Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
Sericm
Veteran

OAK TREE AT DEL MAR IN 2011 AND BEYOND

In a L.A. Times article by Bill Dwyre it says that Oak Tree and Del Mar are in serious negotiations to hold the Oak Tree Meet at Del Mar in 2011 and beyond.

In my opinion this would completely destroy Oak Tree as a serious meet for Breeders Cup prep races or even holding breeders cups. Nobody likes that polycrap, Eastern stables will not come here.

To have any success Del Mar would have to revert to dirt, and with current management they probably will not do that.

Would Stronach be able to hold a competing meet?

What are your opinions!
Sericm is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2010, 03:06 AM   #2
redshift1

Why would you want competing meets when attendance is already dropping and they have trouble filling races now.

Del Mar might be a viable alternative remember not everyone dislikes polytrack.

The real issue is Stronach who interests are not aligned with the preservation of horse racing and who's decision making is counter intuitive.
redshift1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2010, 04:27 AM   #3
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift1
Why would you want competing meets when attendance is already dropping and they have trouble filling races now.

The real issue is Stronach who interests are not aligned with the preservation of horse racing and who's decision making is counter intuitive.
More trainers dislike this stuff than you think. These vocal ones who come out publicly and say, "everything is great" stick in your head so it makes you think some like it some don't. Other than Baffert, Shirreffs and Headley, i dont know that too many have come out publicly against plastic, but if you ask them behind the scenes, they hate it.

I've asked a few trainers, owners and other people inside racing what they think of this stuff and they all say its garbage. I ask them "what do you hear on the backstretch" and they all say "everyone hates it"

I would suggest to anyone who has access to 'inside' people in the So Cal game to ask around and see what type of responses you get. Ask some owners and trainers and other insiders what they think and you all can judge for yourself. I haven't heard too many positive things, if any.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
Sericm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift1

The question was would Stronach be able to hold a competing meet, not whether I would like one. Of course it would be a detriment. I just can't see him putting in Dirt and then letting the facility sit idle from mid-April to the end of December.
Sericm is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...1120930.column

Trying to make Del Mar into anything other than a summer-vacation destination for racing is a big mistake....IMO. OTOH, that's become California's specialty: Big Mistakes!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sericm
The question was would Stronach be able to hold a competing meet, not whether I would like one. Of course it would be a detriment. I just can't see him putting in Dirt and then letting the facility sit idle from mid-April to the end of December.
A competing meet? I'm sure he would try, but who would fill these races? Would each track have seven races with four horses in each race? Or is that too optimistic?
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
redshift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sericm
I don't believe he could get approval for a competing meet... my non-informed guess is his ultimate goal is a permanent BC at SA on dirt.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
andymays
Veteran

Most owners and especially Trainers don't want to have to go back down to Del Mar more than the current summer meet. It's a lot more expensive to operate for a number of reasons.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
redshift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
More trainers dislike this stuff than you think. These vocal ones who come out publicly and say, "everything is great" stick in your head so it makes you think some like it some don't. Other than Baffert, Shirreffs and Headley, i dont know that too many have come out publicly against plastic, but if you ask them behind the scenes, they hate it.

I've asked a few trainers, owners and other people inside racing what they think of this stuff and they all say its garbage. I ask them "what do you hear on the backstretch" and they all say "everyone hates it"

I would suggest to anyone who has access to 'inside' people in the So Cal game to ask around and see what type of responses you get. Ask some owners and trainers and other insiders what they think and you all can judge for yourself. I haven't heard too many positive things, if any.

Well the attendance is not so bad considering the economy so it may be more of an issue with trainers and handicapping traditionalists than the general public.