Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Horseplayers Association of North America (H.A.N.A.)

Old 08-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #31
InsideThePylons-MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P
Call me naive if you want.
Naive

Quote:
Looking back I couldn't have been more wrong.

It's crystal clear to me now that a different approach is needed.
Finally!
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #32
andymays
Veteran

No California exchange betting till 2012, bill says

http://www.drf.com/news/no-californi...2012-bill-says
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #33
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
No California exchange betting till 2012, bill says

http://www.drf.com/news/no-californi...2012-bill-says
Killing the low takeout part of the bill and saying yes to the high takeout part of the bill?

Shocking.

DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #34
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
Killing the low takeout part of the bill and saying yes to the high takeout part of the bill?

Shocking.

I started a thread about it in general racing. http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=74728

It was always going to go down this way.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #35
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays

It was always going to go down this way.
You must be kidding
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #36
Charlie D

Quote:

At some point you HAVE to consider the possibility the owner of that store no longer deserve your business.

Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #37
rwwupl

JeffP wrote:

Quote:
Looking back I couldn't have been more wrong. Not only were they aware of racing's paid for economic studies and case history from other forms of gambling - but they were purposely choosing to ignore it.
The CHRB has a history of domination by licensed horsemen,they have been in the majority for as long as I can remember. They do what they see as best for the horsemen and the racetracks and customers (gamblers)are the outsiders. I have experienced this attitude for a long time. In other words "it is their game" Their lopsided actions have caught up to them and it is time for them reap what they sow. The financial model was unsustainable before this latest ill advised takeout increase. The CHRB has not honored their mission statement to protect the betting public. They have caused most of their own problems. No other State allows a majority of horsemen on the Board for this very reason. They can not be removed by the Governor,except for certain cause.

It starts at the top, with the CHRB, we need some "Sportsmen" who do not have ties to the industry in the majority on the Board.

Jeff... You did the right thing and you did a fine job of it, but you got what many customer advocates received before you in California.. not much so far.

The trend lines will continue to go down with the latest grab for more purse money by legislative means,instead of growth by customer popularity. Racing will survive, but the racing managers will not and they will be joined by ex-CHRB members.

rwwupl
rwwupl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2010, 12:12 AM   #38
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
... I thought that by getting actively involved and giving them input they would open their eyes and start to realize racing is a customer driven business. I thought that given access to relevant information they would start making decisions based on the same criteria that successful businesses with a profit motive do... such as identifying customer needs and wants and then making an effort to satisfy those needs and wants.
Quote:

Looking back I couldn't have been more wrong. Not only were they aware of racing's paid for economic studies and case history from other forms of gambling - but they were purposely choosing to ignore it.

... At some point you HAVE to consider the possibility the owner of that store no longer deserve your business.

... And it's exactly where horseplayers find themselves right now.

... It's crystal clear to me now that a different approach is needed. ...
jp,
Two years ago, you wrote words well worth remembering regarding the lack of respect with which racing treats its customers. You articulately advocated influencing change through a collective voice with strength in numbers.

IMO we will get neither numbers nor respect until horseplayers of every stripe can come together in mutual respect and common purpose. It will take standing up for fairness and equal opportunity for economic benefit to all horseplayers as well as horsemen to unite us in sufficient numbers to actually accomplish something.

Perhaps it was also worth the wait for this skullduggery in Sacramento to present us all with the motivation necessary to succeed.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2010, 06:08 AM   #39
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Link to SB 1072 as amended yesterday:
http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bil...ed_asm_v95.pdf

-jp

Old 09-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #40
rwwupl

From Scott Lay of:

http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/bill...billstatus.php

http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/bill...billstatus.php

Quote:
Thank you for using aroundthecapitol.com to track legislative bills during the 2009-10 legislative session. I plan to bring the free bill tracking back for the 2011-12 session, and hope to have some time to improve it. The governor now has until September 30 to act on bills that are on his desk. As he is planning to go on a six-day Asian trade mission beginning September 9, most Capitol insiders believe that most bills won't be acted on until close to September 30. Unlike 2008, he has not threatened to veto bills unless a budget is adopted.

Last edited by rwwupl; 09-01-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #41
rwwupl

Suggestion:

If California players(loyalists) would convert to W-P-S(15.43%) wagering only, and forget the exotics, it would make a statement that could be seen in black and white, without any "Boycott" ,Adds or arguments and the least amount of inconvenience.They do not think we have the will or courage to do that, do we?

Racetrack "Beancounters" understand that logic and would get the message soon enough... if enough of us took a stand to be noticed.

rwwupl

By the way, DRF,Jay Hovdey has a good article on point that you might enjoy..

http://www.drf.com/news/exchange-concept-seems-foreign
excerpt:
Quote:
Quote:
For the most part, those committee meetings were undercovered by media and therefore not part of the mainstream conversation in California racing circles. The concept of legalizing betting exchanges was broached only a couple of times at the regular monthly meetings of the state racing board held this year, and then never as an agenda item for formal discussion.

And now it is law. Is this a great country or what?

Do not think for a moment the California legislature sat around, sipping espressos, just waiting for the horse racing bill to hit the floor. As is their barely functional lawmaking custom, assembly members and state senators engaged in a flurry of votes on a bottlenecked pile of bills into the wee hours Tuesday night as the clock ticked down on the legislative session.

Along with the passage of the takeout/betting exchange bill, California’s finest passed a bill raising the minimum age for admission to kindergarten to five, by Sept. 1 (I started the Big K at four years, 10 months, which certainly explains a lot). They defeated one bill that would have banned plastic bags in retail stores (some 19 billion are used by Californians each year — got a problem with that?), and another that would have banned the open toting of unloaded firearms. But at least they passed a bill that would increase penalties on paparazzi who break the rules of the road while chasing targets like Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, or any child accompanying Angelina Jolie.

Horse racing should be so lucky, that paparazzi would care. Instead, as a response to downward purse trends, the takeout on exotic wagers will increase by either 2 or 3 percent, depending upon the type of wager. Horseplayers should be rightly peeved – charging more for a bet when customer cash is tight is as nuts as cutting taxes in wartime – but at least the money goes right to purses, which might keep an owner or two in the game for a little while longer. Still, the dike will need more thumbs.

Last edited by rwwupl; 09-02-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #42
DJofSD
Screw PC

Thanks, Roger.

BTW, at the end of the excerpt from Jay, I would have said something more crude about what the legislatures could do with their thumbs.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #43
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwupl
Suggestion:

If California players(loyalists) would convert to W-P-S(15.43%) wagering only, and forget the exotics, it would make a statement that could be seen in black and white, without any "Boycott" ,Adds or arguments and the least amount of inconvenience.They do not think we have the will or courage to do that, do we?

rwwupl

This kind of argument escapes me. Why would you want to be a California loyalist when all they do is make fun of you, belittle you and snicker while they take your money? Why would you give them ANY money in ANY pool. What kind of COURAGE is that? If this issue is not enought to get HANA to become more activist and more confrontational then HANA should just packup its bags and call it quits. The time to stop being "nice" with owners' groups and racetrack owners was 2 years ago when HANA started.

And, if the people in charge at HANA think that I'm out of line, kindly delete my name from the members list.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #44
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Richard,

I agree with you 100%.

-jp

Old 09-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #45
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Richard,

I agree with you 100%.

-jp

I haven't bet offshore in quite a while but I will probably do that instead of betting into the pools.

Anybody know anything about www.allhorseracing.com or www.gohorsebetting.com

I think they're the same outfit.

8% Horse Betting Rebate
A rebate of 8% will be paid on all wagers on a daily basis. 8% Horse Rebate - It doesn't matter if you win or lose, here at Go Horse Betting we will credit you a 8% rebate on Exotics every day based on how much you wager. What are you waiting for, play today and also receive your 3% rebate for all Win, Place and show wagers; after all, there is nothing better than a sure thing!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: