Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-16-2017, 11:33 PM   #1
elysiantraveller

Game of Thrones?

Maybe some levity in here...

Anyone here watch this show? The SO loves it but I just can't seem to get in to it. I'm on my third attempt now at it and am well into season 3. Not looking to attack fans on of it just curious what people on here think of it.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 11:56 PM   #2
johnhannibalsmith

I tried it once and thought it was unwatchable. But, it isn't really my genre anyway.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2017, 12:00 AM   #3
FantasticDan
gelding

I've always been a big sci-fi and fantasy fan, so I love the show. The funny thing is I didn't even really know it was on until season one was over and already out on disc. I also bought the original series of books, but honestly, with the backlog I've got, good chance I'll never get to them.

It's impossible to really absorb the show in its first viewing, there are so many characters and plot turns. The second time through was when I started to fully appreciate it.

I have many friends and family who watch (or have tried to), you're not alone in not really connecting with it.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2017, 12:52 AM   #4
davew

I do not have HBO but have bought and binged on HOMELAND and Game of Thrones - GOT has some slow sections, but is interesting how the 'ruling class' jumps around.

I like HOMELAND better.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2017, 12:54 AM   #5
AltonKelsey
Veteran

I watch anything done well.

As long as it isn't zombie garbage, though they seem to slip that in when I least expect it.

Preacher
American Gods

If you're into really strange, they make GOT look like Disneyland
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2017, 01:12 AM   #6
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
I do not have HBO but have bought and binged on HOMELAND and Game of Thrones - GOT has some slow sections, but is interesting how the 'ruling class' jumps around.

I like HOMELAND better.
Homeland season 1 was probably one of the best done seasons of TV ever. Afterwards it went downhill I thought.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:18 AM   #7
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
I've always been a big sci-fi and fantasy fan, so I love the show. The funny thing is I didn't even really know it was on until season one was over and already out on disc. I also bought the original series of books, but honestly, with the backlog I've got, good chance I'll never get to them.

It's impossible to really absorb the show in its first viewing, there are so many characters and plot turns. The second time through was when I started to fully appreciate it.

I have many friends and family who watch (or have tried to), you're not alone in not really connecting with it.
I love sci-fi and am not as keen on fantasy. From watching it though I do think the books would be a better vehicle for the story and I don't think for me it lends itself too well for TV. The show just simply involves too many characters and subplots for me. In a book there is more time to explain relationships and motives but on the screen the characters actions at times seem completely implausible and illogical. I guess it works for ah-ha moments and water cooler conversation which does lend itself to the buzz
Old 08-17-2017, 03:41 AM   #8
Sinner369

To appreciate the.............???

To appreciate the show you have to watch it from the beginning.........and how the main

characters got to where they are now............the first two seasons are always the best "must

watch episodes" so you would know their history.....and how they got to where they are NOW.

Last edited by Sinner369; 08-17-2017 at 03:52 AM.
Sinner369 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2017, 03:48 AM   #9
Dahoss2002

I know its been on for years but I'm on season 1 just watched 4th episode. Cant tell how many seasons i will watch, but its pretty good at this point
Dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2017, 07:12 AM   #10
RunForTheRoses

I started watching in season 3, I binged watched to catch up. Normally, I wouldn't like a show like that-fantasy, but this show is different, very complex. There is also some great acting such as Peter Dinklage.

I like also how the story doesn't have the good guys always win, in fact many times they get slaughtered, like in real life.

I just watched the leaked next episode last night and it is a good one. Lots of action and it really moves the plot.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #11
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
I watch anything done well.

As long as it isn't zombie garbage, though they seem to slip that in when I least expect it.

Preacher
American Gods

If you're into really strange, they make GOT look like Disneyland
American Gods blew me away.. crazy and amazing.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #12
Secondbest

I read the books years ago, still waiting for the next, only been 8 or 9 years.
The show is my favorite because like another poster said the good guys don't always win. The Red Wedding proved that.Also the characters are really fleshed out with their motives ,likes dislike hates and loves you feel you know them. The acting is very good especially Peter Dinklage and Lena Heady.HBO splitting the last season into 2 really sucks. 5 episodes this year and then you wait a year for 4 more.Ugh.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #13
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest View Post
HBO splitting the last season into 2 really sucks. 5 episodes this year and then you wait a year for 4 more.Ugh.
Actually this season has 7 eps (this Sunday is ep6), and the final season will have 6.

I can understand the diminished number of eps, the CGI budget for each of these last couple seasons is on a par with a major movie.

I read there's a chance the final season won't air until 2019..
Old 08-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #14
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Actually this season has 7 eps (this Sunday is ep6), and the final season will have 6.

I can understand the diminished number of eps, the CGI budget for each of these last couple seasons is on a par with a major movie.

I read there's a chance the final season won't air until 2019..
Your right on the number of episodes. I stand corrected.It just seems less. The reason for not ending this year is all about ratings and more subscriptions to HBO. But nothing we can do but wait to see who wins the game.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #15
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest View Post
I read the books years ago, still waiting for the next, only been 8 or 9 years.
The show is my favorite because like another poster said the good guys don't always win. The Red Wedding proved that.Also the characters are really fleshed out with their motives ,likes dislike hates and loves you feel you know them. The acting is very good especially Peter Dinklage and Lena Heady.HBO splitting the last season into 2 really sucks. 5 episodes this year and then you wait a year for 4 more.Ugh.
Yeah see I'd have to do the books first I think because I don't get that from the show. I think because it moves around so much its hard to convey the development and people seem to act very irrational. Its not bad and I certainly understand why its as popular as it is. Just can't connect. Dinklage is amazing in it though. Character is super well acted and has great dialogue.

Wrapped up Ozark the other day and found that enjoyable. Its essentially a watered down Breaking Bad but interesting to see Bateman in that role and the episodes he directed were well done. Laura Linney is also very good in her role.