Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #16
nijinski

Had him W/P very happy with that .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2011, 02:10 AM   #17
dav4463

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
It's just my personal opinion. He was 30-1 on the morning line, he had never raced on dirt before, and about the only thing he had going for him was his trainer (and a positive jockey switch).

Not something people tend to bet down in the Derby.

He also had the highest Tomlinson rating for the distance. I bet Gasper Moschera had him!

Last edited by dav4463; 05-08-2011 at 02:11 AM.
dav4463 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2011, 02:36 AM   #18
CincyHorseplayer

I've got to thank CJ.Thanks brother.For posting the pace and speed figs for the preps.I knew handicapping the race that the Spiral was going to have a hot pace.To see it and see AK's breeding line I had him with Nehro,my key horse, top and bottom,plus Arch multiple times.It was $1 box for about 6 others.The pace picture set it up for an offspeed combination.The pace figures really separated the contenders.A great combination!!If possible you'll be seeing my subscription in soon CJ

And man I hate to redboard.It really was an all hours of the day draining,handicapping affair of love this weekend and I didn't have much time between sleep to post my picks,but I was proud as hell of Get Stormy in the Turf Classic.There was no pace in that turf race at F-in all and he wired them at 7-1.Had the 9th race exacta multiple too.Clean sweep.I'm only Joe $20 bettor but hooked over a G spot!!

All of your all's input and analysis was awesome and insightful leading up to today.Let's kick this big summer season open baby!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #19
uncbossfan

Churchill Downs KY Derby 11 $50.00 WPS 16 ONLINE $150.00 $1,910.00
5/7/2011 4:54 PM Churchill Downs KY Derby 11

Midnight was my original selection but I said I could not bet him under 10-1 so I moved to AK who I had #2. Split the $1 tri with a buddy as well. All in all profited over $2,300. Makes that my best Derby score ever.
uncbossfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #20
jefftune

Had Animal Kingdom in a saver win bet. So I got 8-5 on my total Ky Derby wager.
jefftune is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #21
Plain Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinMaryland
You know I was watching the odds on Animal Kingdom and he was dropping. He was ml 30-1 and he dropped to 20-1. the only other one that I saw drop was Rosie Napravnik's on the 7, from 20-1 to 7-1 I guess; that had me worried. Nehru climbed from 6-1 to 9-1, prolly on account of the post, but had no worries about that.
MOH 30-1 ML 12-1 with about 5 minutes to post
Plain Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #22
JPinMaryland

Borel's horse came down some too, didnt it?
JPinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #23
NWCTBob

I too had Animal Kingdom and put and posted on the "View Derby Poll" post. Was just hoping for an in the money finish at nice odds which happened. I did a 3.00 ex. box the 8-15-16-19 for a nice score and Place and show for another nice score. Been following this trainer all spring and at Gulfstream and others. Mostly a turf guy, but his runners usually did pretty good no matter what surface, even when you'd never expect it. I've seen it time and again this spring often at nice prices, as I'm a mostly place and show better, looking for good odds to hit the board. After seeing the replay of the Sprial Stakes race, he was last getting pulverized from the track, looked like he was following a cloud but went around everyone and won. Then John V. gets the mount and I really confident, then JV wins the earlier race on Aikenite, and I figure he's gotta be there. I don't think the horse was even breathing hard after the race, he may go "All the Way" this year.
NWCTBob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #24
Plain Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Nice Lon! But 20-1 was too SHORT aprice if you ask me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si2see
First time since I have been a member herehave I questioned your post , but why do you think it was too short of a pricein such a wide open race?

2nd in a msw
1st in a msw
2nd in a optional claiming race
1st in a G3 defeating Decsive Moment (39-1) and TwinspiredTS (33-1)

I suppose Team Valor bet him heavy.

Brilliant Speed (28-1) won a G1 on AWS, beating TS (33-1) a nose. AAA was 13-1 with a proven record (and a crummy post) At post time I threw a deuce to win on Shackelford because I felt 23-1 was high for him. I bet Santiva across at 34-1 and would do it all over again.
Plain Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #25
pandy

Progressively faster bigs

The Derby winner had progressively faster figures so I guess guys who were smart enough to predict another forward move, which was likely in only 5th start, could have made a case for him, if you thought he could handle dirt.

However, you could have also made the same case for others in the race. Years ago you could eliminate any horse that didn't have at least one triple Beyer, but with these horses coming into the race with 4 starts, that is another Derby angle out the window.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #26
keithw84

Wasn't the will pay on the Oaks-Derby DD only 7-1 for Twice The Appeal? I think I saw that on TV and thought it was WAY too short of a price. Will be interesting to see if Borel has a big impact on odds next year.
keithw84 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #27
hugh

I put down a small win bet on AK after seeing him in the post parade....
looked REALLY beautiful...
All in all .. with get stormy.... a profitable day.
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #28
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
The Derby winner had progressively faster figures so I guess guys who were smart enough to predict another forward move, which was likely in only 5th start, could have made a case for him, if you thought he could handle dirt.

However, you could have also made the same case for others in the race. Years ago you could eliminate any horse that didn't have at least one triple Beyer, but with these horses coming into the race with 4 starts, that is another Derby angle out the window.
I posted my pick of Animal Kingdom before the race, and that the bolded text from Pandy basically explains how I landed on AK. Improving numbers, a running style that might be okay with the added distance, and a field that had many similar horses. I ruled out a half dozen, and then I mapped out how I though the race would unfold... (I actually draw it on a piece of paper - draw the oval track, and then plot the horses where I see them at the 1/4, 1/2 etc). Thought AK may be in the best position with 3-4 furlongs to go to get a good run at them. I'm glad it worked this time....
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2011, 02:46 AM   #29
dav4463

I liked him in the post parade too. Problem was I liked 17 of them!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #30
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I have the feeling that in the years to come he will be the most redboarded Derby winner since Giacomo. Still can't believe he was 50-1 since everybody had him.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply