Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 11:41 PM   #376
jimmyb

The padua farm is for sale in Ocala as are others equipped to take care of Bush League Downs. Dirt and turf course included. Almost a turnkey for what you're looking for. Anyone have a spare 17 mil laying around?

https://www.ocalahorseproperties.com...farm-for-sale/

Last edited by jimmyb; 08-14-2017 at 11:44 PM.
jimmyb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2017, 12:53 AM   #377
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Lots of complaining but no real solutions. In spite of greater technology and the ability to go after the internet masses, the industry is inevitably going nowhere but the end of the line.

Maybe solutions exist, maybe they don't. I think some of what highnote comes up with holds merit. It's more than I can say for the powers that be.
JimmyB I just grabbed two quotes from two different posts and it cracked me up when I thought of it as one sentence!

I hear you about complaints and no real solutions. As has been said were viewed as the rabble that dirties up a beautiful game, we sure as hell aren't the customer. It is what it is. After 21 years I have no loyalty to any particular track or circuit. My bread and butter is turf races so I have to take what I can for my own good even if it isn't the greater good. It's hard enough to be able to win period. Kentucky has the player held hostage IMO. I bet a lot of NY and Cali but I like the bloodstock and races in Kentucky. I won't eliminate those races. They don't care about what's good for us. So what? That's how it's always been. Some places I can't stand including my home tracks. I take what I know I can get from tracks. I can't boycott myself out of wins to prove a philosophical point. Not a great HANA member I reckon. But I'm sticking to my selfish game. What they do you always have to adjust to. I try to take a slice out of about 8 tracks a week. Not having loyalty to any of them in particular is about as boycott as you can get. I play where I think I can win. There is a real solution! And that solution is better than being an unhinged cracker at Bush league Downs!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #378
highnote

Quote:
The padua farm is for sale in Ocala as are others equipped to take care of Bush League Downs. Dirt and turf course included. Almost a turnkey for what you're looking for. Anyone have a spare 17 mil laying around?

https://www.ocalahorseproperties.com...farm-for-sale/
17 million is a lot. Someone posted about 60 minutes re-airing a story about timber racing. I bet the track didn't cost anywhere near 17 million.

The key is to find a cheap piece of land not too far from a population center.

Maybe it doesn't exist in America anymore? I don't know real the national real estate market.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #379
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
JimmyB I just grabbed two quotes from two different posts and it cracked me up when I thought of it as one sentence!

I hear you about complaints and no real solutions. As has been said were viewed as the rabble that dirties up a beautiful game, we sure as hell aren't the customer. It is what it is. After 21 years I have no loyalty to any particular track or circuit. My bread and butter is turf races so I have to take what I can for my own good even if it isn't the greater good. It's hard enough to be able to win period. Kentucky has the player held hostage IMO. I bet a lot of NY and Cali but I like the bloodstock and races in Kentucky. I won't eliminate those races. They don't care about what's good for us. So what? That's how it's always been. Some places I can't stand including my home tracks. I take what I know I can get from tracks. I can't boycott myself out of wins to prove a philosophical point. Not a great HANA member I reckon. But I'm sticking to my selfish game. What they do you always have to adjust to. I try to take a slice out of about 8 tracks a week. Not having loyalty to any of them in particular is about as boycott as you can get. I play where I think I can win. There is a real solution! And that solution is better than being an unhinged cracker at Bush league Downs!
Hopefully racing will survive somewhere. It still survives in England and purses are a lot smaller there.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #380
Andy Asaro

You understand that if a Horseplayer owned track started up nobody would take your signal. It would be smashed and bankrupted by the Industry. They say there's no price fixing but we all know there is price fixing.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #381
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
You understand that if a Horseplayer owned track started up nobody would take your signal. It would be smashed and bankrupted by the Industry. They say there's no price fixing but we all know there is price fixing.
A good place to start would be to have a conversation with Ron Geary, who bought Ellis Park back in July of 2006.....I believe he knows more about the trials, struggles and operations of an individually owned track better than anyone in the business...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #382
highnote

Quote:
Bankruptcy is one of the infinite possibilities. It might be the most likely, but then again longshots sometimes win.

How do you know that no one would take the signal?
Old 08-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #383
jimmyb

Quote:
I believe they would If they are bottom line oriented. Money has more power than anything I've seen. It's the capatilist way.

BTW, how's the HANA donation thing doing? Ahhhhh, the power of money!!!
jimmyb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #384
Andy Asaro

Quote:
I believe they would If they are bottom line oriented. Money has more power than anything I've seen. It's the capatilist way.

BTW, how's the HANA donation thing doing? Ahhhhh, the power of money!!!
HANA donation thing?

The twitter poll is at about 31% with a much larger sample. You combine both polls and it's a pretty good comittment to raise ad money. Many people on the board have said they wouldn't donate and wouldn't bet on their own regardless of a boycott or not.

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 08-15-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #385
highnote

Quote:
HANA donation thing?
What would disuade an adw from taking Bush League Downs' signal?
Old 08-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #386
AlsoEligible

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
What would disuade an adw from taking Bush League Downs' signal?
Well at least two (XpressBet and Twin Spires) are owned by race track conglomerates (Stronach Group and Churchill), so I doubt they would want to provide Bush League Downs with any revenue if their real goal is to squash a player-owned track.

TVG is a little more neutral, and might be interested if there was enough demand from customers. Probably a long shot, though.

That leaves the smaller ADW outlets, many of whom would probably take the signal.

But without the big three, and assuming that most of the major tracks don't take the signal for the reasons Andy pointed out...then is there really enough revenue to survive?
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #387
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoEligible View Post
Well at least two (XpressBet and Twin Spires) are owned by race track conglomerates (Stronach Group and Churchill), so I doubt they would want to provide Bush League Downs with any revenue if their real goal is to squash a player-owned track.

TVG is a little more neutral, and might be interested if there was enough demand from customers. Probably a long shot, though.

That leaves the smaller ADW outlets, many of whom would probably take the signal.

But without the big three, and assuming that most of the major tracks don't take the signal for the reasons Andy pointed out...then is there really enough revenue to survive?
I don't know for sure but I bet the rest of the adw's worldwide dwarf xpressbet and cd. Where do the biggest syndicate's bet? I bet wherever it is they don't bet at with those two.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:51 PM   #388
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoEligible View Post

Do xpressbet or cd offer rebates to retail players? If not, what are they doing to help players?
Old 08-15-2017, 04:51 PM   #389
AlsoEligible

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
I don't know for sure but I bet the rest of the adw's worldwide dwarf xpressbet and cd. Where do the biggest syndicate's bet? I bet wherever it is they don't bet at with those two.
There are a few syndicates that play with xpressbet, not sure about twin spires. TVG also has some high volume players.

For the most part the larger whales do play through other outlets who specialize in rebates, but if you're going to depend on whales to provide revenue for a player-friendly track, that really defeats the purpose.

Quote:
If not, what are they doing to help players?
Besides giving people the ability to wager on almost any track in the world, while sitting in front of the computer in their underwear? ADWs provide convenient access to a larger wagering menu than any track or OTB. What else do you think players are entitled to?

Last edited by AlsoEligible; 08-15-2017 at 04:53 PM.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2017, 10:24 PM   #390
Andy Asaro

Excerpt from Pricci article.

Watchdogs are not supposed to sit at a round table with an industry it’s supposed to be monitoring.

Horseplayer advocates should be sitting across the table from industry stakeholders. If not, it’s inherently conflicted--not White House-sized conflict but nevertheless at cross purposes with the people it is chartered to represent.

http://www.horseraceinsider.com/Sara...o-for-players/
=========================================

The people on the panel are all top notch but as I’ve said before, going there and sticking to the same plan as before the Keeneland takeout hike was a mistake IMO.