Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #31
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
The explicit right to vote is not in the constitution. To vote in the colonies you were required to own land. in Virginia you had to own a minimum amount of land to.

Of course people should have an ID to vote. If I was the boss , to vote you would need to bring your tax returns. If you don't pay taxes I'm iffy about giving you a vote.
I agree. If you don’t have skin in the game you shouldn’t be allowed to vote
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #32
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Not for much longer. The entire world is moving slowly and relentlessly toward all cashless transactions.
I don't think the average heroin pusher is going to take American Express from their clientele.

I've been hearing about this cashless society for a long time.It's still a ways off. Especially since large parts of Europe and Asia still operate on a limited credit model.

What WILL go the way of the 8-track and black and white TV sets is the personal check.-15 years at the most I say.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #33
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
I agree. If you don’t have skin in the game you shouldn’t be allowed to vote
I'd agree but the people who can't vote also shouldn't have to pay sales tax, property tax,gasoline tax and estate tax.They also get rebates on rent payments to account for the portion of the rent their landlord pays in taxes.

Should wealthy individuals get extra votes for paying extra taxes?Only seems fair.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #34
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
I don't think the average heroin pusher is going to take American Express from their clientele.

I've been hearing about this cashless society for a long time.It's still a ways off. Especially since large parts of Europe and Asia still operate on a limited credit model.

What WILL go the way of the 8-track and black and white TV sets is the personal check.-15 years at the most I say.
Most of Europe already has had severe restrictions on cash withdrawals from banks for quite a while now.

Also, try buying a big ticket item with cash in this country. (No heroin doesn't count. )

Any country with an income tax system would greatly prefer digital transactions over cash any day for obvious reasons.

I predict hot dog vendors will be swiping cards soon. Stay tuned...
Old 10-11-2018, 06:31 PM   #35
chadk66

Quote:
I'd agree but the people who can't vote also shouldn't have to pay sales tax, property tax,gasoline tax and estate tax.They also get rebates on rent payments to account for the portion of the rent their landlord pays in taxes.

Should wealthy individuals get extra votes for paying extra taxes?Only seems fair.
well if you can't vote because you don't have skin in the game you obviously aren't paying taxes. Sales tax would be the one exception. Although that is a choice to pay that or not. You don't have to buy things that require sales tax. Gas tax is for highway use so that's really a non factor. I don't think anybody that isn't paying taxes is going to be paying any estate tax lol.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #36
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
What about aliens here on visas?
They should not vote, and they should pay their way, no?
They get the benefit of our roads, our infrastructure, police protection.....
Old 10-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #37
barahona44

Quote:
well if you can't vote because you don't have skin in the game you obviously aren't paying taxes. Sales tax would be the one exception. lthough that is a choice to pay that or not. You don't have to buy things that require sales tax. Gas tax is for highway use so that's really a non factor. I don't think anybody that isn't paying taxes is going to be paying any estate tax lol.
Where is this place that you have a choice of paying a sales tax or not?

Don't buy things that require a sales tax?Many states tax clothing.Cooking utensils, appliances,etc. are taxed.I guess the poor should go naked.And hungry.

Please introduce me to the landlord who doesn't factor in property taxes in how much rent to charge.

And explain to me about gasoline taxes are for highway use only.That's where the money is (supposedly)going, but when you pay at the pump ,you pay the fuel taxes whether you use the highway or not.Unless you think poor people shouldn't have cars.Or clothes.

And many of those not paying income taxes are senior citizens.'Nuff said.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #38
barahona44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
What about aliens here on visas?
E.T. paid taxes!!

Old 10-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #39
chadk66

Quote:
Where is this place that you have a choice of paying a sales tax or not?

Don't buy things that require a sales tax?Many states tax clothing.Cooking utensils, appliances,etc. are taxed.I guess the poor should go naked.And hungry.

Please introduce me to the landlord who doesn't factor in property taxes in how much rent to charge.

And explain to me about gasoline taxes are for highway use only.That's where the money is (supposedly)going, but when you pay at the pump ,you pay the fuel taxes whether you use the highway or not.Unless you think poor people shouldn't have cars.Or clothes.

And many of those not paying income taxes are senior citizens.'Nuff said.
MN for example. Essentials like food and clothing aren’t taxed. If you can show you pay any of these taxes aside from sales and gas taxes then by all means you should vote. If not you have no skin in the game
Old 10-12-2018, 04:43 PM   #40
chadk66

One thing that really pisses me off is people that pay no property taxes get to vote in measures that are using property tax increases to fund them.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:45 PM   #41
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

I can only assume California is next?
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #42
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
One thing that really pisses me off is people that pay no property taxes get to vote in measures that are using property tax increases to fund them.
Always been a pet peeve of mine
Old 10-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #43
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Always been a pet peeve of mine
especially new school building votes. You get all these 18-24 year olds living at home or at college that will probably not ever reside in the city again upon graduating college. Yet they get to vote on a matter that they have no stake in and they all want to spend other peoples money because it's for their buddies.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #44
chadk66

I personally feel that the only people that should vote on property tax measures are those that actually write the check to the county for their taxes. If the issue is important enough and rental property owners can see a benefit they will vote for it. If building good schools helps a rental owner keep his rental property full he will be inclined to vote for it.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #45
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

School taxes are outrageous!

FAR too much money is being spent on things that are not needed for a good education.

People with children should bear that that burden.
Those without children should pay a very nominal annual fee.
Very nominal.

Kids in school should be kicking in by doing community service instead of sports. Mow lawns, shovel snow for the elderly, thing like that. Some many hours needed to pass each year.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: