Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-16-2017, 09:16 AM   #1
jimmyb

what everyone is missing

"This all began because someone decided, as other elected officials have across the country, to cave in to partisan political pressures and seek to erase American history. History is not there for us to love or hate, but for us to learn from and seek to not repeat its mistakes.

If there are those who truly believe we protect ourselves by trying to revise history due to false emotions, then we miss out on who we are as a nation, and our evolution. The statues of long since deceased leaders of the Confederate Army do not stand to remind anyone of oppression. And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues."

https://www.allenbwest.com/2017/08/1...ryone-missing/
jimmyb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #2
davew

only half the people in the country are missing that, they have some sort of liberal spread disease
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
tucker6

Toppling statues is no different than burning books. Both lead to a decline in the understanding of history and our doom to repeat it.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #4
MutuelClerk

Common sense and respect for one another.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #5
MONEY

Losers shouldn't get trophies or statues.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #6
classhandicapper

I find myself more aligned with the left on this.

I don't want statues toppled or destroyed. Destroying them is one notch above the Taliban. However, statues are generally put up as a symbol of admiration. That's why we've built status of Secretariat and Zenyatta, but not a statue of a $1500 claimer from Finger Lakes. A better place for them is a museum where we would not lose the history, but not make them symbols of admiration.

I have similar but not exactly the same feelings about the confederate flag.

For people in the south, the confederate flag evolved from a symbol of the confederacy, civil war, slavery etc... into a symbol of modern southern pride. There is nothing wrong with southerners feeling pride in their current values and lifestyle. That's something that northern liberals could never quite grasp or purposely refused to acknowledge.

The problem was two fold

1. Modern racists also adopted it as their symbol.

2. When you know some people are misunderstanding what you are saying and that some bad people are adopting your symbol, maybe it's just easier and better for everyone to pick another symbol to express your pride.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #7
FantasticDan
gelding

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #8
Ocala Mike

Most of the statues in question were put up as a reaction to what was viewed at the time (early and mid-20th century) as encroachments on the south's prevailing racist attitudes, i.e., the advancement of civil rights.

Anyway, if you think the underlying protest was about removal of statues and not about neo-Nazism, anti-semitism, and white supremacy, you need to watch the Vice video shot Friday night.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
I can agree with the above sentiment. However, mob rule is absolutely a grievous mechanism to use to the above stated ends. Also, you cannot not convince me the true motivation by these vandals is to preserve history in a museum. You do not vandalize, destroy, spit and stomp on a statue you want to preserve in a museum.

The alt-left needs to be called out for what they are. They are anarchists with an agenda of violence. The left, especially the media, needs to stop trying to justify the violence committed by these anarchists by assigning some noble motive to their violent mob actions.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
"This all began because someone decided, as other elected officials have across the country, to cave in to partisan political pressures and seek to erase American history. History is not there for us to love or hate, but for us to learn from and seek to not repeat its mistakes.

If there are those who truly believe we protect ourselves by trying to revise history due to false emotions, then we miss out on who we are as a nation, and our evolution. The statues of long since deceased leaders of the Confederate Army do not stand to remind anyone of oppression. And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues."

https://www.allenbwest.com/2017/08/1...ryone-missing/
Everyone is missing the objective standard for the exercise of a constitutional right, which is exercising the right responsibly.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #11
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
I can agree with the above sentiment. However, mob rule is absolutely a grievous mechanism to use to the above stated ends. Also, you cannot not convince me the true motivation by these vandals is to preserve history in a museum. You do not vandalize, destroy, spit and stomp on a statue you want to preserve in a museum.

The alt-left needs to be called out for what they are. They are anarchists with an agenda of violence. The left, especially the media, needs to stop trying to justify the violence committed by these anarchists by assigning some noble motive to their violent mob actions.
So true.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #12
olddaddy

And another issue is unearthed to divide the masses so power wont be held by the masses. Divide and conquer once again.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #13
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I'm for getting rid of the public statues commemorating the south's civil war "heroes" but I'm also for arresting all those who participated in the unlawful toppling of the statues.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #14
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I'm for getting rid of the public statues commemorating the south's civil war "heroes" but I'm also for arresting all those who participated in the unlawful toppling of the statues.
+1
Old 08-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #15
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
Most of the statues in question were put up as a reaction to what was viewed at the time (early and mid-20th century) as encroachments on the south's prevailing racist attitudes, i.e., the advancement of civil rights.

Anyway, if you think the underlying protest was about removal of statues and not about neo-Nazism, anti-semitism, and white supremacy, you need to watch the Vice video shot Friday night.
If one considers a statue as a form of speech, then they should be protected by the 1st Amendment. Which, of course, does not guarantee that the statue or speech might not be offensive to someone.

What everyone is missing here is that we're seeing violence usurp the 1st Amendment (and there's a reason it's number 1) and undermine the rule of law. A very dangerous thing indeed - much more dangerous than the incoherent, unorganized and ineffective activities of a very small group of racists. Made even more dangerous by the Antifa pawns being funded by the alt-left.

The push back from the larger group of "deplorables" won't be based on race - it'll be based on having to become more extreme just to survive.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply