Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 07-16-2016, 04:14 PM   #1
Overlay

Nate Thurmond

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/...Zu1?li=BBnb7Kz

6'11" Nate Thurmond, previously named (in 1996) as one of the fifty greatest players in NBA history, has died of leukemia at age 74.

He was the third overall pick (by the (then) San Francisco Warriors) in the 1963 NBA draft out of Bowling Green. After playing behind Wilt Chamberlain in his rookie season, he moved to the starting lineup the next year when Chamberlain was traded to Philadelphia after the Warriors (who had lost to the Celtics in the NBA finals in Thurmond's rookie year) opened the season 11-33.

As a starter that season, Thurmond set an NBA record for rebounds in a quarter (18) in a game against the (then) Baltimore Bullets. He and Rick Barry led San Francisco back to the NBA finals in 1967 (Thurmond's last appearance there), but they lost again, this time to Chamberlain and the '76ers, in six games.

He was traded to Chicago in 1974, where he recorded the first quadruple double in NBA history, with 22 points, 14 rebounds, 13 assists, and 12 blocked shots in a game against Atlanta. He was traded to Cleveland during the 1975-1976 season, and was there until his retirement after the 1976-1977 season.
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2016, 08:08 PM   #2
Shemp Howard
Refugee from Bowie

I first saw Nate Thurmond play in the Palestra in Philadelphia over 50 years ago. Bowling Green was a top ranked team and St. Joe's beat them with the last shot. Butch Komives was the scorer and Nate the rebounder

If there was/is a better defensive center, send me the tapes. He was the only center ever, school yard, high school, college or pro, to ever hold Wilt Chamberlain scoreless in a game.
Shemp Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2016, 08:30 PM   #3
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
If there was/is a better defensive center, send me the tapes. He was the only center ever, school yard, high school, college or pro, to ever hold Wilt Chamberlain scoreless in a game.

I cannot find a reference for any game in which Chamberlain went without scoring.

Do you have a link to that?

Dave

Edited: I found it. http://espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4034877

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 07-16-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2016, 06:17 AM   #4
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemp Howard
I first saw Nate Thurmond play in the Palestra in Philadelphia over 50 years ago. Bowling Green was a top ranked team and St. Joe's beat them with the last shot. Butch Komives was the scorer and Nate the rebounder...
The late Jim Boyle hit that game winner, getting an assist from Jim Lynam. Bowling Green was No. 1 in the country at the time.

Both Boyle and Lynam later became St. Joseph's head coaches, with the Lynam the head coach when St. Joe's upset No. 1 DePaul in the 1981 NCAAs on a layup with 3 seconds left in the game.

Nate Thurmond, RIP.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
Shemp Howard
Refugee from Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless
The late Jim Boyle hit that game winner, getting an assist from Jim Lynam. Bowling Green was No. 1 in the country at the time.

Both Boyle and Lynam later became St. Joseph's head coaches, with the Lynam the head coach when St. Joe's upset No. 1 DePaul in the 1981 NCAAs on a layup with 3 seconds left in the game.

Nate Thurmond, RIP.

More like a tip-in than a shot, as I recall. Ball spun around the rim before falling in. Then pandemonium broke loose.
Shemp Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2016, 09:11 AM   #6
forced89

Quote:
I first saw Nate Thurmond play in the Palestra in Philadelphia over 50 years ago. Bowling Green was a top ranked team and St. Joe's beat them with the last shot. Butch Komives was the scorer and Nate the rebounder.
I was at the game too. As a kid I used to sit in the nosebleed seats at both the Palestra and the old Convention Hall. In truth, there really wasn't a bad seat at the Palestra. It was a great place to watch a game.

The Palestra was also where I saw Maurice Stokes for the first time. First time I ever saw Wilt was as a high school kid playing against the pros at the Narberth Playground (outdoor) Summer League.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #7
lansdale

Great player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlay
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/...Zu1?li=BBnb7Kz

6'11" Nate Thurmond, previously named (in 1996) as one of the fifty greatest players in NBA history, has died of leukemia at age 74.

He was the third overall pick (by the (then) San Francisco Warriors) in the 1963 NBA draft out of Bowling Green. After playing behind Wilt Chamberlain in his rookie season, he moved to the starting lineup the next year when Chamberlain was traded to Philadelphia after the Warriors (who had lost to the Celtics in the NBA finals in Thurmond's rookie year) opened the season 11-33.

As a starter that season, Thurmond set an NBA record for rebounds in a quarter (18) in a game against the (then) Baltimore Bullets. He and Rick Barry led San Francisco back to the NBA finals in 1967 (Thurmond's last appearance there), but they lost again, this time to Chamberlain and the '76ers, in six games.

He was traded to Chicago in 1974, where he recorded the first quadruple double in NBA history, with 22 points, 14 rebounds, 13 assists, and 12 blocked shots in a game against Atlanta. He was traded to Cleveland during the 1975-1976 season, and was there until his retirement after the 1976-1977 season.
Thanks for posting. One of the great big men of that era, too often overshadowed in memory by Wilt/Russell/Kareem. Very clearly remember see him play live against the Knicks as a kid. That team with himself, Barry, and Al Attles was a force to be reckoned with. Tremendous defender -- don't know who you could compare his game with in recent years - maybe Mutombo -- 15 ppg., 15 rbpg.. As one poster mentioned, very tough on Wilt -- BTW, that one game wasn't quite scoreless, as the ESPN piece claims, Wilt had one point -- a free throw. Wilt was actually a good friend of his, and taught him a great deal about NBA big-man skills. Despite his relentless shot-blocking and D, Thurmond was a very mild-mannered guy, and his coaches would often try to get him to be more meaner -- more agressive. I think Olajuwon and the recently retired Tim Duncan eventually demonstrated that an agressive attitude has nothing to do with skillful, winning frontcourt play. RIP Nate.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #8
lansdale

Quote:
More like a tip-in than a shot, as I recall. Ball spun around the rim before falling in. Then pandemonium broke loose.
Here its -- like you said. Worthing remembering that the winning shot came off a backdoor play called by the great Dr. Jack Ramsay. When you read what he said to his team in crunch time, you get some idea of why he's a legend.

Nostalgic morning -- Howard 'Butch' Komives playing for the Knicks in the first NBA game I ever saw.

DECEMBER 26, 1962

St. Joe's 58, Bowling Green 57

Jim Boyle remembers riding to the Palestra that night with Steve Courtin, a sophomore guard nicknamed "the Woodlyn Weaver."

"I'm going to be the Most Valuable Player in this (Quaker City) tournament," Courtin said.

"Sure, Steve," Boyle replied.

A joke, Boyle thought. Who predicts an MVP award before a tournament opener? Especially when the first opponent is unbeaten and No. 1-ranked Bowling Green.

The visitors had 6-11 Nate Thurmond in the middle and Butch Komives in the backcourt. Coach Jack Ramsay put 6-8 Larry Hofmann on Thurmond and hoped for the best. It shaped up as a giant mismatch.

"We had to play a perfect game to win," Ramsay recalled. "The thing was, our kids really believed they could do it."

Boyle, a 6-4 forward, started despite a knee injury he sustained in the Hawks' previous game, a triple-overtime loss to Penn.

"The adrenaline was unbelievable that night," Boyle said. "I looked at Thurmond and he was scary. But the atmosphere in the building was so charged . . . we felt like we had a shot at these guys.

"They'd get up a few points, we'd cut it down. They'd get up, we'd come back. We were right there the whole time. The Weaver was hitting everything he threw up (Courtin shot 9-for-16). I remembered what he said in the car.

"I thought, 'This is just crazy enough to come true.' "

For all their gallantry, it appeared the Hawks were beaten as they trailed, 57-56, with four seconds left. Bowling Green had possession with a timeout called.

"Someone on our bench was crying," Boyle said. "Jack said, 'What's the matter?' The player said, 'We're going to lose.' Jack said, 'We're not gonna lose. We're gonna steal the inbounds pass and win this thing.' "

That's just what happened. Bowling Green's Junior Wavey threw the ball into the hands of St. Joseph's Tom Wynne, who called time.

Ramsay called for a backdoor play with Boyle in the high post feeding Jim Lynam, his old West Catholic teammate, in the corner. Thurmond dove across to

put his massive hand in Lynam's face.

"He blocked out everything," said Lynam, now an assistant coach with the Sixers, "but I knew Jim (Boyle) had to be open if Nate was on me."

Lynam's shovel pass found Boyle alone at the foul line. Of course, the clock was ticking all the while. It was down to two seconds when Boyle got the ball, then one . . .

"I remember Jim turning the ball to get the laces just right," Lynam said. "I'm thinking, 'Shoot the darn thing, Bo.' It seemed like he held the ball forever."

"It was like holding a live grenade," Boyle said. "It's a question of how long before it goes off. I knew it was a matter of seconds but I wanted to get off the best possible shot. I mean, this was the ballgame.

"It's funny. How many times when you're a kid do you play that game in the schoolyard, imagining you have that (final) shot? And it's always the jumper

from the line. All of a sudden, there it was for real."

Boyle had struggled all night, hitting just two of nine previous field goal attempts. He didn't hit this one cleanly either.

The ball caught the front of the rim, bounced off the back, then rolled around the hoop as the buzzer sounded. Finally, it dropped through.

What does Boyle remember next?

"A mob scene, craziness," said Boyle, now the St. Joseph's coach. "Jack took off all his clothes and laid down on the Hawk (mascot) costume in the shower. He was completely shot, wrung out.

"I couldn't understand it then, but I do now. That's what coaching does to you."

The Hawks went on to win the tournament, defeating Villanova and Brigham Young. The MVP? Steve Courtin.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2016, 10:14 AM   #9
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
In the NBA of old, you couldn't be a competitive team unless you had a big man who could rebound and defend.These days, that seems to be a liability, or at least not that important.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

He was a little before my time but I had his basketball cards and obviously knew he was very good looking at the back. There was no Basketball Reference site back in the day!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2016, 06:10 PM   #11
highnote

There is a terrific book written by my friend Dave Hunter that mentions Nate Thurmond. It's called "Love Those Quakers" published by Eagle Books.

http://www.eaglebooks.com/bookstore/...C--Hunter.html

Dave's high school team, the Salem Quakers, had to play Nate Thurmond's Akron team in the state regional playoffs.

The book is a David and Goliath story -- reminiscent of "Hoosiers".

If anyone is interested in high school basketball in the late 1950's this book will shine some light on that era.

Dave went on to William and Mary College and was an outstanding point guard in basketball and a tennis player -- back in the days when you could play two sports in college.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2016, 09:37 PM   #12
TexasDolly

What a nice thread , I'm not sure why but as I read it ,it made me feel good. Friendly,complimentary and good stories I guess.
Thanks everyone,
TD
TexasDolly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #13
Robert Fischer
clean money

Thurmond has kind of a very rough comparison to Dwight Howard in my head.

Both are impressive big men, Both rebounded and blocked shots, Both maybe a notch below the very elite big men of their eras.

Not a perfect comparison, but close enough for me

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 07-18-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2016, 06:24 PM   #14
mostpost

Fourteen years in the NBA and forty eight years as a United States Senator from South Carolina. That Thurmond was quite a guy!!
Old 07-18-2016, 06:36 PM   #15
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
Fourteen years in the NBA and forty eight years as a United States Senator from South Carolina. That Thurmond was quite a guy!!
Maybe Nate IS his son;we know Strom as a young buck liked to fool around with the young Negresses in his family's employ.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/05/us/sou...-daughter-obit
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: