Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #76
dkithore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
"This all began because someone decided, as other elected officials have across the country, to cave in to partisan political pressures and seek to erase American history. History is not there for us to love or hate, but for us to learn from and seek to not repeat its mistakes.

If there are those who truly believe we protect ourselves by trying to revise history due to false emotions, then we miss out on who we are as a nation, and our evolution. The statues of long since deceased leaders of the Confederate Army do not stand to remind anyone of oppression. And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues."

https://www.allenbwest.com/2017/08/1...ryone-missing/
dkithore is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2017, 05:49 PM   #77
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
By your estimation are there "decent people" attending white supremacist rallies?
I am 100% certain there are decent people that can make an intellectually honest case for not removing statues of Lee, renaming buildings and streets etc... I just had a conversation with a Jewish friend of mine with an education in history that made that case to me. I suggested all the confederate statues should be moved to a museum so we don't lose the history and education aspect of them but also don't celebrate them. He thought that was a reasonable compromise, but still thought they should remain.

I don't know for sure because I wasn't there, but I strongly suspect that at least some of the people that were at that rally were more interested in the statue remaining than any hate filled feelings towards minorities.

Then there were white nationalist scumbags there using the statue issue as a rallying point for their racism. They came armed and ready for confrontation because they knew there would be leftist scumbags there that think the way to address bigotry, racism etc.. is to beat people up, destroy property, riot, loot, shoot cops etc...

They both came looking for a fight and they got one. Some innocent people got killed and hurt as a result.

IMO we need to start calling both sides out for their violence and arresting as many of them as we can when they break the law. In the mean time we also have to deal with people like those at the Washington Post that are coming dangerously close to inciting more violence. That's not a solution.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 08-17-2017 at 05:50 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2017, 06:06 PM   #78
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I am 100% certain there are decent people that can make an intellectually honest case for not removing statues of Lee, renaming buildings and streets etc... I just had a conversation with a Jewish friend of mine with an education in history that made that case to me. I suggested all the confederate statues should be moved to a museum so we don't lose the history and education aspect of them but also don't celebrate them. He thought that was a reasonable compromise, but still thought they should remain.

I don't know for sure because I wasn't there, but I strongly suspect that at least some of the people that were at that rally were more interested in the statue remaining than any hate filled feelings towards minorities.

Then there were white nationalist scumbags there using the statue issue as a rallying point for their racism. They came armed and ready for confrontation because they knew there would be leftist scumbags there that think the way to address bigotry, racism etc.. is to beat people up, destroy property, riot, loot, shoot cops etc...

They both came looking for a fight and they got one. Some innocent people got killed and hurt as a result.

IMO we need to start calling both sides out for their violence and arresting as many of them as we can when they break the law. In the mean time we also have to deal with people like those at the Washington Post that are coming dangerously close to inciting more violence. That's not a solution.
Your second paragraph is spot on, at least from original reports. Since then it's become "neo nazis vs the good guys" by CNN and elsewhere, describing each individual that was there.. The demonstration was to keep the statues in place, not to promote violence. Mix in the fringe right wing element, the fringe left wing element, results are what they are

Still, that isn't a demonstration I'd be onboard with joining. But they did have their right to assemble and have their voices heard, Imo.

Great post, class handicapper. I agree all around.

Last edited by ElKabong; 08-17-2017 at 06:09 PM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #79
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Add Al Sharpton along with Angela Rye to the list of complete idiots who don't know the difference between racist Civil War leaders and the founding fathers. Most know who the rev is. For those who don't know Rye, she is the former executive director of the Congressional Black Caucus.

According to them George Washington is a slave owner and his statue/memorial along with Thomas Jefferson's and General Lee's must come down.

The left does not disappoint.

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 08-17-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #80
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
.................................................. ...................

And regardless of our tin eared President's assertions otherwise, there is no slippery slope from removing Confederate statutes to renouncing Thomas Jefferson. Only complete idiots would be unable to understand the differences.
[emphasis added]

You severely underestimate the amount of idiocy in the left wing of the dem party.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:35 PM   #81
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
By your estimation are there "decent people" attending white supremacist rallies?
100% sure nobody has said that.

Not even our current President; regardless of what our media tries to tell you.

In the end, THEY have a voice. Regardless of whether you support that voice or not, it is called the 1st Amendment. They even went about doing it the right way in securing their place.

Now why people with bats and clubs showed up to "oppose" their voice? I'd sure like to hear that superb reasoning.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2017, 09:43 PM   #82
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
100% sure nobody has said that.

Not even our current President; regardless of what our media tries to tell you.

In the end, THEY have a voice. Regardless of whether you support that voice or not, it is called the 1st Amendment. They even went about doing it the right way in securing their place.

Now why people with bats and clubs showed up to "oppose" their voice? I'd sure like to hear that superb reasoning.
The Chair of the RNC denounced the white nationalists. Does anyone know, has the vulgarity spewing Chair of the DNC denounced the alt-left anarchists for their violence?
Old 08-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #83
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
The Chair of the RNC denounced the white nationalists. Does anyone know, has the vulgarity spewing Chair of the DNC denounced the alt-left anarchists for their violence?
No. Too busy "resisting", loving Hillary, and being a complete lefty loser.

Tom Perez.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2017, 07:43 AM   #84
jimmyb

Found this.

Actors and Photographers Wanted in Charlotte

Crowds on Demand, a Los Angeles-based Public Relations firm specializing in innovative events, is looking for enthusiastic actors and photographers in the Charlotte, NC area to participate in our events. Our events include everything from rallies to protests to corporate PR stunts to celebrity scenes. The biggest qualification is enthusiasm, a "can-do" spirit. Pay will vary by event but typically is $25+ per hour plus reimbursements for gas/parking/Uber/public transit.

For more information about us, please visit www.crowdsondemand.com

If you're interested in working with us, please reply to this posting with the following info:
  • Full Name
  • Prior relevant experience (as an actor/performer, photographer, brand ambassador, political activist, etc)
  • When are you usually available for work?
  • Resume (optional)
  • If you're a photographer, what equipment do you use?
  • Are you ok with participating in peaceful protests (optional)?

So what is "Crowds on Demand?" According to their own website, they're in the business of sourcing large crowds of people to "provide clients with protests, rallies, [and] flash-mobs" all over the country. They even have an entire page on their website dedicated to "Protests and Rallies."
jimmyb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2017, 10:32 PM   #85
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Does anyone know, has the vulgarity spewing Chair of the DNC denounced the alt-left anarchists for their violence?

No, but he has funded them!

Old 08-18-2017, 11:24 PM   #86
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY View Post
Vietnam Veterans are American Heroes, NOT LOSERS.
They fought for the U.S.A. in Vietnam not against us.

Conferates were traitors that tried to break up the United States & thankfully lost.
They were responsible for the deaths of more than 600,000 Americans.
The leaders should have been hung, not honored with Statues.

I will not dignify your personal attack against me with a response.
Umm......just saw this. I in no way was making a personal attack on you. I guess that you took it as I was calling "Vietnam vets" losers. And now I guess I can draw from your comments that you served in Vietnam.

I was speaking much more broadly. I was addressing your original, short post, that losers don't deserve statues. I stretched the thinking to say that if you stuck with that short definition that you could stretch that definition to Vietnam vets and the memorial. Which in my mind is up next on the agenda of these wacky leftist.

Maybe I could have worded it better. But please, in no way take offense. I wasn't speaking of anyone personally.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:04 AM   #87
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

What should be the fate of the Phil Sheridan statue in Chicago, I think it is? He was on the good side, the winning side, the side that deserves monuments to eternal recognition.

He is also credited with the saying, "The only good Indian is a dead Indian."
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2017, 07:54 AM   #88
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
What should be the fate of the Phil Sheridan statue in Chicago, I think it is? He was on the good side, the winning side, the side that deserves monuments to eternal recognition.

He is also credited with the saying, "The only good Indian is a dead Indian."
After the war Sheridan was appointed Military Governor of the Fifth Military District (Texas and Louisiana). While in that position, he is also credited with saying, "If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell."

So, yeah, take his statue down.

Mule
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #89
DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
After the war Sheridan was appointed Military Governor of the Fifth Military District (Texas and Louisiana). While in that position, he is also credited with saying, "If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell."

So, yeah, take his statue down.

Mule
I've been to Texas.

Given the choice, I'd probably flip a coin.
DSB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #90
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
the last president brought them to the white house for strategy sessions

and money extorted from corporations in 'fines'
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: