Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 04-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
melman

The Masters

Ah my favorite week of the year has arrived. "Masters Week". I know that CBS over does it with it's constant "a tradition unlike anyother" spots, but this is a GREAT event. Many years ago when I was a youngster I had the delight to get on the grounds and walk the course. Not on one of the big four day rounds but on a practice day round. I was in the Army stationed at Ft Gordon and got lucky and an invite to attend. A sight to behold and television does not really show you the hills and valleys full effect. I'll even trot out this old line, man says to his wife "honey you do not every have to worry about or think that I would have a misstress". I already have one. Have had one for years, her name is Augusta".

Will be rooting for Luke Donald and Zach Johnson. Why those two you may ask? Well both of them are "short hitters". Why I think even cj can hit one as far out of the tee box. Does not bother either of those two as they hit many great iron, chip, sand shots. Plus as always at Augusta you MUST be masterful with the putter. As long as Phil is of the tee the years he won the green jacket it was his great putting display that put him in green.

The Masters does provide great internet coverage. Masters.com. I just love amen corner.

Last edited by melman; 04-02-2012 at 09:08 AM.
melman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
JustRalph
Just another Facist

a tradition like no other. No women members.

btw, they have a problem. The new CEO of IBM is a woman. They are one of the primary sponsors. Primary sponsors are awarded automatic membership of their CEO. ...........now what?
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
a tradition like no other. No women members.

btw, they have a problem. The new CEO of IBM is a woman. They are one of the primary sponsors. Primary sponsors are awarded automatic membership of their CEO. ...........now what?
It is probably the perfect spot for them to give one woman membership and get people off their back, but will they?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
melman

JR---It is very very hard for even a male to be a member at Augusta. I have said for years I wish they would cave in and bump up a few women on the waiting list. There are times when "tradition" is not a good thing. However if you are an avid golfer being a member at Augusta is not all that important. The course is closed even to members many times during the year. If you want to get out and play a course you would be wiser to try another course. Still The Masters as a golf event is special. I like and enjoy both the US and British Opens. However both of those events bring luck to much into play IMHO. The US Open with it's rough and crazy lighting fast greens and the British Open with it's crazy weather. You can win the open just by playing a round at the right time. Augusta is a risk/reward place where great shots will get you birdies or eagles. Which brings about the famed "Masters roar". There are plenty of women patrons of Augusta but still I would like to see a few women members.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by melman
A sight to behold and television does not really show you the hills and valleys full effect. I'll even trot out this old line, man says to his wife "honey you do not every have to worry about or think that I would have a misstress". I already have one. Have had one for years, her name is Augusta".

The Masters does provide great internet coverage. Masters.com. I just love amen corner.
Yes, exactly, TV does not really give you the full appreciation of the actual layout and the challenges.

For me, both of the holes at Torrey Pines which have a very elevated tee box are another example of you have to be there, if not play them, to appreciate the reality of the challenge.

Again, I agree. The coverage on the internet of Amen Corner enhances to reputation of the event.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
JimG

I don't even golf but really enjoy watching Golf, especially the Masters. CBS and the internet always do a good job. Looking forward to it.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
DJofSD
Screw PC

The player.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
A glance at that list you've provided tells me that "The Masters" has to be the weakest field of the 4 majors each year (and every year) by quite a margin.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
melman

Greyfox---Yes that's very true and always has been. The Masters of the four majors does have the weakest field. They do this by choice. They honor the past champions like no other event. I think this is a good thing for one of the majors to do. To me it just adds to the charm of Augusta.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
ldiatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
It is probably the perfect spot for them to give one woman membership and get people off their back, but will they?
it would be a perfect spot... but the club will not. the by-lays and the board of directors will not let that happen. the PGA and other sponsers pay to much to the club for the event so the club could care less about women members. i also think the board would have to establish a membeship category for just women members.....good luck w/ that! at one club i worked women tried to get Sat morning tee times....... 1 threesome was premited to tee off at 9.30am

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #11
NJ Stinks

Awhile back I made 3 bets on this year's Masters. As it turns out, I got less than no value on two guys I picked and fair odds on Rory. I've got:

Rory McIlroy at 6-1

Geoff Ogilvy at 40-1

Graeme McDowell at 40-1

Looking forward to Thursday!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #12
delayjf

Quote:
Not on one of the big four day rounds but on a practice day round. I was in the Army stationed at Ft Gordon and got lucky and an invite to attend. A sight to behold and television does not really show you the hills and valleys full effect.
Back at ya - my Dad was stationed at Ft. Gordon and he two got tickets to the practice rounds. As a kid I still remember walking up Magnolia lane. It was like going to church. I always said, if I was God, Augusta National would be my back yard.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
DJofSD
Screw PC

The Masters could have the weakest roster of competitors but I think first and foremost the biggest challenge is the course not the other players.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
098poi

This should be a great Masters. They were talking on the Golf Channel about how sharp the top ranked players are right now. The W means won this year.

World Golf Ranking

1 Luke Donald, Eng W
2 Rory McIlroy, Nir W
3 Lee Westwood, Eng
4 Hunter Mahan, USA W(2)
5 Steve Stricker, USA W
6 Martin Kaymer, Deu
7 Tiger Woods, USA W
8 Charl Schwartzel, Zaf
9 Justin Rose, Eng W
10 Webb Simpson, USA
11 Jason Day, Aus
12 Dustin Johnson, USA
13 Adam Scott, Aus
14 Phil Mickelson, USA W
15 Graeme McDowell, Nir
16 Bubba Watson, USA
17 Bill Haas, USA W

2012 Tournament Winners
Player Event(s) won Tournament
Steve Stricker 1 Hyundai Tournament of Champions
Johnson Wagner 1 Sony Open in Hawaii
Mark Wilson 1 Humana Challenge in partnership with the Clinton Foundation
Brandt Snedeker 1 Farmers Insurance Open
Kyle Stanley 1 Waste Management Phoenix Open
Phil Mickelson 1 AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am
Bill Haas 1 Northern Trust Open
Hunter Mahan 2 World Golf Championships-Accenture Match Play Championship, Shell Houston Open
Rory McIlroy 1 The Honda Classic
Justin Rose 1 World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship
Luke Donald 1 Transitions Championship
Tiger Woods 1 Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by MasterCard
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #15
DJofSD
Screw PC

How they earned a spot in this years tournament.

http://golfweek.com/news/2012/mar/30...hey-qualified/