Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 04-23-2018, 02:33 PM   #1
Valuist

NFL draft

So of the likely 5 (maybe even 6) QBs to go in the first round, who will have the best career?

I'm going with Baker Mayfield. So far the only knock on Mayfield is his height. If he was 6'3" or taller, he'd be the clear number one. Some knocked the defenses he lit up, but then he went up against one of the best defenses in Georgia and put a hurt on them. Teams will say "we want a big prototype QB in the mold of Peyton Manning". Manning would've been great if he was 6'1". His height didn't make him great; his work ethic and understanding of the game did.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
So of the likely 5 (maybe even 6) QBs to go in the first round, who will have the best career?

I'm going with Baker Mayfield. So far the only knock on Mayfield is his height. If he was 6'3" or taller, he'd be the clear number one. Some knocked the defenses he lit up, but then he went up against one of the best defenses in Georgia and put a hurt on them. Teams will say "we want a big prototype QB in the mold of Peyton Manning". Manning would've been great if he was 6'1". His height didn't make him great; his work ethic and understanding of the game did.
Height's important but as Drew Brees and Russell Wilson have shown, it's not the be-all and end-all.

I don't think any of these guys are going to be superstars.

There's too many legitimate questions for that to happen.But they could be a couple of very good ones.I think Rosen and Mayfield have the best chance of being productive for a long time.USC QB's (Darnold) are guilty until proven competent in the NFL.Allen is the wild card; love the arm and the build but accuracy is an issue and he's played against a low/lower level of competition in high school, JC and Wyoming.Classic boom or bust.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
MutuelClerk

So if you're the Browns and the object of this draft is to find a QB why not draft a QB with your first and fourth pick overall? Then use the rest of your picks on players and positions you feel you need. If both QB's pan out you move one down the line. If only one pans out you're set for years. If neither pan out I guess you are the cursed franchise everyone says you are. The last QB I remember them having that was any good at all was Kosar? He wasn't elite but was pretty decent. You can't really win in this league without a good QB. Seems like their best chance to get that top QB. It's outside the box. But it could get you to the promised land. Thoughts?
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
sour grapes
Veteran

baker mayfields immaturity

is what will drop him down the list of drafted qbs,reading the ny papers the jets will pick either usc or ucla qbs ahead of him.
sour grapes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
So if you're the Browns and the object of this draft is to find a QB why not draft a QB with your first and fourth pick overall? Then use the rest of your picks on players and positions you feel you need. If both QB's pan out you move one down the line. If only one pans out you're set for years. If neither pan out I guess you are the cursed franchise everyone says you are. The last QB I remember them having that was any good at all was Kosar? He wasn't elite but was pretty decent. You can't really win in this league without a good QB. Seems like their best chance to get that top QB. It's outside the box. But it could get you to the promised land. Thoughts?
That's not going to work. Teams can barely develop one QB let alone two. And the one not starting is going to get his feelings hurt. Unless they love one of the QBs, they are better off taking Barkley #1 (best player in the draft) and choose a QB with the 4th pick. QBs are all risks, and there isn't one that stands out to me in the draft. And if they suck again this year, they will get a high pick in next year's draft. They are not one pick away from being a Super Bowl contender anyway.

As a Bears fan, that's the mistake that Ryan Pace made last year -- moving up one slot and losing picks to take a QB that will be above average at best. Trubisky is not a franchise quarterback. They also were not a QB away from being a contender. But that pick saved his job because he will argue that the QB needs time to develop, but I digress...

Given that this is the Browns, they will find a way to mess this up.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
Valuist

Quote:
That would be a huge mistake. There's a reasonable chance none of these 5 QBs ever become better than replacement level. They also acquired Tyrod Taylor, while not an All-Pro, he's a huge upgrade over what they had. Taylor basically does one thing: he doesn't turn the ball over, and turnovers have absolutely destroyed the Browns in recent years. When you are 0-16, you can't use two picks for one position, even QB.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
I'm going with Baker Mayfield. So far the only knock on Mayfield is his height.
The other knock on him is that he's a tool -- a Johnny Manziel-type without the obvious drug/alcohol problems. Didn't Cleveland draft Manziel? OMG -- they might do it again with Mayfield.

I still think that of this draft Sam Darnold will have the best NFL career. Or maybe the CFL, not sure.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #8
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
The other knock on him is that he's a tool -- a Johnny Manziel-type without the obvious drug/alcohol problems. Didn't Cleveland draft Manziel? OMG -- they might do it again with Mayfield.

I still think that of this draft Sam Darnold will have the best NFL career. Or maybe the CFL, not sure.
I don't think its right to lump Mayfield in with Manziel. Mayfield is a little cocky, which isn't unusual for QBs. Manziel was a narcissistic alcoholic. A huge difference.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:49 PM   #9
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
I don't think its right to lump Mayfield in with Manziel. Mayfield is a little cocky, which isn't unusual for QBs. Manziel was a narcissistic alcoholic. A huge difference.
ESPN did some kind of extended interview thing about him that I watched today. He's a tool. Maybe not Manziel, but he's got the potential to be Jameis Winston. Given that he's no lock to succeed and arguably the fourth or fifth best QB coming out, I'll pass thank you. But it's the Browns, so...

And I was right about Manziel. There's a draft thread here about him so you could look it up.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:35 PM   #10
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
ESPN did some kind of extended interview thing about him that I watched today. He's a tool. Maybe not Manziel, but he's got the potential to be Jameis Winston. Given that he's no lock to succeed and arguably the fourth or fifth best QB coming out, I'll pass thank you. But it's the Browns, so...

And I was right about Manziel. There's a draft thread here about him so you could look it up.
Based on passing efficiency, he was the #1 QB in the NCAA last year. People questioned the defenses in the Big 12 but then he faced the top defense in Georgia and lit them up. Both the SoCal QBs beat up on bad defenses and Darnold threw way too many picks. Rosen has talent but he's slight; an injury risk. Allen? He was only "Honorable Mention" in the Mountain West. That's pretty weak. Not even 60% completion vs weak secondaries. IMO, it's clear who the top QB is, and word is that Mayfield's stock is moving up every day.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #11
headhawg
crusty old guy

Let's just check this thread again in...let's say...five years?
Old 04-25-2018, 12:22 AM   #12
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Geez, I thought that you were exaggerating with that comment so I looked it up. You are 100 percent right! And before Bernie it was Brian Sipe. You have to go back to the late 70s/early 80s for that. I swear that Cleveland will mess this up. They might be better off trading the 2nd pick and drafting at #4. That way they have fewer choices.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:24 AM   #13
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
That would be a huge mistake. There's a reasonable chance none of these 5 QBs ever become better than replacement level. They also acquired Tyrod Taylor, while not an All-Pro, he's a huge upgrade over what they had. Taylor basically does one thing: he doesn't turn the ball over, and turnovers have absolutely destroyed the Browns in recent years. When you are 0-16, you can't use two picks for one position, even QB.
A guy like Taylor - a game manager - is more effective on a solid team. I think that all of the guys mentioned have a higher upside than he does.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:43 AM   #14
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
Geez, I thought that you were exaggerating with that comment so I looked it up. You are 100 percent right! And before Bernie it was Brian Sipe. You have to go back to the late 70s/early 80s for that. I swear that Cleveland will mess this up. They might be better off trading the 2nd pick and drafting at #4. That way they have fewer choices.
They passed on Big Ben in 2004, so I expect Cleveland to mess this up. Watch them take a placekicker or something.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2018, 07:47 AM   #15
tucker6

I agree with others who doubt the eventual quality of this QB class. They are NOT on par with the quality of 1983 or 2004. Not even close. I thought Wentz was going to shine right away. Sometimes a guy with talent and a chip on his shoulder comes along and you know it when you see it. I don't see it this year, but hope I'm wrong. I expect 2-3 serviceable guys, but no superstar. Darnold is probably my pick of the litter if given the choice.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: