Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 12:46 AM   #1
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Timonium 2016

Only 4 more weeks to opening day!

They are having their usual 7-day meet on 08/26 thru 08/28, and 09/02 thru 09/05).

For those not familiar, Timonium is a 5/8-mile oval and races are run in conjunction with the Maryland State Fair. Race distances are 4f, about 6.5f, 1 mile, and 1 1/16 miles. Typical race days have 9 races and sometimes 10. Post time for the first race is approximately 1:05 p.m.

The outside grandstand seating is free, mostly under cover, a great view of the entire track, and comfortable wooden seats. Inside (on the 2nd floor) is an air-conditioned simulcast area and bar/restaurant.

Regular General Admission, which gets you into the fair and races was $8, but may have increased to $10. Parking on the fairgrounds is $5 IF you arrive early enough. Outside parking is much higher. If all remains as in past years, I can get you in for FREE, but you need to send me a private message as early in advance as possible so that we can coordinate.

Smaller coolers are allowed in as long as they contain no glass, and no beer/alcohol. (The latter was just implemented in the past year or two to "protect" on-site vendor liquor sales.).

Timonium has held racing for something like 120 years, albeit not all at the exact present site. In addition to the racing, the fair has food, carnival rides and games, and agricultural exhibits and judging contests.

In past years, PA members charm city whizz, proximity, and ronsmac have graced Timonium with their presence. I know that there are a number of others who are within driving distance who we hope will join us this year.

Timonium..............a unique racing experience!

Last edited by Track Collector; 08-23-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:49 AM   #2
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector
Only 4 more weeks to opening day!

They are having their usual 7-day meet on 08/26 thru 08/28, and 09/02 thru 09/05).

For those not familiar, Timonium is a 5/8-mile oval and races are run in conjunction with the Maryland State Fair. Race distances are 4f, about 6.5f, 1 mile, and 1 1/16 miles. Typical race days have 9 races and sometimes 10. Post time for the first race is approximately 1:05 p.m.

The outside grandstand seating is free, mostly under cover, a great view of the entire track, and comfortable wooden seats. Inside (on the 2nd floor) is an air-conditioned simulcast area and bar/restaurant.

Regular General Admission, which gets you into the fair and races was $8, but may have increased to $10. Parking on the fairgrounds is $5 IF you arrive early enough. Outside parking is much higher. If all remains as in past years, I can get you in for FREE, but you need to send me a private message as early in advance as possible so that we can coordinate.

Smaller coolers are allowed in as long as they contain no glass, and no beer/alcohol. (The latter was just implemented in the past year or two to enhance on-site vendor sales.).

Timonium has held racing for something like 120 years, albeit not all at the exact present site. In addition to the racing, the fair has food, carnival rides and games, and agricultural exhibits and judging contests.

In past years, PA members charm city whizz, proximity, and ronsmac have graced Timonium with their presence. I know that there are a number of others who are within driving distance who we hope will join us this year.

Timonium..............a unique racing experience!
PM Me and Charm City. He and I have a tentative plan for Labor Day weekend.....
Old 07-29-2016, 01:00 AM   #3
proximity

depending on how i do in vegas i might try for a tim-ct double on the 2nd or 3rd?

we gotta get EMD or some of these big guns here to attend this year!!!
Old 07-29-2016, 01:03 AM   #4
Track Collector

Who Will Be There and When

When possible, fellow PaceAdvantage members like to meet up with other PaceAdvantage members. To that end, This specific posting will capture visit plans so that other can coordinate when they might attend. It will be updated as intentions become known, so check back frequently. DO let me know of your intentions, either in this thread or via private message.

VISIT SCHEDULE:

Friday (08/26) --> charm city whizz, proximity, ronsmac, Track Collector
Saturday (08/27) --> Track Collector
Sunday (08/28) --> charm city whizz, Track Collector

Friday (09/02) --> charm city whizz, Track Collector
Saturday (09/03) --> Track Collector
Sunday (09/04) --> proximity, ronsmac (and Patty), Track Collector
Monday (09/05) --> Scanman, Track Collector (and Marcia)

Last edited by Track Collector; 09-05-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:51 PM   #5
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector
When possible, fellow PaceAdvantage members like to meet up with other PaceAdvantage members. To that end, This specific posting will capture visit plans so that other can coordinate when they might attend. It will be updated as intentions become known, so check back frequently. DO let me know of your intentions, either in this thread or via private message.

VISIT SCHEDULE:

Friday (08/26) --> Track Collector
Saturday (08/27) --> Track Collector
Sunday (08/28) --> Track Collector

Friday (09/02) --> Track Collector
Saturday (09/03) --> Track Collector
Sunday (09/04) --> Track Collector
Monday (09/05) --> Track Collector
I am hooking up with Charm City Whizz for some golf. And until I realized the MD Fair was open for business that weekend, I was just gonna head up for Sat and Sun....NOw I am thinking of extending by one day so we can get together for the races on Friday....
Old 07-31-2016, 09:47 PM   #6
Fan Since The 50's

I will try to attend September 4th.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:51 AM   #7
ronsmac

I will definitely make opening weekend. I'm not sure which day yet but I'll let you know. I see Timonium is giving out trainer bonuses to try and increase the size of the fields. Did they do that last year?
Old 08-16-2016, 01:38 PM   #8
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
I will definitely make opening weekend. I'm not sure which day yet but I'll let you know. I see Timonium is giving out trainer bonuses to try and increase the size of the fields. Did they do that last year?
I believe they've given out the trainer bonuses for a number of yrs, if by "trainer bonuses" you mean the leading-meet trainer receives $5k or something like that.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:42 AM   #9
Track Collector

Racing begins next Friday.

Anyone else interested in attending The Big T? How about VeryOldMan, Robert Fischer, and/or GateToWire? Don't you guys live relatively close? And See2si has attended before, but for whatever reason we have not been able to meet up.

Charm City Whizz, Proximity, and ronsmac will be there sometime or other, and I'll update the list (post#4) once they confirm which date(s) they will be attending.

Timonium...........a nice racing experience made even better with the company of fellow PaceAdvantage members!

Maryland's excellent announcer Dave Rodman usually calls the races, and I hope he is here again along with Equibase charter Keith.

And of course the drama mounts..........will Charm City Whizz be announced as a "Timonium Fan of the Day" for an unprecedented 4th consecutive year???
Old 08-19-2016, 12:54 AM   #10
Track Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
Last year they did give out bonuses, but this year I think it is doubled.

The top point earner (Points for Win/Place/Show/Unplaced Starter) gets $5K, $4K, $3K, and $3K respectively.

Also, the trainer who earns the most purse money will receive $5K. Should they qualify for this, they would drop off the top point earner list (if they were in the top 4) and be replaced by the next in line.

With the budget crunch in PA and WV, purses at Timonium will be attractive compared to places like Charles Town and Penn National. Unfortunately, and like in past years, horses stabled at those tracks will probably not be allowed to run at Timonium without serious consequences.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:26 AM   #11
charm city whizz

Count me in!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2016, 06:38 PM   #12
Track Collector

Entries are up for opening day on Friday.

Races have 7,7,7,6,8,8,7,7, and 10 entries respectively before any scratches.

Weather is forecasted to be mostly sunny with a high of 94 degrees and a 20% chance of rain. Nice conditions to watch/enjoy racing, but one should stay under cover or inside the simulcast area to be comfortable. The grandstand seats (which are free) are wooden and more than acceptable to use.

I am still working on my wagering/handicapping strategies for the meet, and hope to have them completed in the next day or two. Maybe this year can be a winning one!

Old 08-23-2016, 08:08 PM   #13
proximity

chris, do you know what time the fair itself opens friday?
Old 08-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #14
Scanman

I will be there on Monday, September 5th.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:06 PM   #15
Track Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanman
I will be there on Monday, September 5th.
The undisputed KING of Track Collecting!

What a nice and pleasant surprise. I don't remember, will this be your very first visit to Timonium?

(For everyone one else, Tom and I have met up a few times in the past. The most recent was by pure coincidence a few years back at White Pine Raceway in Ely, NV.).
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: