Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #1
chiguy

Breeders Cup

Is this year shaping up to be less than a stellar year for the BC or am I missing something? I have to admit I don't keep up with racing as much as most of the folks here but I just don't feel the buzz.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2018, 06:08 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

After this past weekend, which horse is there to really be excited about? I'd go with maybe the 2yo winners at Santa Anita and the 2yo turf filly at Belmont, not much outside of that.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #3
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
Is this year shaping up to be less than a stellar year for the BC or am I missing something? I have to admit I don't keep up with racing as much as most of the folks here but I just don't feel the buzz.
What was shaping up to be a great rendition of the Distaff has completely come undone.

Unique Bella retired. Elate injured. Abel Tasman flopped in her last. Monomoy Girl win streak snapped.

California, despite all the hype on several maiden winners during the summer, has produced the requisite dominant juveniles (Game Winner, Bellafina). Not sure if the East will produce counterparts.

The NA American turf divisions have been ho-hum all year.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
What was shaping up to be a great rendition of the Distaff has completely come undone.

Unique Bella retired. Elate injured. Abel Tasman flopped in her last. Monomoy Girl win streak snapped.

California, despite all the hype on several maiden winners during the summer, has produced the requisite dominant juveniles (Game Winner, Bellafina). Not sure if the East will produce counterparts.

The NA American turf divisions have been ho-hum all year.
Another note on the Distaff.
Monomoy Girl looked like her fine year may be catching up with her in her last.
Never a good sign to see a horse veering out like that.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I like the new format - not a thing on Friday I give a crap about. I can kick back with a Form and 6 pack and enjoy the afternoon.
Not that there is anything on Saturday worth getting excited about.

BC has run its course. Kills far more races than provides good ones.
It was hard watching the JCGC - after so many grat renewals, that crap fest~!

Last edited by Tom; 10-01-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

I wonder if these conditions will lead to a chalkfest as well...the only consolation might be more longshots winning but maybe that won't happen either.

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 10-01-2018 at 07:45 PM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2018, 08:19 PM   #7
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
the Euro B team should be able to fill all the tri spots in the turf
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2018, 08:20 PM   #8
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post
I hope she makes it to the gate
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2018, 08:50 PM   #9
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
the 2yo turf filly at Belmont, not much outside of that.
Newspaperofrecord seemed too headstrong early for my liking in the Miss Grillo (didn't see her debut--maybe she was better settled there). The Glen Hill filly Summering seems more professional (though appears to dislike the whip) in terms of running style.

I'd also give another chance to Miss Technicality, who romped in her first two starts, but was bobbling early in the Miss Grillo then was parked way wide when making an eye-catching move around the far turn...
Old 10-01-2018, 09:07 PM   #10
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post
Monomoy Girl was also getting out in the Kentucky Oaks earlier in the year, but in general, as you say, its never a good sign. She also tends to run with her head up--another sign of discomfort.

I finally watched the Cotillion for the first time and am quite flabbergasted that Monomoy Girl was DQ'd for shifting in while clear of Midnight Bisou, but survived the inquiry in the Kentucky Oaks where she made contact with Wonder Gadot multiple times and knocked her off stride for good measure.

All that aside, in addition to the Cotillion, I watched Monomoy Girl's NY races (and the Miss Grillo and Jockey Club Gold Cup) and I have to say never has there been a more shrill, forced, hyperbolic, and error-prone race caller than Larry Colmus.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:24 PM   #11
linrom1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
.....and I have to say never has there been a more shrill, forced, hyperbolic, and error-prone race caller than Larry Colmus.

I can't stand him! What a phony, theatrical major this caller is! I have to turn down the audio each time I hear a replay of NYRA stake races.

Can NYRA fire this guy...it's bad enough they card like 10, five-horse-field races each day, one has to listen to this screeching idiot. Hi Larry!

Is John Lies or Kurt Becker available? I would settle for Vic.

Last edited by linrom1; 10-01-2018 at 09:36 PM.
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2018, 09:37 PM   #12
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrom1 View Post
I can't stand him! What a phony, theatrical major this caller is! I have to turn down the audio each time I hear a replay of NYRA stake races.

Can NYRA fire this guy...it's bad enough they card like 10, five-horse-field races each day, one has to listen to this screeching idiot. Hi Larry!

Is John Lies or Kurt Becker available? I would settle for Vic.
This may be the highest compliment ever paid to Larry ( John Lies and Kurt Becker on the other hand deserve better ) as you are on the wrong side of everything.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2018, 10:00 PM   #13
Mailman

I have liked Larry going back to his Suffolk days, got a laugh when he said
on the backstrech that " Gronkowski had a wall of blockers in front of him" in the JCGC.!
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2018, 12:11 AM   #14
GMB@BP

This years Breeders Cup is headed to be one of the best ever, in terms of wide open races.

There are very few dominant favorites. Even a horse like Bellafina and Game Winner hardly feel dominant talents.

Should be a fun betting day. Not all that great for crowning champions but being honest the event has lost a lot the past decade.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #15
spiketoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
This years Breeders Cup is headed to be one of the best ever, in terms of wide open races.

There are very few dominant favorites. Even a horse like Bellafina and Game Winner hardly feel dominant talents.

Should be a fun betting day. Not all that great for crowning champions but being honest the event has lost a lot the past decade.
THIS is what makes it a stellar BC for a gambler.
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: