Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-16-2017, 07:07 PM   #1
carterista
Apprentice

Del Mar Paciic Classic Great Card---NOT!!!

This stupidity has no bounds, only cable companies screw their customers as much as the racing industry. What on earth prompts these Racing Secretaries to card Maiden races as final leg of P-4-5-6?

How am I supposed to bet into a blind pool of racing cripples Cal breds at Del Mar in Race 11. There are three bug boys in this race, trainers that come from Northern Cal boondocks, first time starters and horses bred as pleasure animals that should adorn someones lawn.

So I happened to listen to Steve Byk and he's interviewing Cavallo(sp?), the owner of Beach Patrol, who is boasting how he hit the rainbow six at Gulfstream when the pool was $16 million?

So I get it, I am supposed pad the pool for guys like Cavallo with deep pockets and inside information.

My days of playing verticals are coming to very quick end are going to be limited to sensible cards only designed to pad MY pocket and not some 'fat cat.'

So, if you are a racing secretary at Del Mar or Saratoga, I do hope that you step into horse manure in the backstretch.
carterista is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 07:18 PM   #2
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterista View Post
This stupidity has no bounds, only cable companies screw their customers as much as the racing industry. What on earth prompts these Racing Secretaries to card Maiden races as final leg of P-4-5-6?

How am I supposed to bet into a blind pool of racing cripples Cal breds at Del Mar in Race 11. There are three bug boys in this race, trainers that come from Northern Cal boondocks, first time starters and horses bred as pleasure animals that should adorn someones lawn.

So I happened to listen to Steve Byk and he's interviewing Cavallo(sp?), the owner of Beach Patrol, who is boasting how he hit the rainbow six at Gulfstream when the pool was $16 million?

So I get it, I am supposed pad the pool for guys like Cavallo with deep pockets and inside information.

My days of playing verticals are coming to very quick end are going to be limited to sensible cards only designed to pad MY pocket and not some 'fat cat.'

So, if you are a racing secretary at Del Mar or Saratoga, I do hope that you step into horse manure in the backstretch.
this is nothing new, they always put the fullest field and most completely unpredictable race last....only been doing it for 20 years.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #3
betovernetcapper

When Ainsile first started writing about horse racing, he called the daily double a sucker's bet, because you were betting into a blind pool. A few years later they began to show the current probable payoffs on the TV screens & it became a much better bet. If betting into one blind pool (the daily double) makes you a sucker, then what does betting into 3-4-5-6 or 7 blind pools make you?
We have the technology to show what the odds are in every race of a pic 3/4/5/6/7. The money is in the pool, just show the current odds of leg 2 then race 3 and so on prior to the first leg. This is not an unreasonable request. If it can be done for the double, why can't it be done for other multiple races?

My posts & letters & avatars & whatever reflect solely my own world view- Born in 1948 and never an I.C.E. visit
betovernetcapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #4
Robert Fischer
clean money

How do we take a race like the Pacific Classic seriously?

Arrogate is the best horse we've seen since Secretariat, and ran like a claimer last time.

He could run an amazing Grade 1 race that no one can touch, but he'll be favored in a short field, and we don't know if something is wrong with him.

As a fan, and as info for the Classic, it's interesting, but not an interesting betting race.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #5
Franco Santiago

Quote:

Blind pools like the P4 are wonderful. Bettors can't see combinations that are overbet, and therefore the pool has a much greater chance of being inefficient. In addition, the large number of combinations means that there is a greater opportunity for a mistake by the public.

You can get better at handicapping the large field of bums if you put your mind to it. These races offer tremendous opportunities in the horizontals because most people are afraid of them and spread too much. Don't let "it's too difficult" be an excuse.

Oh, and FWIW, I concur completely regarding the cable companies!

Last edited by Franco Santiago; 08-16-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Franco Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #6
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
How do we take a race like the Pacific Classic seriously?

Arrogate is the best horse we've seen since Secretariat, and ran like a claimer last time.

He could run an amazing Grade 1 race that no one can touch, but he'll be favored in a short field, and we don't know if something is wrong with him.

As a fan, and as info for the Classic, it's interesting, but not an interesting betting race.
I think if Arrogate does not fire that Collected, who has figures almost on par with Arrogates best, is gonna win.

I will likely make some plays in the multi race bets with that in mind because the value is gonna be there.

You have to bet against arrogate, the last was too bad to think suddenly he is doing good again a few weeks later.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:16 PM   #7
carterista
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I think if Arrogate does not fire that Collected, who has figures almost on par with Arrogates best, is gonna win.

I will likely make some plays in the multi race bets with that in mind because the value is gonna be there.

You have to bet against arrogate, the last was too bad to think suddenly he is doing good again a few weeks later.
Can Collected stay 1 1/4 miles? We already know that Accelerate likes the track and should get the distance being by Lookin at Lucky and his damsire is Awesome Again.
carterista is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 09:44 PM   #8
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by betovernetcapper View Post
When Ainsile first started writing about horse racing, he called the daily double a sucker's bet, because you were betting into a blind pool. A few years later they began to show the current probable payoffs on the TV screens & it became a much better bet. If betting into one blind pool (the daily double) makes you a sucker, then what does betting into 3-4-5-6 or 7 blind pools make you?
We have the technology to show what the odds are in every race of a pic 3/4/5/6/7. The money is in the pool, just show the current odds of leg 2 then race 3 and so on prior to the first leg. This is not an unreasonable request. If it can be done for the double, why can't it be done for other multiple races?

Though folks seem to have a great love affair with those bets, I've always avoided them.

Have enough trouble getting edge when I can SEE the odds, and SEE the horses I'm betting.

As far as showing the odds, there are too many permutations. You could probably show the 'overall' odds of each horse in each race, BUT, that would not tell you what any sequence would pay.

Last edited by AltonKelsey; 08-16-2017 at 09:46 PM.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 09:49 PM   #9
GMB@BP

Quote:
Can Collected stay 1 1/4 miles? We already know that Accelerate likes the track and should get the distance being by Lookin at Lucky and his damsire is Awesome Again.
I think Accelerate is going to have a tough time with this distance increase. I will use him as a backup though.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:58 PM   #10
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Arrogate workout

http://www.xbtv.com/video/del-mar/ar...ust-14th-2017/
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 11:34 PM   #11
classhandicapper

Trying to estimate the probability that Arrogate is going to fire his "A" race seems like a fool's errand. "Maybe" Bob Baffert has some insights that could help, but he's the one that either sent him out extremely short or "off" in some way last time. So even he may not know.

This would not be the first time a horse got extremely sharp for a few races and then backed off a bit or the first time a horse threw in an inexplicable dud and then bounced back. The latter is more typical of fillies though.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:06 AM   #12
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
the first time a horse threw in an inexplicable dud
I am trying to think of a dirt horse who ran basically like a 10k claimer then returned to running 125 beyers.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:22 AM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I am trying to think of a dirt horse who ran basically like a 10k claimer then returned to running 125 beyers.
Not 125 Beyers, but Lava Man did it every time he shipped. It used to happen more often when horses actually raced 10 or 12 times a year, or more. Now, not so much. Holy Bull's Derby comes to mind, won the Met Mile next out in fast time.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2017, 12:22 AM   #14
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:

Attached Images
File Type: png silvercharm.png (148.5 KB, 45 views)

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2017, 12:38 AM   #15
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith View Post
Yea that race was cited before and after the San Diego....any others?