Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

View Poll Results: How do you feel about gun control laws?
Current laws infringe on our rights and should be weakened 21 17.80%
Current laws are just fine, thanks. We don't need anything more 28 23.73%
Current laws are not satisfactory, there are "common sense" adjustments that should be made 69 58.47%
Voters: 118. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #706
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
They will get it perfected. It will be easy to figure out once the shooting starts.
I'm sure they can be made to a reasonable amount of safety but stuff like ambient temperature and things like that will play a huge role in that.

Even steel barrels toss rounds differently depending on temperature and we know how brittle plastic can behave in subfreezing conditions.

It's still pretty neat though.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM   #707
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Evidently he's implying that they don't work?

Maybe he'll elaborate.

It will kind of work, ONCE. Currently even the 3D printer capable of printing with powdered metal produces an item incapable of tolerating any measurable stress. A bullet is actually larger than the gun barrel, when fired the bullet expands into the voids left by the rifling so it can pass through. A 3D printed barrel would not tolerate that stress and either fly apart or peel away like a peeled banana. The barrel coming apart will send a low velocity bullet that could go anywhere. The safest place to stand around someone shooting a 3D printed gun would probably be a few feet directly in front of it.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 07-27-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:21 AM   #708
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
It will kind of work, ONCE. Currently even the 3D printer capable of printing with powdered metal produces an item incapable of tolerating any measurable stress. A bullet is actually larger than the gun barrel, when fired the bullet expands into the voids left by the rifling so it can pass through. A 3D printed barrel would not tolerate that stress and either fly apart or peel away like a peeled banana. The barrel coming apart will send a low velocity bullet that could go anywhere. The safest place to stand around someone shooting a 3D printed gun would probably be a few feet directly in front of it.
I appreciate your knowledge on the topic.

But as Ralph says, probably sooner than later they'll see advances in functionality.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #709
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Quote:
I appreciate your knowledge on the topic.

But as Ralph says, probably sooner than later they'll see advances in functionality.

Then do me a favor and tell people to stop spreading misleading information about guns.

As for advances, I am sure there will be some, although the process will always have limitations, due to the physics of metallurgy. What you have is a method that isn't even as strong as casting. Anyone with even a simple knowledge of tools knows a forged tool is stronger that a cast one and one machined from solid (How they make real modern guns) is stronger than that.
I think the limitation for 3D printing a gun barrel that could be somewhat durable would be one for a shotgun or a muzzle loader (where the bullet will roll down the barrel).
Old 07-27-2018, 12:04 PM   #710
Clocker

Quote:
I think the limitation for 3D printing a gun barrel that could be somewhat durable would be one for a shotgun or a muzzle loader (where the bullet will roll down the barrel).

Which still leaves you with metallic cartridges and bullets that will set off a metal detector.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #711
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Which still leaves you with metallic cartridges and bullets that will set off a metal detector.

The 3D printed gun I was referring to is the powdered metal version. I don't think the 3D printed plastic version would ever even be suitable for a musket or shotgun. Even if you could use an expensive high strength heat tolerant plastic like peek I am sure the heat of the muzzle blast would far exceed the rating of the plastic. All plastics I have machined and there are too many to list expand and contract quite a bit just from a variance of 50 degrees. I would hate to see what the heat variation from a muzzle blast would do. Best case scenario the barrel leaves with the bullet or just catches on fire.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 07-27-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:54 PM   #712
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
I really don't know. But I do know it's not a good idea to let people have access to unregistered, untraceable, and undetectable firearms.

Right?
Depends on the people.
Just having access to them doesn NOT make them potential mass shooters.

Who ya gonna call?
Technology just opened a door you can't close.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #713
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
I'm wasting no more money on my 3-D printer then.
I've heard you can 3D print CHOCOLATE!
Old 07-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #714
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
I'm sure they can be made to a reasonable amount of safety but stuff like ambient temperature and things like that will play a huge role in that.

Even steel barrels toss rounds differently depending on temperature and we know how brittle plastic can behave in subfreezing conditions.

It's still pretty neat though.
OK, then, instead of gun-free zones, we will establish HEAT FREE zones.
Crank up the AC in public places and we will be cool!
Old 07-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #715
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Why not plastic bullets?
Old 07-27-2018, 02:34 PM   #716
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Why not plastic bullets?
Inners post summed up the actual issues of a plastic gun with the heat and pressures apply to the bullets as well.

Plastic is a terrible at transferring energy as well. It doesn't have the density.

These 3d guns are cool but in terms of practicality... not so much.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:19 PM   #717
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

For now......
Old 07-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #718
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
For now......
I'm sure advances could be made but plastic just isn't that dense. It's good at absorbing energy not transferring.

Why bullets are made out of metal/lead and body armor is made out of plastic.

Anything's possible but super expensive and labor intensive bullets doesn't make a buncha sense for a CTRL-P gun.

I would think some subsonic rounds would be a requirement for a plastic gun.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 07-27-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #719
elysiantraveller

I guess you could use something like ceramic barrel sleeves but cost would be massive and when they went it would be catastrophic.

The plastic bullet thing though is highlighted by airsoft guns. They shoot roughly the same size as your Red Rider BB gun. The airsoft bullet weighs .2gr and the Red Rider about 4.25gr. Both travel at close to the same speed... airsoft is actually about 20-30% faster.

Now go shoot yourself with both and see what happens....

^^^ Just kidding... don't do that.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:15 PM   #720
hcap

Quote:
I hold 2 US patents. I can tell you sometimes the way around "limitations" is to think differently. Without thoroughly investigating the patent art, the first thing that comes to mind is to accept tradeoffs in the standard performance of the usual.

Tom is right.

Re-design the bullets out of a softer material. Plastics. Tensile strength is the issue in the barrel, but to get a lump of poly carbonate or similar to spin at relatively high velocity, seems like the simpler problem.

So Dan is correct. Will still maim and kill, but not to perfection. Will be more undetectable, and perhaps easier to produce.

.314 Atlas A softer metal. Mmachined from 1018 cold rolled steel.(low carbon steel)

https://mikescustomweaponry.wordpres.../05/314-atlas/

https://gizmodo.com/plastic-3d-print...wor-1654929202

Last edited by hcap; 07-27-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: