Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-24-2016, 09:22 AM   #1
PIC6SIX

Question SENIOR CITIZEN BURNOUT

Any of you over 60 and 70 years of age feel they suffer from handicapping burnout having done this for near to 40 years? Like your enthusiastic zeal for the game has waned over time and your handicapping process has become more of a chore than a hobby to be enjoyed. Just some comments from the aged ones on this board is appreciated. Thanks
PIC6SIX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #2
Fred

Maybe not suffer but certainly frustrated because of where the industry is today. As discussed on this board many times weekday racing is boring and for me a waste of time. I only enjoy looking at Sat/Sun/Holiday/Major Stakes days to play.
I wll be 69 this Nov.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #3
foul

That is me exactly. I was commenting yesterday to some of my horseracing buddies how I use to enjoy the process but it seemed like more of chore now. But there is a cure.... SARATOGA...... I will be there August 3-5 and all will be like old times.
foul is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #4
biggestal99

Well I am 59 and one half. Never been a better time to be a horse player than today. I am a jersey x player. I still enjoy the handicapping process, watching races and attending the track. It's the greatest sport known to man.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99
Well I am 59 and one half. Never been a better time to be a horse player than today. I am a jersey x player. I still enjoy the handicapping process, watching races and attending the track. It's the greatest sport known to man.

Allan
Oh ps--I also am going to the spa next weekend. The big red spring cures what ails ya.
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 10:05 AM   #6
jk3521
Registered Loser

I always dreamed of being retired and having all the time in the world to just relax and handicap and bet the horses with no other cares in the world like my job , especially. I would always seem to miss a good payday at the track because of my job !

With the state of racing today , I look at the entries each day and say why bother. I still love to watch the races, but don't have as much desire to bet on them. Now I only look for certain situations to place a larger bet and mainly just play around with dollar exotic bets.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 11:31 AM   #7
Not4Love
not4love

burnt out

Because i can't win (anymore). First horse i ever claimed was at the SPA. Would never take the risk now.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:42 AM   #8
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
Maybe not suffer but certainly frustrated because of where the industry is today. As discussed on this board many times weekday racing is boring and for me a waste of time. I only enjoy looking at Sat/Sun/Holiday/Major Stakes days to play.
I wll be 69 this Nov.
I feel exactly the same way .69 in Sept.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #9
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by foul
That is me exactly. I was commenting yesterday to some of my horseracing buddies how I use to enjoy the process but it seemed like more of chore now. But there is a cure.... SARATOGA...... I will be there August 3-5 and all will be like old times.
I find Saratoga to be the biggest grind of them all. The six day a week schedule keeps any serious player VERY busy for the entire meet.
By week 3 or 4 I always find myself needing a break.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:53 PM   #10
tophatmert

Today at Saratoga I will bet the five in the first Branded Hand and maybe Sweet Nikosi later in the day. I am going to play golf like I like to do. I really require a reason to engage in a full day of racing now. If there are not several plays that I like I won't invest the time. I can come out even betting 400,000 a year or I can come out even betting 150,000 a year. I bet 330,000 a couple of years ago and won 3.Every year I bet a little less and pay a little less attention and I think I am happier for it . Well, off to Branded Hand and then to golf in 95 degrees and humid .
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #11
illinoisbred

I'm 60 and after 33 years of playing Hawthorne and Arlington year in and out I suffered somewhat from burnout. I detested the poly...could never really adapt to it. Became disgusted with the decline in racing quality and AP's ever shrinking fields. Began preparations for a wagering move to SoCal racing a year before I left the Illinois product. Experienced a fairly smooth transition and my interest rejuvenated. Not that all is great in SoCal...June at Santa Anita this year was reminiscent of Arlington with the pithy fields.
illinoisbred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 01:14 PM   #12
tophatmert

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisbred
I'm 60 and after 33 years of playing Hawthorne and Arlington year in and out I suffered somewhat from burnout. I detested the poly...could never really adapt to it. Became disgusted with the decline in racing quality and AP's ever shrinking fields. Began preparations for a wagering move to SoCal racing a year before I left the Illinois product. Experienced a fairly smooth transition and my interest rejuvenated. Not that all is great in SoCal...June at Santa Anita this year was reminiscent of Arlington with the pithy fields.
The AP product is awful. The fall HAW is better. I rarely go live anymore even though I'm 30 minutes from AP. The VIP room is filled with guys lookin for a free Danish and some signing work. Some friends went Friday to AP and I was going to go but the card was awful so I golfed. Saturday I provided passes for A Pace Advantage group and still could not get motivated enough over the card to go. The live experience in the time period you were in Illinois was pretty vibrant and I loved every moment of being there.
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #13
illinoisbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophatmert
The AP product is awful. The fall HAW is better. I rarely go live anymore even though I'm 30 minutes from AP. The VIP room is filled with guys lookin for a free Danish and some signing work. Some friends went Friday to AP and I was going to go but the card was awful so I golfed. Saturday I provided passes for A Pace Advantage group and still could not get motivated enough over the card to go. The live experience in the time period you were in Illinois was pretty vibrant and I loved every moment of being there.
I'm still in Illinois...approx. 25 minutes northwest of Arlington. I just changed where I submit my wagering dollars. But you're right,SoCal today is very much like Arlington was up until the early 90's. The racing meant something and had an impact on the national stage.
illinoisbred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 02:15 PM   #14
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99
I am a jersey x player
What is Jersey X?
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 03:35 PM   #15
magwell

I still love the game, look forward to a fresh form 5 days a week or 6 like now with Saratoga, I've been hooked on the game probably longer then most, even with the way it has evolved, I still love seeing the horses up close and the challenges of betting on them......