Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 11-30-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Cigar Mile

Race - Aqueduct - Saturday, December 1st, 2018
STAKES. 1 Mile Dirt. Purse $750,000. Cigar Mile H.

1 Mendelssohn..........Moore Ryan L.
2 Sunny Ridge..........Ortiz, Jr. Irad
3 Pat On the Back......Davis Dylan
4 Stan the Man ........Cancel Eric
5 Copper Town..........Castellano Javier
6 True Timber..........Bravo Joe
7 Timeline.............Velazquez John R
8 Patternrecognition...Ortiz Jose L.

Mendelssohn - if at first you don't succeed, try, try, try, try..........
Sunny Ridge - 2-3-2 in his oly three 1 turn races
Pat on the Back - beaten a neck and a nose in his 4 start for Englehart
Coppertown - done nothing wrong, but will he cause a pace meltdown
today?
True Timber - not with your money
Timeline - last race makes him a contender p finally getting back to last year's good form?
Pattern Recognition - probably can't win today's race shape

Last edited by Tom; 11-30-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2018, 12:25 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Not a huge fan of the race, but I'll take a shot with Timeline if 8-1 or more. TimeformUS has a fast pace being likely, he has the best Late Pace rating, and he had a very tough trip last time on a track coded red (speed favoring) in a race that had a slow pace (blue pace figures).
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
biggestal99

MOTO play is the 8.

Undefeated at track and distance
won a G2 last out
popped a career best 103 at CD (course and distance) in the spring.

top trainer and jock
3 consecutive triple digit beyers

whats not to like (the price...yuck)

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2018, 02:08 PM   #4
Andrick

I like the as well, and he's really the only one in the field I'd be interested in at the price he'll be offered at.

Maybe / / if I did play for the ex and tri, which I probably won't.
Andrick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
Robert Fischer
clean money

Copper Town, Sunny Ridge, Timeline.

Could be value in the race if Mendelssohn and/or Patternrecognition take a ton of money.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:59 AM   #6
Valuist

How many cross Atlantic trips has Mendelssohn made? And a trip to Dubai as well.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2018, 02:27 AM   #7
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
How many cross Atlantic trips has Mendelssohn made? And a trip to Dubai as well.

I don't think he has left since rolling in for the Kentucky Derby. I certainly could be wrong.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2018, 03:30 AM   #8
jay68802

Mendelssohn

Pat On the Back

Copper Town

Stan the Man

In that order, GL.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #9
098poi

$2 Ex Box , ,
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
I don't think he has left since rolling in for the Kentucky Derby. I certainly could be wrong.
He's been back and forth each time. A NYRA press release for the Cigar Mile mentions him having to clear quarantine at Belmont before being able to ship to Aqueduct.

He was in Ireland between the Jockey Club Gold Cup and BC Classic, too.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #11
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
He's been back and forth each time. A NYRA press release for the Cigar Mile mentions him having to clear quarantine at Belmont before being able to ship to Aqueduct.

He was in Ireland between the Jockey Club Gold Cup and BC Classic, too.

Welp. I was wrong.

That is just shit-assed stupid. No other way to put it.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #12
Robert Fischer
clean money

Honest Opinions

Mendelssohn - O'Brien is getting the hang of this thing of ours. Next crop or three, he could produce a Derby contender... This horse made us some money so far due to his popularity. However, he has shown to be a tough horse and has matured as they tried to make him into a speed horse. Today he gets significant pace relief, and the Pletcher horse may not even fire. Not a ton of value here, but he's a top contender to run off with this race and Win.

Sunny Ridge is a hard-hitter. If Mendelssohn or Copper Town don't make their own luck, this guy is going to feast.

Pat on the Back is a cool NY-bred. You really have to root for him. Others appear more likely.

Stan the Man - "Stan the Man Musial" The 'Donora Dandy'. How can I not like a hunch play with a horse sharing the nickname of Donora boy? Others appear more likely.

Copper Town - Flip a coin. Heads you got a talent to keep Mendelssohn honest or even wire this field. Tails you got a sprinter with some talent and some issues, and they are praying they can hold him together in hopes to add a Grade-1 to his nice pedigree for breeding purposes.

True Timber - Hopes to 'suck up' in a race where the pace scenario is too formidable for his participation. Not a bad horse. He could trip into a board spot if he's forward and conservative on 'cruise control'. He could be dead last if he tries. Price is decent enough for gimmicks, but unlikely to make a winning bid.

Timeline - Handsome boy has matured into a grinding OC/$$ type. Hasn't lived up to his precocious start. I think he'll finish in front of his stablemate today. Tough to win with those horses trying to win on the lead, and with Sunny Ridge being a better stalker. I like Timeline, and he's finally a usable price. Jumps off the page as a key underneath of a Trifecta and Superfecta.

Pattern Recognition - He's been really thriving this season, and he's a solid OC/$$ type who can capitalize when there aren't good horses on the pace. This is kind of a bad race for him. A harsh, rude awakening type of thing. You look to exclude Pattern Recognition from the exacta in your exactas, tris, supers... You can't blame the connections or the trainers for entering, and I'm sure he'll bounce back for more nice optional claimer type of races.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:58 PM   #13
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Mendelssohn - O'Brien is getting the hang of this thing of ours. Next crop or three, he could produce a Derby contender... This horse made us some money so far due to his popularity. However, he has shown to be a tough horse and has matured as they tried to make him into a speed horse. Today he gets significant pace relief, and the Pletcher horse may not even fire. Not a ton of value here, but he's a top contender to run off with this race and Win.
I don't know how much speed relief he's really getting. Patternrecognition will be on or near the lead after several extended sprints this summer. True Timber is stretching out to a mile after several sprints and has flashed speed in his two-turn tries. Copper Town, off a long layoff last out, broke poorly but advanced to the front as soon as he recovered--he set fast paces in his races at a mile or more last year.

It's probably moot since Mendelssohn has drawn the rail, but given his modicum of stamina in longer races (he usually only caves in the final 1/16th), he might be better served with a stalking trip. He was fried when facing sprint speed in the one-turn mile Dwyer in the summer. He has a router's early speed--geared towards controlling the pace, not outgunning everything else--but this race might lean towards some sprint speed.

Ryan Moore worked out a similar trip for him in the BC Juvenile Turf way back when, and he broke from the rail that day, too.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #14
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Full on buying the Copper Town in this very weak G1 field. 2/1 or better is a play.

Will look to get Pat On the Back in the 2 hole or Sunny Ridge or Patternrecognition
Old 12-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #15
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
I don't know how much speed relief he's really getting. Patternrecognition will be on or near the lead after several extended sprints this summer. True Timber is stretching out to a mile after several sprints and has flashed speed in his two-turn tries. Copper Town, off a long layoff last out, broke poorly but advanced to the front as soon as he recovered--he set fast paces in his races at a mile or more last year.

It's probably moot since Mendelssohn has drawn the rail, but given his modicum of stamina in longer races (he usually only caves in the final 1/16th), he might be better served with a stalking trip. He was fried when facing sprint speed in the one-turn mile Dwyer in the summer. He has a router's early speed--geared towards controlling the pace, not outgunning everything else--but this race might lean towards some sprint speed.

Ryan Moore worked out a similar trip for him in the BC Juvenile Turf way back when, and he broke from the rail that day, too.
Pattern Recognition and True Timber aren't up to the task. Non factors.

Yea, if Copper Town is blazing on a mission, you'd prefer Mendelssohn cruise along off of him and not lock into some all out duel, but it's not like Mendelssohn is going to have to fight for position out of the gate. This Mile at Aqueduct doesn't call for that, especially in this field.

Just break, and cruise near the lead and try to go on.

I've bet against Mendelssohn in 5 straight races, and it's been good to me. Today he's a player.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 12-01-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: