Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 11-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
dnlgfnk

MLB Pace of Play

From the guy who wants to place a runner on 2B to begin extra innings...

..."We need to make every effort that we can to make our games as crisp and have as little dead time as possible"...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.4ac0fb5e6cef

unless...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ambling-wagers

In the near future, there will be a pitch clock to measure the time before a pitch may be thrown.
dnlgfnk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
jk3521
Registered Loser

I've been thinking a better solution might be to pull a middle infielder in extra innings. Why give a team a runner in scoring position right off the bat?

Last edited by jk3521; 11-28-2018 at 02:14 PM.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2018, 03:17 PM   #3
TJDave

LEAVE BASEBALL ALONE!

What’s the hurry?

It’s America’s pastime.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
Marshall Bennett

Limit the number of trips to the mound by managers/pitching coaches to 3 a game. A trip by either counts as one. Limit a catchers trip to the mound similarly. Instant replay challenges limited to post season games only.
I wouldn't alter extra-inning play.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 02:55 PM   #5
Valuist

MLB has nobody to blame but themselves. Most specifically, the obsession with pitch velocity. More strikeouts, more walks, more foul balls, more full counts and ultimately, more injuries. Less balls in play is hurting the game, big time.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2018, 01:25 AM   #6
ultracapper

Yea, MLB is just dying. Humungous TV deals in every market. The good teams drawing a million fans by Memorial day, most the others by the All-star break.

How is MLB hurting itself? There might be complaints, but there's no shortage of money or fans, and there won't be in our lifetimes.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 09:36 PM   #7
coachv30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521 View Post
I've been thinking a better solution might be to pull a middle infielder in extra innings. Why give a team a runner in scoring position right off the bat?
This takes the double play out of the picture....totally changing the game of baseball. Not a good idea at all.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #8
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Once they solve baseball's problem they can start working on football. Having quit watching football a few years ago, I recently saw about twenty minutes of a game. Oh by gosh by golly that is a slow game.

If baseball is like watching paint dry, football is like watching someone watch paint dry.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #9
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachv30 View Post
This takes the double play out of the picture....totally changing the game of baseball. Not a good idea at all.
Automatically giving a team a runner in scoring position without them earning it isn't totally changing the game? The double play is the biggest rally killer in baseball. Take that away from the game in extra innings.

Last edited by jk3521; 12-10-2018 at 06:21 PM. Reason: eam
Old 12-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #10
coachv30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521 View Post
Automatically giving a team a runner in scoring position without them earning it isn't totally changing the game? The double play is the biggest rally killer in baseball. Take that away from the game in extra innings.
I don't agree with the runner on 2nd deal either...but take out a middle infielder? How about leave the game as is.....what's next, 7 innings instead of 9?

The game has it's built-in occurrences that can lead to longevity at times such as fouling multiple balls off, pitchers taking / shaking off signs, holding runners / pick-off moves, hitters/runners looking down for signs, pitching changes, etc..Are we gonna play 3 fouls and you're out? Only one pick move per inning? True fans will watch the game in its duration. You can always check the score the next day if you can't take it anymore.

Same goes for the shift. I'm not a huge fan of it but I am even less of a fan of banning it. Someone comes up with an idea of re-configuring the defense and now people want it outlawed? It's a strategic move that works in the defense's favor often. However, if teams / players would be willing to work on beating it in the off-season you wouldn't see it as often.

Last edited by coachv30; 12-10-2018 at 10:22 PM.
coachv30 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2018, 10:37 PM   #11
MutuelClerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
What’s the hurry?

It’s America’s pastime.

It's too slow for me and I'm old. As a matter of fact i'm old enough to remember Harold Baines being a good ballplayer. But NOT a Hall Of Famer.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2018, 11:27 PM   #12
horses4courses

Purist's Delight

Don't change a thing....ever.

Except have pitchers hit in both leagues.
That's the way the rules were written.
It also speeds the game up slightly.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2018, 11:46 AM   #13
coachv30

Theres one big problem with today's game.the whole idea of a "run is a run" has gotten lost in a game of glamour. Its all about the long ball, launch angles and sabermetrics/analytics. This is forcing sme players to be who they are not.

We have more players hitting 10 homeruns / season and striking out 40% of the time. You see more strikeouts than flyballs than ever before. The concept of manufacturing runs has gone out the window. Why dont we see players try to beat the pull shift by hitting it hard through the hole the other way? Because they are convinced its not their game nor todays game either....i can go on and on....
Old 12-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #14
coachv30

Quote:
Theres one big problem with today's game.the whole idea of a "run is a run" has gotten lost in a game of glamour. Its all about the long ball, launch angles and sabermetrics/analytics. This is forcing sme players to be who they are not.

We have more players hitting 10 homeruns / season and striking out 40% of the time. You see more strikeouts than flyballs than ever before. The concept of manufacturing runs has gone out the window. Why dont we see players try to beat the pull shift by hitting it hard through the hole the other way? Because they are convinced its not their game nor todays game either....i can go on and on....
Should read "and"
Old 12-11-2018, 06:05 PM   #15
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
I don't agree with the runner on 2nd deal either...but take out a middle infielder? How about leave the game as is.....what's next, 7 innings instead of 9?

The game has it's built-in occurrences that can lead to longevity at times such as fouling multiple balls off, pitchers taking / shaking off signs, holding runners / pick-off moves, hitters/runners looking down for signs, pitching changes, etc..Are we gonna play 3 fouls and you're out? Only one pick move per inning? True fans will watch the game in its duration. You can always check the score the next day if you can't take it anymore.

Same goes for the shift. I'm not a huge fan of it but I am even less of a fan of banning it. Someone comes up with an idea of re-configuring the defense and now people want it outlawed? It's a strategic move that works in the defense's favor often. However, if teams / players would be willing to work on beating it in the off-season you wouldn't see it as often.

I don't really want to change the rules in any way either. What I'd like to change is the mind set of all the players and see them go back to the original basics of the game . In the words of Terence Mann..