Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Marlin

52 Hours Two Races Two Wins

Trainer John Rupert sends out Brandy's Secret Sunday at MPM to win an 1X ALW, then on Tuesday at Mtr to win a starter. Pretty rare feat nowadays.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
beefas

Brandys secret, could be on a bender..
beefas is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

A friend owned a horse - Give 'em Steel - back in the 70's.
He leased it out to some guy who took it to the Fair circuit in New England and won races on a Wednesday, Saturday, and Wednesday, from 5 furlongs to 1m16.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
1GCFAN

Is MPM supported by slots? $33 exacta pool and $8 Tri pool on the race Brandy won.
1GCFAN is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
ArlJim78

I suppose they'll give him a little time off now and run him back on Friday.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2012, 12:24 AM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Where the hell is Mt Pleasant Meadows. I don't even do figures for the track, and I do places like Boise and Grants Pass.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Where the hell is Mt Pleasant Meadows. I don't even do figures for the track, and I do places like Boise and Grants Pass.
Michigan.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
rrpic6

Mount Pleasant Meadows is about a half an hour away from Grand Rapids Michigan. Its a little bull ring in the middle of nowhere. Since Pinnacle went under, after Great Lakes Downs went under, this is all that is left. Kudos to Gerald Bennett and the Jacksons for trying to keep racing alive in Michigan. They have been shipping their better horses to Thistledown and Mountaineer this Spring, with some success.

RR
rrpic6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
onefast99

In the 70's there were a few NJ breds who raced once a week. Great to see someone try it again without the horse getting injured.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin
Pretty rare feat nowadays.
This topic has come up before, but this old timer is fed up and disgusted with the modern day practice of giving a racehorse a month or even more, time off after each race. This is part of the reason we see those five and six horse fields that none of us like, the horsemen will not enter and run, they insist that their pet is too "tired" and needs more time between races. Bunk, just take a look at a few of the champions of yesteryear and see how often they raced. Not that long ago claimers would usually race every 7 to 21 days, usually 14 or less, staying away more than 21 often meant problems.

Today, perhaps my favorite wager is still the horse coming back very soon after a sharp win, today stepping up in class. Extra credit if they come back in 7 days or less. Such things were commonplace as recently as the 70's, but rare today. There are still a very few trainers that are deadly when they bring a horse back very quickly after a sharp win for a repeat. Richard Dutrow is one that comes to mind, if his horse figures on basic handicapping when he tries this angle often a very solid play.
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
mistergee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GCFAN
Is MPM supported by slots? $33 exacta pool and $8 Tri pool on the race Brandy won.
I am sorry---I thought you were exagerating so I looked up the pools and you were right on. Ive been in placeswith smaill pools before but that is mind boggling. How do they continue?
mistergee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
saevena

Dave Feldman, in his book Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda, wrote that he saw a horse at the fairs in Ohio? that won 3 consecutive races in 3 consecutive days. He said that he had never seen anything like that in his life. Some years ago, King Leatherbury ran a horse in Maryland on a Saturday afternoon and then ran him that night at Penn National. The horse finished 3d at Penn.
saevena is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergee
I am sorry---I thought you were exagerating so I looked up the pools and you were right on. Ive been in placeswith smaill pools before but that is mind boggling. How do they continue?
What are you talking about ? At 20% rake they cleared over $5 in the exacta pool.

Amazing...........

Where is the purse money coming from ?
Old 06-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #14
QuarterCrack

Reminds me of Carlos Figueroa:

"Back in 1963, Figueroa won five races in eight days on the circuit with a horse he trained named Shannon's Hope. Figueroa said the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals came to investigate. ''I told them, 'I run Shannon's Hope short distances, six and a half furlongs, no farther,' '' he said. ''This Paul Revere, he's a hero in Massachusetts, but he ran his horse 26 miles in one night!''
QuarterCrack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #15
KidCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpic6
Mount Pleasant Meadows is about a half an hour away from Grand Rapids Michigan. Its a little bull ring in the middle of nowhere. Since Pinnacle went under, after Great Lakes Downs went under, this is all that is left. Kudos to Gerald Bennett and the Jacksons for trying to keep racing alive in Michigan. They have been shipping their better horses to Thistledown and Mountaineer this Spring, with some success.

RR
It's a 4 Furlong oval..it has to be the only track where a 4.5F race is a 2-turn event.
KidCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply