My thread would make them less anonymous. Of course I understand how that might threaten someone who has no life and spends most of their time accusing someone else of having no life.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:59 AM   #128
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Oh, you started the thread. Then you deleted it yourself.

But I undeleted it. Have at it.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:41 AM   #129
ElKabong

Quote:
You should have stopped before you started. All three of those statements are nonsense. He didn't bomb a hospital; he didn't order that a hospital be bombed. Unfortunately, due a series of mistakes a hospital did come under fire. But that was something that happened in theater as a result of decisions made by military personnel locally. .
Obama had no problem taking credit for killing bin laden, why shouldn't he get the blame for bombing a hospital?

fill in the blank.... The buck stops _____
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2018, 08:52 AM   #130
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post

fill in the blank.... The buck stops _____
...somewhere between plausible deniability and a convenient scapegoat.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply