Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-24-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
Magister Ludi

PaceAdvantage Subforums Analysis

Today I calculated the number of posts per thread on this forums subforums. Here are the results:

Subforum.................................................. ...........Posts/Thread

Handicapper's Corner.................................................. ..50
Off Topic - Poker.................................................. ...........32
Off Topic - General.................................................. .......21
Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets........................19
Horseplayers Association of North America (H.A.N.A.)....18
General Racing Discussion..............................................18
General Handicapping Discussion...................................17
Off Topic - Sports.................................................. .........16
Handicapping Software.................................................. 16
Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW)..................................15
Handicapping Library.................................................. ...14
Off Topic - Computers.................................................. ....9
Selections.................................................. ......................9
Harness Racing.................................................. ..............7
Off-Site Handicapping Contests.........................................5

It would seem to me that a relatively high number of posts per thread would indicate a high level of interest in that subforum. Though "Handicapper’s Corner" has a relatively low number of threads, it has the highest number of posts per thread. OT – Poker is a strong #2.

For those of you who are always clamoring for “picks”, there is a subforum entitled “Selections”. Not very many people seem to care unless the keyword “Longshot(s)” is in the thread title. When that happens, posts skyrocket to the stratosphere. (The favorite-longshot bias and risk-loving is alive and well).
Magister Ludi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
Grits

You really have a lot of time on your hands.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

And here I would have bet the Religious thread in off-topic general would have skewed the posts-per-thread analysis off the charts...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2015, 03:19 PM   #4
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magister Ludi
Today I calculated the number of posts per thread on this forums subforums. Here are the results:

Subforum.................................................. ...........Posts/Thread

Handicapper's Corner.................................................. ..50
Off Topic - Poker.................................................. ...........32
Horseplayers Association of North America (H.A.N.A.)....18
General Racing Discussion..............................................18
General Handicapping Discussion...................................17
Off Topic - Sports.................................................. .........16
Handicapping Software.................................................. 16
Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW)..................................15
Handicapping Library.................................................. ...14
Off Topic - Computers.................................................. ....9
Selections.................................................. ......................9
Harness Racing.................................................. ..............7
Off-Site Handicapping Contests.........................................5

It would seem to me that a relatively high number of posts per thread would indicate a high level of interest in that subforum. Though "Handicapper’s Corner" has a relatively low number of threads, it has the highest number of posts per thread. OT – Poker is a strong #2.

For those of you who are always clamoring for “picks”, there is a subforum entitled “Selections”. Not very many people seem to care unless the keyword “Longshot(s)” is in the thread title. When that happens, posts skyrocket to the stratosphere. (The favorite-longshot bias and risk-loving is alive and well).
The poker forum's high ranking shows the flaw in using posts-per-thread as a meaningful measuring stick. That forum as a whole rarely generates any interest at all.

Last edited by thaskalos; 03-24-2015 at 03:21 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #5
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
The poker forum's high ranking shows the flaw in using posts-per-thread as a meaningful measuring stick. That forum as a whole rarely generates any interest at all.
There is a flaw somewhere.
There is no way Poker draws anywhere near the responses that the Off Topic Religious and various political threads draw.

Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
There is a flaw somewhere.
There is no way Poker draws anywhere near the responses that the Off Topic Religious and various political threads draw.

Average responses vs. total responses. When Bill Gates walks into a bar the average income of everyone having a drink there is over $1 million.

It can be both true and meaningless to an individual's actual income at the same time.

OT religious an 800 lb gorilla within general where it adds to the average response count along with a lot that get none to single digit responses.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2015, 04:58 PM   #7
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______
Average responses vs. total responses. When Bill Gates walks into a bar the average income of everyone having a drink there is over $1 million.

It can be both true and meaningless to an individual's actual income at the same time.

OT religious an 800 lb gorilla within general where it adds to the average response count along with a lot that get none to single digit responses.
There must be a lot of low responses in General OT to counterbalance Religious and have it show a lower average than Poker.
Today, Religious has over 18,000 +.
Then there is the Obama Collapsing Thread, various Health Care Threads, Benghazi and so on.
They have to be countered balanced downward too.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2015, 04:59 PM   #8
DeltaLover

What exactly is the purpose of this thread?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #9
098poi

I think you should get everyone to send you their height, weight and waist size and you can calculate who can get to the fridge most quickly before returning to the computer.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2015, 11:46 PM   #10
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magister Ludi
... For those of you who are always clamoring for “picks”, there is a subforum entitled “Selections”. Not very many people seem to care unless the keyword “Longshot(s)” is in the thread title. When that happens, posts skyrocket to the stratosphere. (The favorite-longshot bias and risk-loving is alive and well).
I'm also in the camp wondering the purpose of your post. But, I've seen the selection threads with "Longshot(s)" in the thread title and as I recall they're originated by a member whose handle I believe is Chris Longshot or something similar. And, he encourages others to participate which probably accounts for the number of posts in the thread. I don't think he posts or emphasizes long shot selections.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2015, 12:10 AM   #11
Dave Schwartz

LOL - IT was inevitable... a thread about threads.

Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2015, 01:05 AM   #12
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Since everything on PA is a thread, threads are not off topic, are they? So do we need an on-topic subforum for threads about threads?
Old 03-25-2015, 04:45 AM   #13
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike
I'm also in the camp wondering the purpose of your post. But, I've seen the selection threads with "Longshot(s)" in the thread title and as I recall they're originated by a member whose handle I believe is Chris Longshot or something similar. And, he encourages others to participate which probably accounts for the number of posts in the thread. I don't think he posts or emphasizes long shot selections.
A lot of his selections are definitely not low priced favorites. A decent no of his picks come home 1st or 2nd at good prices.

OP had a hunch, ran an analysis and then posted the results and is seeking comments. That would be the purpose.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2015, 08:46 AM   #14
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz

It's Seinfeld-ian.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #15
HUSKER55

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: