Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
stu

Bridgejumper Alert - Twitter Service

Y'all,

I have just created 'Bridgejumper Alert' Twitter Service. This will be a free community.

The @bridgejumper Twitter account can be followed at http://twitter.com/bridgejumper.

In order to prevent spam tweets, I have made the account protected. You will have to request of me approval to follow @bridgejumper. At least once a day I will check the queue of approvals. I will approve every request. Spam tweets and/or tweets unrelated bridgejumping alerts will recieve a warning message. Accounts will receive 2 warnings and be blocked on the third offense.

The @bridgejumper Twitter account has been configured as a group tweet. Members who are following @bridgejumper can broadcast a message to the whole group by sending a direct message to the group's Twitter account.

For this to work well to compete against the bridgejumpers, followers will have to be active - the price of being free. If the followers are passive, this will not work. The philosophy will be like a 'neighborhood watch.'

Bridgejumper Alert Process:

1. Identify a bridgejumper opportunity
2. Login to Twitter
3. Send a Direct message to @bridgejumper

We will need to establish what is considered a bridgejump so we don't have too much noise. We could try to decide on a concensus in this thread. As a starting point, I suggest the following guidelines: the bridgejump horse has greater than 75% of the show pool with at least $10,000 bet to show on him.

stu

Last edited by stu; 06-15-2009 at 09:08 AM.
stu is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu
Y'all,

I have just created 'Bridgejumper Alert' Twitter Service. This will be a free community.

The @bridgejumper Twitter account can be followed at http://twitter.com/bridgejumper.

In order to prevent spam tweets, I have made the account protected. You will have to request of me approval to follow @bridgejumper. At least once a day I will check the queue of approvals. I will approve every request. Spam tweets and/or tweets unrelated bridgejumping alerts will recieve a warning message. Accounts will receive 2 warnings and be blocked on the third offense.

The @bridgejumper Twitter account has been configured as a group tweet. Members who are following @bridgejumper can broadcast a message to the whole group by sending a direct message to the group's Twitter account.

For this to work well to compete against the bridgejumpers, followers will have to be active - the price of being free. If the followers are passive, this will not work. The philosophy will be like a 'neighborhood watch.'

2. Login to Twitter

We will need to establish what is considered a bridgejump so we don't have too much noise. We could try to decide on a concensus in this thread. As a starting point, I suggest the following guidelines: the bridgejump horse has greater than 75% of the show pool with at least $10,000 bet to show on him.

stu
i think this service is a great idea for the tracks and adw's. it is the most innovative way to create more business for track handles in years. much better than pick 4's or pick 6's. anytime you can bring a smaller bettor into the game will alway's be good for racetrack handles.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Roghaltz

Thanks for doing this. I will try to chip in.

Roghaltz
Roghaltz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roghaltz
Thanks for doing this. I will try to chip in.

Roghaltz
why should you chip in, the racetracks and adw's will make a ton of money on this idea.!
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
W2G

In the wake of Indian Blessing's run out this idea is compelling.

Questions for anyone who might know or have an educated guess...

Who are these jumpers? Are these syndicates or a bunch of independent agents?
What is their strike rate? I'd have to assume that it is remarkably high, otherwise they would figuratively "jump" and fade away. Only the rare "run outs" get any kind of publicity.
W2G is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
Cadillakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2G
In the wake of Indian Blessing's run out this idea is compelling.

Questions for anyone who might know or have an educated guess...

Who are these jumpers? Are these syndicates or a bunch of independent agents?
What is their strike rate? I'd have to assume that it is remarkably high, otherwise they would figuratively "jump" and fade away. Only the rare "run outs" get any kind of publicity.
I don't think there are any legitimate players or syndicates making money that way in the West. I'm aware of any minus pools or very inflated show prices... I see indications of this type of play very rarely..

I think they are mostly misguided souls, perhaps in some kind of trouble.. or just plain stupid... Two of them that I'm aware of, both at Hollywood Park involved some form of embezzlement from employers.. One of them shot and killed himself in the parking lot afterwards.. His wasn't that big of a loss.. about 40k we figured he bet..

The other I knew about because he stole the money from one of my friends companies.. His bet was a 100k.
Cadillakin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
dutzman

This is great! Thanks for the service!
dutzman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
njcurveball

This person has protected their updates.
njcurveball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2009, 07:26 AM   #9
stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcurveball
This person has protected their updates.
In the 3rd paragraph of the first post in this thread, I said why I protected the updates.

Now there are 11 members of the @bridgejumper group tweet.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:43 AM   #10
Sid

If Barack Obama can twitter a stadium full of voters during an election campaign, this group can easily twitter a minus pool into just another bad show bet.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
RobinFromIreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu

2. Login to Twitter

stu
Very good idea Stu. Are you using GroupTweet.com for this?

Maybe I can eventually help out with Process #1, and write some code that parses the Tote Board to look out for bridge-jumpers.

For those new to Twitter, I would highly recommend using a desktop client (Adobe AIR) that alerts you for new tweets and direct messages (DMs). The two I use are Twhirl (to receive alerts) and Seesmic Desktop (to view multiple twitter streams simultaneously).

A last tip is that clicking "Followers" on @bridgejumper's Twitter profile, you'll see who else is following and is a good way to build a horseracing-related network on Twitter.

I'll retweet this later in the day and link to this post. Expect quite a few requests I imagine.

http://www.twitter.com/robinhowlett
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #12
stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinFromIreland
Very good idea Stu. Are you using GroupTweet.com for this?
Yes
Old 06-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #13
stu

The Twitter "Accept" and "Block" buttons are very close to each other. If you weren't 'accepted' them private message me here on paceadvantage and I will fix it.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
cmoore

Suffolk race 4...Bridgejumper on the 3
cmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #15
Bison
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoore
Suffolk race 4...Bridgejumper on the 3
The 3 paid $2.20 to show. No one jumping off any bridges today at Suffolk.

Last edited by Bison; 06-16-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Reply